Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

As for the Ranger; simple and crude are virtues in trucks. The Ranger seems to sell well and no doubt some are attracted by the very things some think are faults.

I think the Ranger drives better than the new small Chevy, Colorado or whatever it's called. The Chevy is too smooth and loose. Ranger is rough and tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I heard the Ranger was doing very well for Ford and thus no plans to change. Not everyone wants or needs all the bells and whistles but needs a simple vehicle to do a job.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The Ranger seems to be a very popular car here in Southern California among 16-25 year old men who want a "truck," but don't want to pay a high sticker. The Ranger usually has big discounts because it is a pretty crude and outdated vehicle. I know my next door neighbor's son got one for $13,500 brand new.

The new Fusion looks really good though and C&D couldn't say enough good things about it.
All the current Ford's are popular here in Nashville except the Ranger and the Crown Victoria. Chevy's current gen Impala seems to be the vehicle of choice for our police officers and no one buys them. I have not seen a Ranger in about a year. I haven't seen one a Ford dealership in ages. They must be so ashamed as to how outdated this truck is that they hide them in the back of the lot and don't bring them out until the customer specifically asks for one......

Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Chevy's current gen Impala seems to be the vehicle of choice for our police officers and no one buys them.
Our company uses these as company cars.... well, only the supervisors and "big wheels" have company cars. I was at one of the new store locations this morning and it looked like a Chevrolet dealership with nothing but new Impalas. They are different colors, but it seems like 90% of them are that dark gold color. The bakery supervisor for districts 2 and 3 has a red one. WOW. Also, they are ALL "LS" models. They dare not spend more for an "LT" model.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
From what I have heard the oil additive package will stop cleaning;the oil will have particles that increase wear and eventually the oil passages will start to clog-up.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From what I have heard the oil additive package will stop cleaning;the oil will have particles that increase wear and eventually the oil passages will start to clog-up.
On what kind of car are you talking about?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Honestly, I have never seen or heard of anyone wanting to buy a new Ranger, not even a used one. I didn't even realize Ford still sold this truck. When I think of Ford Trucks, I always think of the F-150, F-250, F-350 ect. The Ranger never comes to mind. I don't see how it could be a big time money maker, seeing that I NEVER see any on the road. If you want to think about the Big Time money maker for Ford, let's talk about the F-150. Imagine if they screwed up on the 2009 redesign. Then, they would be screwed.
I find it hard to believe that noone in TN wants a Ford Ranger.

And I have 3 coworkers who own Rangers. 2 of them have 07's, the other just bought an 08. Oh, and one lady just moved up from Mississippi who also drives a Ranger. Make that 4 at my place of employment alone.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I find it hard to believe that noone in TN wants a Ford Ranger.

And I have 3 coworkers who own Rangers. 2 of them have 07's, the other just bought an 08. Oh, and one lady just moved up from Mississippi who also drives a Ranger. Make that 4 at my place of employment alone.
Maybe it's a just a Nashville thing....... I just don't see any, so it's still hard for me to believe......Next time I travel to another city, I'm looking for some.....I'm tempted to run down to my local Ford dealer right now and ask them how many Ranger's they sell a month and if these people that buy them actually live here in Nashville. I'm sure they are much more popular in the more country sides of the state....

Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Interesting - I just went to the Mercury website and the Grand Marquis (which is just a fancier Crown Victoria) is still available for public sale, so a Crown Vic loyal customer can always go that route, but they are pricey...

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis: Get Details on Pricing, Features & Options

This style is little old too (dates back to 1992), but its a good one and one of the very few RWD V8 cars still out there that you can buy new.

I also noticed that since the Ford Five-Hundred is now called the Taurus, Mercury changed the name of their version.... from Mondeo to Sable- what better match for the Taurus name, since this was the original name of these cars when Ford introduced them in 1985 as 1986 models.

Side note, we no longer have a Lincoln-Mercury dealer. As far back as I can remember (I am 32) we always had one on the west side of town. They also sold Chryslers, Dodge and Jeep. They still sell those however, but the lot is not as full as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
It looks like a nicely styled car from what I can tell. I think a V8 should be an option in the Taurus since its now the "big" Ford, now that Crown Victoria is gone. The Chevrolet Impala has a V8 option.

Since the Crown Vic is gone (is it?) does anyone think that police departments will start going with the Taurus? Our local squad is now using the latest generation Impalas, Intrepids and a couple of Jeep Cherokees left. Some others are the last generation Impala and I have even seen a couple of mid 90s Caprices still on the squad, but these are detective cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yep the crown vic is still available for fleet sales and Ford has no plans to discontinue it. It's easy to fix, cheap and durable so it has it's use in certain applications.

Of course you can readily purchased used Crown vics disposed by government service.

I'm a big fan of the Australian Ford Falcon and I think Ford was stupid for not bringing the platform here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. The Taurus is a much bigger car than the Mondeo ever was. The current Taurus is based on the Volvo P2/S80 chassis.

Also the Fusion is on a stretched and widened version of the 6 platform; with the 6 gaining size now, I'd almost expect the Fusion to stay the same size next time around.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Rangers are far from popular here in Arizona.

Same CANNOT be said for the F-150 or the Chevy Silverado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln