Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times

Advertisements

Been doing a lot of reading re both possibility.

Not so much with Ford itself but with all the other makes moving towards Electric.
I look at the Electric distance per charge. Using round numbers, if my limit is say 300 miles then I could go 150 and need a charge or make it back home w/o one.
As with a Hybrid could still get gas and no worry's.
Oil prices climbing and the gas pump follows.

As a former mechanic/business owner now retired am considering a Hybrid that I can keep an eye on with low maintenance. The combo of pwrwise suits my small driving needs.

Some of the complaint issues shown via the Internet could have been from lack of knowledge by lay people while many issues could have been prevented.

Have noticed Hybrid prices holding their own in some areas of the country...weather/climate being a factor.
Anyone else here have any insight or positive thoughts along with my line of thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
I've yet to own a Hybrid - not that I'm turned off by the idea, but just have never owned one. That being said, I cringe at the thought of a Hybrid Mustang.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You might see spikes in the oil field prices of oil over the next few years but after that, don't expect oil prices to remain high. Oil wells that were depleted years ago are now pumping again and the oil field under the Gulf of Mexico is just starting to come online. That oil field is the largest in the world and so far they don't know exactly how big it is. It runs from Brazil to Mexico, to the USA so it covers most of the Gulf and some of the Atlantic. It's of the sweet variety meaning it doesn't have a lot of sulfur in it like the goo we get from the arab nations. It also has an abundance of natural gas which we need to bleed off and use considering it's under over 8000lbs of pressure and is leaking into the Gulf at an alarming rate. We can either use it or watch it kill the Gulf of Mexico. You'll be seeing more options for CNG vehicles pretty soon. They are a lot cleaner than the current gasoline engines.

For a local commuter car, electric makes a lot of sense as long as the motors used are of low ozone. Ozone is a by-product of running an electric motor, it's not a clean product like most would like to think. But it also doesn't consume oxygen which has been shown to be lower since the introduction of the combustion engine. What is interesting is some of the magnetic technologies where the hiway has a polarized cable/mat under it and the vehicle has the opposite polarity. The fuel is still electric but it's not used via a brush or brushless motor, just as an energizer for the magnetic coils in the car. Then you have a true zero emissions vehicle. Otherwise, with electric cars as we know them today, people are just fooling themselves if they think the electric makes for a zero emissions vehicle. The electricity doesn't come out of the air and has to have a fuel to make it. All that's being done is the emissions moved from the tailpipe to the electric plant. The pollution is still there.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You might see spikes in the oil field prices of oil over the next few years but after that, don't expect oil prices to remain high. Oil wells that were depleted years ago are now pumping again and the oil field under the Gulf of Mexico is just starting to come online. That oil field is the largest in the world and so far they don't know exactly how big it is. It runs from Brazil to Mexico, to the USA so it covers most of the Gulf and some of the Atlantic. It's of the sweet variety meaning it doesn't have a lot of sulfur in it like the goo we get from the arab nations. It also has an abundance of natural gas which we need to bleed off and use considering it's under over 8000lbs of pressure and is leaking into the Gulf at an alarming rate. We can either use it or watch it kill the Gulf of Mexico. You'll be seeing more options for CNG vehicles pretty soon. They are a lot cleaner than the current gasoline engines.

For a local commuter car, electric makes a lot of sense as long as the motors used are of low ozone. Ozone is a by-product of running an electric motor, it's not a clean product like most would like to think. But it also doesn't consume oxygen which has been shown to be lower since the introduction of the combustion engine. What is interesting is some of the magnetic technologies where the hiway has a polarized cable/mat under it and the vehicle has the opposite polarity. The fuel is still electric but it's not used via a brush or brushless motor, just as an energizer for the magnetic coils in the car. Then you have a true zero emissions vehicle. Otherwise, with electric cars as we know them today, people are just fooling themselves if they think the electric makes for a zero emissions vehicle. The electricity doesn't come out of the air and has to have a fuel to make it. All that's being done is the emissions moved from the tailpipe to the electric plant. The pollution is still there.
Good post, Trapper. That's an interesting take on the electric cars, and something I've never thought about. I remember listening to Clark Howard on his take of electric vehicles. He said with the technology being relatively new, it's best to lease those vehicles to avoid the high cost of maintenance as the vehicle ages. Probably a smart move, but then it keeps you in the car payment cycle, on going.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Have a neighbor/friend who bought a New Ford (Electric) all electric as he calls it ( self charging) but still puts gas in it's tank...
never asked him why.
Anyway see where New EV 2019 are coming out along with some Hybrids that verifys my thinking re the advantage of the Hybrids needs in today's driving.
No doubt needs will vary depending on a country's city or countryside.
Within a city slow stop n go traffic the the Electric portion of the Hybrid would be very cost efficient as I see it....just my opinion.
All one has to do is read up on those with past experiences ( makes) for a comparison with some good and bad points of view from owners.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Hybrid is passe and electric is the way it WILL be. Japan can make Mirai all it wants to - electric will be the rule soon.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've yet to own a Hybrid - not that I'm turned off by the idea, but just have never owned one. That being said, I cringe at the thought of a Hybrid Mustang.

I've had several 5.0 Mustangs. I cant imagine a Hybrid or an electric Mustang. Thats just wrong.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I’ve had a few hybrids. Never had any problems. Wonder if Lincoln is going to still sell cars if Ford gets out of the sedan business and focuses on SUV’s and Trucks? The Chevy Bolt is supposed to be a great electric car. I don’t buy anything out for less than 3 years. I like to see the reliability record.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:35 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I'm waiting for an electric I can take camping in the deep boonies of Maine for a weekend. Need something that can take all my gear, tow a boat, and be able to make it hundreds of miles away from a charging station.

Until someone makes an EV that can do that, I think EV's will be more prominent in cities and suburbs, but there will still be a need for gas vehicles.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:09 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I bet you could do that with a hybrid escape. If you want plug in, look at the new Pacifica. I know, not ford.

I think ford is coming out with an electric Transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln