U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Massapequa
238 posts, read 151,092 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

So I'm looking to get a convertible as a second car mostly for fun. I'm not into modding or racing anymore, just driving with the top down and having some power. A clean 03/04 Mustang Cobra seems to go for about double what a 2001 goes for. 20k vs. 10k. I understand the mechanical differences (supercharged, 6 speed, forged engine on the newer one) Being objective, is it really worth spending double for the terminators? Keeping in mind I have no intention to race or mod. The only objective reason I can think of is that they have obviously held their value more and will be better collector cars. I was thinking the 01 may even handle slightly better with a lighter engine up front. All opinions welcome, including other cars to consider (20k max). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
5,088 posts, read 9,036,966 times
Reputation: 7765
If you just looking for a fun convertible, why not a v6 or regular gt? If your not set on a mustang, why not the gold standard for fun convertibles (Miata)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Massapequa
238 posts, read 151,092 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If you just looking for a fun convertible, why not a v6 or regular gt? If your not set on a mustang, why not the gold standard for fun convertibles (Miata)
The v6 is a little too tame to be fun in my opinion. I'd prefer a Cobra to a GT for the superior handling and ride comfort over bumps. I used to have a 2004 Mach 1 and that car was awesome, but handling left a lot to be desired and any large bumps were pretty nasty in the cabin. Unfortunately I don't fit well in a Miata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 08:47 AM
 
8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Reputation: 12181
It really comes down to if you want a 320HP N/A V8, or the supercharged (and underrated) 390HP V8. That's the reason for the price difference. In terms of modification potential, the latter can make big numbers (500HP+) with relatively little modification such as a pulley, tune and exhaust.


Because of this, the 03/04's are holding value well, which is crazy considering you can buy a used '15 Mustang for the same price. You just don't have the ease of modification with the '15 that you would on the supercharged motor.


Nothing wrong with the '01 cobra. If you want more power, add a supercharger. Still a fine car for cruising around and looks pretty sharp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Massapequa
238 posts, read 151,092 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It really comes down to if you want a 320HP N/A V8, or the supercharged (and underrated) 390HP V8. That's the reason for the price difference. In terms of modification potential, the latter can make big numbers (500HP+) with relatively little modification such as a pulley, tune and exhaust.


Because of this, the 03/04's are holding value well, which is crazy considering you can buy a used '15 Mustang for the same price. You just don't have the ease of modification with the '15 that you would on the supercharged motor.


Nothing wrong with the '01 cobra. If you want more power, add a supercharger. Still a fine car for cruising around and looks pretty sharp.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to focus on an 01. For what I'm going to be using it for, it's not worth the extra cost. You are spot on about the 15 as well. If I were to spend 20k it would be on one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Oak Ridge, NC
5,531 posts, read 3,791,158 times
Reputation: 3541
I would love to have a Cobra, but there's no way I can ever afford to drop $20k on a car that I would only drive on occasion. Shoot, as much as I'd like to have a GT, I would probably wind up getting an Ecoboost since it would be a daily driver (any car I spend more than $10k on is going to be a daily driver.)

I'm probably tied to my Honda Accord for years to come. Can't ever get my wife on board with me having another Mustang, so I guess I'll drive the Accord until I can convince her to let me have a big SUV or full size truck. Love the dependability of my Accord, but the drive is just so boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Massapequa
238 posts, read 151,092 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I would love to have a Cobra, but there's no way I can ever afford to drop $20k on a car that I would only drive on occasion. Shoot, as much as I'd like to have a GT, I would probably wind up getting an Ecoboost since it would be a daily driver (any car I spend more than $10k on is going to be a daily driver.)

I'm probably tied to my Honda Accord for years to come. Can't ever get my wife on board with me having another Mustang, so I guess I'll drive the Accord until I can convince her to let me have a big SUV or full size truck. Love the dependability of my Accord, but the drive is just so boring.
I've been saving for a long time to spend some money on a second car, but i've come to the realization that I'm not dropping 20k either. 10k range seems decent, maybe a bit more. I like the 01 Cobra, now I just have to wait for the right one to come along. Life is too short to drive a boring car every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
2,634 posts, read 1,736,381 times
Reputation: 2699
What makes you think one is going to ride better than the other? 01 - 04s are basically the same car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 AM
 
16,476 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Reputation: 23521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
So I'm looking to get a convertible as a second car mostly for fun. I'm not into modding or racing anymore, just driving with the top down and having some power. A clean 03/04 Mustang Cobra seems to go for about double what a 2001 goes for. 20k vs. 10k. I understand the mechanical differences (supercharged, 6 speed, forged engine on the newer one) Being objective, is it really worth spending double for the terminators? Keeping in mind I have no intention to race or mod. The only objective reason I can think of is that they have obviously held their value more and will be better collector cars. I was thinking the 01 may even handle slightly better with a lighter engine up front. All opinions welcome, including other cars to consider (20k max). Thanks.
Buy the 01 as itís less popular. Then if you want to add power you can supercharge it and still have money to add a suspension kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Massapequa
238 posts, read 151,092 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
What makes you think one is going to ride better than the other? 01 - 04s are basically the same car.
I was comparing the GT/Mach 1 to the Cobras when talking about handling. The Cobras I'm looking at all have a very similar IRS setup. All the other Mustangs have a solid rear axle. From experience, i'm not looking to go back to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top