Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why do you think Ford stop making them they were not selling so why would you think that they would bring that size truck back.
I think it would sell. Pretty much all trucks that were mini trucks are bloated fat pigs that are almost full size.
The reason rangers were killed off was the design was ancient in car world, lackluster sales, and the price was pretty much at the F150 level so it was canniballizing sales. The only mini truck lef5 is the Frontier which is in bad need of a remake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Exactly which "fleet buyer" bought the Ranger? I never saw a caravan of Rangers anywhere. The very few Rangers I see now look utterly pathetic.
Home Depot, Lowes, and some city utilities.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Exactly which "fleet buyer" bought the Ranger? I never saw a caravan of Rangers anywhere. The very few Rangers I see now look utterly pathetic.
Correct I’ve never seen a fleet of compact trucks, i love it when these people can’t handle the truth why ford stopped making the Ranger I was not selling just like the S10 it was not selling why continue to make something that’s not selling. Get over it compact trucks are not coming back from the Big3:

Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Towards the end of the Ranger production, exterminators were the biggest fleet buyer representing about 10% of sales. They were 2 WD, 4 cylinder, manual, base models which were the least profitable. That industry loved them because they were cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain, and kept the operator separated from the chemicals.

Here is an Orkin example:

Many utility, construction, auto parts companies, etc. also used the Ranger for fleet work.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:18 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Towards the end of the Ranger production, exterminators were the biggest fleet buyer representing about 10% of sales. They were 2 WD, 4 cylinder, manual, base models which were the least profitable. That industry loved them because they were cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain, and kept the operator separated from the chemicals.

Many utility, construction, auto parts companies, etc. also used the Ranger for fleet work.
Perfect size for a nice 400+ hp V8.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:

Apparently they didn’t buy enough because they stopped making them if Ford or GM were making money do you really think they would of stopped making them, you have to sell millions to make money it takes millions to pay for workers and to keep an assembly plant open ant to pay suppliers. Ford and GM know the automotive business they know what model of theirs is selling and the compact ranger and S10 pickups were not selling like they were. Everybody wants a full to mid size truck and for the few that prefer the compact truck buy use because that’s all your going too be able to get. They are not going to make a compact pickup again get use to it. And the Ranger was nothing but an Explorer with a small pickup bed same cab.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:19 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So are Tacoma’s. Truthfully other than Nissan Frontier there isnt a small truck out there anymore. Tacoma’s and Chevy/gmc are basically midsize. Not everyone needs a full size truck. I think there are a lot of people who would still go out and buy a Ranger.
I certainly would. As soon as I can afford it, I'll be looking for a used Ranger.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct I’ve never seen a fleet of compact trucks, i love it when these people can’t handle the truth why ford stopped making the Ranger I was not selling just like the S10 it was not selling why continue to make something that’s not selling. Get over it compact trucks are not coming back from the Big3:
The truth is sales had nothing to do with why the Ranger was killed. Ford has always believed there was a market for a Ranger and before they stopped investing in it the Ranger sold quite well.

The reason the Ranger was killed was cost - specifically, how much it cost to build versus how much revenue they could get for it. The Ranger was one of the biggest money losing products Ford had at the time and there was simply no shortcut to profitability with it. (Due to supply base issues, plant issues, etc.) Once the CAFE fuel economy rules were changed, and the Ranger no longer helped avoid CAFE penalties in the truck group - BOOM -the Ranger got killed.

There has been plans to use the global T6 platform and bring the Ranger back for years. Problem is, they also struggled to show a business case where there was enough profit potential to do so. It kept getting declined and at some point they got over the hump and got the approval to spend the investment on it. So we’ll see how it ends up....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(T6)

Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:

Orkin uses Tacomas now in my area.

The water dept in my town does have some Rangers they used to use for meter reader trucks, but now that they’ve switched to digital meters I’m not sure they even use them anymore. OReilly auto parts uses Rangers as parts delivery trucks, and I think the Advance Auto here uses Colorados.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:54 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
... Truthfully other than Nissan Frontier there isnt a small truck out there anymore. Tacoma’s and Chevy/gmc are basically midsize. Not everyone needs a full size truck. I think there are a lot of people who would still go out and buy a Ranger.
The Frontier is a midsize now (2018 model). I don't know what model year Nissan upsized it but the '18s are 206-219″ L x 73″ W versus 189-204" L x 69" W for the 2011 Ranger. The older Frontiers were smaller and were sub-200" as well.

Which means... there are no new compact trucks being sold in the USA and none on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln