Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 11:59 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
New ICE vehicles are computers as well.
Have people already forgotten about OnStar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 12:01 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Have people already forgotten about OnStar?
You dont even need to mention OnStar. Just open the hood of newer cars.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:11 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I think such a technology would work just as well on a gas vehicle.
It’s not an EV v gas thing.
It is a good reason to avoid Ford, not that I was looking for more reasons.

I really didnt need to hear about this to avoid Ford. They seem to have lost that better idea theme.

Old 03-01-2023, 11:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
It might depend on the state. In some states (Illinois, eg.) a lender can report a car as "stolen" at 12:02 AM the day after a missed due date, and police can, and will, stop and impound the car and arrest and jail the driver and put any minor passengers in the protective custody of the state.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:27 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
It might depend on the state. In some states (Illinois, eg.) a lender can report a car as "stolen" at 12:02 AM the day after a missed due date, and police can, and will, stop and impound the car and arrest and jail the driver and put any minor passengers in the protective custody of the state.
Typically police are not on the lookout for a car reported stolen. Most often such arrest and impound happen as a result of a different reason for the stop. Such as run a red light and while checking the registration a hit comes up as stolen.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:49 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It is a good reason to avoid Ford, not that I was looking for more reasons.
You really think if this catches on it would stop at Ford?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:57 AM

616 posts, read 341,026 times
Democrat President Joe Biden’s recently passed “infrastructure” bill is a law that mandates the installation of remotely-accessed kill switches to all new vehicles. The move allows government authorities to shut down or remotely operate any car, truck, or SUV produced after August 2026.

With Democrats it is all about controlling everything. They have gotten their hooks deep into our health care, "freedom of movement" is next.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Democrat President Joe Biden’s recently passed “infrastructure” bill is a law that mandates the installation of remotely-accessed kill switches to all new vehicles. The move allows government authorities to shut down or remotely operate any car, truck, or SUV produced after August 2026.

With Democrats it is all about controlling everything. They have gotten their hooks deep into our health care, "freedom of movement" is next.
Section 24220 of the bill directs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to develop rules that would require new cars to be equipped with technology that "passively monitors the performance of a driver," identifies whether they may be impaired and prevents or limits motor vehicle operation "if an impairment is detected."

Musician Ted Nugent (among others) politicized that phrase by tweeting "Beginning 2026, a kill switch will be a mandatory feature on vehicles," reads the tweet. "The device allows the government, the police, and car makers to disable your car from the comfort of their offices. Reminder - 18 GOP voted for this bill."

Old 03-14-2023, 10:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I know that some buy here pay here places add a device that will prevent the car from being restarted if they send a signal to the device. It also sends a tracking signal like a lojack. They make buyers sign a waiver allowing this when they buy the car. Those places prey on the downtrodden people of the world. they are despicable IMO, but they will tell you that they offer an opportunity for broke people to get a car when they otherwise would not be able to do so. they leave out the fact that the interest rates are so high the broke people have no chance of paying off the car and it is sold to them for 30% mroe than it is worth to begin with.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:45 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I wouldn't read into this too much. It seems here Ford is just locking up IP where they can. Maybe it becomes a thing, or maybe they license it out. Either way, this doesn't necessarily mean this is a certainty.

A lot of major companies do the same thing. Mine does as well. Any new product development idea gets scrutinized for potential IP. If there is anything there, the lawyers file a patent or trade secret to lock it up. It keeps competitors from doing the same more importantly. Doesn't mean we will ever make a product using that technology. I think i have my name on a few dozen "fluff" patents now, but there's only 1 or 2 that ever became anything and i'm genuinely proud of. The others were a mix of pipe dream ideas and just preventing the other guy from doing it without paying us licensing.

DOn't get too bent out of shape over this yet. Still many years from driverless cars driving down the road before this tech can even be applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln