Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Close:

Why are suicide doors on old cars called suicide doors? They were hinged at the rear edge, so if the vehicle was moving and they sprang open, anyone who grabbed to stop that happening was whisked out of their seat into the roadway.Seat belts were not in use at that time. Not a very clean form of suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I vaguely remember the answer to this, Something to do with opening the doors while moving. If you open them while moving the wind catches them and tears them off taking you with the door?
Why would somebody open a door while moving?

Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
A whole bunch of cars had suicide doors:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...d_door_designs

At that time they were by design unsafe. Not sure why they called them suicide, though.
Such reverse-hinged door, if accidentally opened in a moving car, would be flung wide by the road wind, making it easier for a passenger to fall out or seriously injure anyone exiting or entering the offside of the car if the door is hit by a passing vehicle.

Perhaps more like a "murder weapon" popular by mobster, supposedly owing to the ease of pushing passengers out of moving vehicles.

The most recent mass-produced model with such doors has been the Rolls-Royce Phantom Series II introduced in 2012.
Some Honda, Toyota, BMW, Saturn, Mazda and several European models have them too.

This door design is quite useful and makes entering and exiting a car very comfortable. In recent years a modification was done, so they cannot be opened until the front doors are opened.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
We had one waaay back when in the mid 60's, a black one. I remember going to the local swimming hole. You could open both side doors and drape a large towel or blanket across to change cloths.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A whole bunch of cars had suicide doors:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...d_door_designs

At that time they were by design unsafe. Not sure why they called them suicide, though.
Such reverse-hinged door, if accidentally opened in a moving car, would be flung wide by the road wind, making it easier for a passenger to fall out or seriously injure anyone exiting or entering the offside of the car if the door is hit by a passing vehicle.

Perhaps more like a "murder weapon" popular by mobster, supposedly owing to the ease of pushing passengers out of moving vehicles.

The most recent mass-produced model with such doors has been the Rolls-Royce Phantom Series II introduced in 2012.
Some Honda, Toyota, BMW, Saturn, Mazda and several European models have them too.

This door design is quite useful and makes entering and exiting a car very comfortable. In recent years a modification was done, so they cannot be opened until the front doors are opened.
Again, who opens a door in a moving car?
Did this door seriously die out because some archaic and improbable urban legend?

Old 12-18-2018, 02:47 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Again, who opens a door in a moving car?
Did this door seriously die out because some archaic and improbable urban legend?
I am sure no one WANTED to open a door in a moving car. I suspect that the old design was somehow unsafe, and the door actually got open by accident. It is improved now.
The nickname is mainly due to the design's propensity to seriously injure anyone exiting or entering the offside of the car if the door is hit by a passing vehicle. No one really mentioned the dangers of opening the door while the vehicle was moving.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 PM

384 posts, read 272,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am sure no one WANTED to open a door in a moving car. I suspect that the old design was somehow unsafe, and the door actually got open by accident. It is improved now.
The nickname is mainly due to the design's propensity to seriously injure anyone exiting or entering the offside of the car if the door is hit by a passing vehicle. No one really mentioned the dangers of opening the door while the vehicle was moving.

Out of curiosity, I opened the doors twice on a moving car when I was 4 or 5. (This was before child seats were mandatory past the age of 2 or 3). Once on my grandfather's station wagon going 55mph down a country road, and once on my aunt's Buick because I wanted to show off to my cousin. Neither time was I sucked out of the car out into the road.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:10 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Close:

Why are suicide doors on old cars called suicide doors? They were hinged at the rear edge, so if the vehicle was moving and they sprang open, anyone who grabbed to stop that happening was whisked out of their seat into the roadway.Seat belts were not in use at that time. Not a very clean form of suicide.
As noted in linked OP article proper name is "carriage doors" if anything. That because like horse drawn carriages of old rear doors are hinged at rear to open backwards. This makes sense in that at least for royalty, nobility, wealthy and anyone else traveling in a grand or whatever carriage a type of servant opened the door to allow passengers to enter or exit.

As for the moniker "suicide doors" see:

"The nickname is mainly due to the design's propensity to seriously injure anyone exiting or entering the offside of the car if the door is hit by a passing vehicle. Also, in the era before seat belts, the accidental opening of such doors meant that there was a greater risk of falling out of the vehicle compared to front-hinged doors, where airflow pushed the doors closed rather than opening them further. Suicide doors were especially popular with mobsters in the gangster era of the 1930s, supposedly owing to the ease of pushing passengers out of moving vehicles, according to Dave Brownell, the former editor of Hemmings Motor News"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_door

Old 12-19-2018, 04:06 AM

Again what’s up with this getting hit by a passing car business?
First off who just exits the car in front of passing traffic without looking first?
Second, if the car hits you, it doesn’t matter if it hits you first before the door vs the other way around.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Why would somebody open a door while moving?
If you were kidnaped and had to escape, or a fire inside the vehicle while you were driving. There was a woman who jumped out a car because the man was trying to carjack her car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln