U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 PM

10,149 posts, read 18,131,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You keep saying this, and I'll give you the same answer I gave you in this thread: Either that or people like me who have been burned by so many crappy domestics that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than being accused of making a "social statement" to get me back into a domestic.

Not much of a social statement involved in many of the foreign cars I've owned. Driving a Protege, 323, Jetta, or Maxima doesn't exactly shout "look at me, I'm making a statement!" More like "look at me, I'm trying to get back and forth to work just like everyone else." In the end I will drive what suits my needs and budget best at any given time without much regard for what kind of statement people think I'm making.

Just the reaction I'd expect from someone rationalizing a social statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
You keep saying this, and I'll give you the same answer I gave you in this thread: Either that or people like me who have been burned by so many crappy domestics that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than being accused of making a "social statement" to get me back into a domestic.

Not much of a social statement involved in many of the foreign cars I've owned. Driving a Protege, 323, Jetta, or Maxima doesn't exactly shout "look at me, I'm making a statement!" More like "look at me, I'm trying to get back and forth to work just like everyone else." In the end I will drive what suits my needs and budget best at any given time without much regard for what kind of statement people think I'm making.
Ok, so you were burned with some old domestics. Times change my friend. Ive been burned by a few of my Japanese cars, did it prevent me from buying them again? No. Quite the opposite in fact. I went on to own a few more. You have to pick and choose your models wisely. The Maxima you drive? They have many problems, Ive seen them and experienced them firsthand. Nothing like an injector taking a dump on you when youre outside Milwaukee at Midnight in a 5 speed SE. That was fun with the car sputtering all the way home. Or my Toyota truck's front axle that decided to break on me. Or the trans in my other Toyota that left my brother stranded in Sugar Grove. Crap happens. Ya fix it and move on. My American cars Ive owned (minus the Cavalier) have been far more forgiving to me than my Japanese cars, knock on wood.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Just the reaction I'd expect from someone rationalizing a social statement.
And just what kind of "social statement" do you reckon I'm making with a Volkswagen Jetta?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:32 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ok, so you were burned with some old domestics. Times change my friend. Ive been burned by a few of my Japanese cars, did it prevent me from buying them again? No. Quite the opposite in fact. I went on to own a few more. You have to pick and choose your models wisely. The Maxima you drive? They have many problems, Ive seen them and experienced them firsthand. Nothing like an injector taking a dump on you when youre outside Milwaukee at Midnight in a 5 speed SE. That was fun with the car sputtering all the way home. Or my Toyota truck's front axle that decided to break on me. Or the trans in my other Toyota that left my brother stranded in Sugar Grove. Crap happens. Ya fix it and move on. My American cars Ive owned (minus the Cavalier) have been far more forgiving to me than my Japanese cars, knock on wood.
Frankly none of my cars have been trouble-free. But the domestics on average gave me a hell of a lot more trouble than the Japs. Plus there's a lot more to it than just reliability -- there's also fit & finish and overall driving dynamics -- one of my biggest issue with the domestics I've owned is that, without fail, the brakes on all of them have SUCKED. On the SHO in particular, the mismatch between the motor's capabilities and the brake's capabilities was downright scary.

Times may have changed but they haven't changed enough for me yet. None of the domestics are making cars that appeal to me enough for me to go buy one. Maybe in a few years, but not yet.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,522,582 times
Hey, I have an honest question for you guys who are, or know UAW members...or any union members, for that matter.

Do UAW members shop at WalMart? As we all know, most of the merchandise sold there is made by slave labor in the Third World. WalMart, arguably has destroyed more American jobs than any single company ever.

So do union members generally avoid WalMart....or are they like most people....looking for the most bang for their buck?

IF union members do indeed shop at WalMart, why am I "unpatriotic" for seeking the most value (as I perceive it) for my car buying dollar?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,983,019 times
Quote:
And just what kind of "social statement" do you reckon I'm making with a Volkswagen Jetta?
‘Vanity Fair’ Launches Homosexual Automobile Blog -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

Click and Clack said the Jetta is the #1 gay car.. LOL...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,029,987 times
Quote:
I think many people buy foreign cars as a social statement then rationalize it as an economic one.

I agree. But they also know that to admit it would get them looked down on as they should be looked down on anyway

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey, I have an honest question for you guys who are, or know UAW members...or any union members, for that matter.

Do UAW members shop at WalMart?

I'm a retired union man and I never shop at Walmart. More as a social and political statement than anything else since many stores are just as ratty. And I can afford better; I can buy my socks at Macys rather than getting that 3-dozen bag-0-socks at Walmart. Steinmart had good prices on nice socks by the way.

I buy American made or high wage country made whenever possible (and sometimes it isn't). I'm willing to spend a few more bucks so that my fellow countrymen and fellow workers can live well. My wife and I recently totally refurnished our 2 bedroom apartment and ALL the furniture--chairs, couch, lamps, bookcases, bed, rugs, cabinets---came from The United States, Canada or Denmark. By the way, Room and Board carries a large selection of high quality American made furniture. I put my money where my mouth is.

By having been a union man I can afford to spend a few extra bucks, when I get a taste for candy I can get some Frango mints or Godiva truffles rather than going to Walmart and getting that lousy half-gallon milk carton full of Whopper malted milk balls.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-08-2009 at 06:00 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Well for one thing I never claimed that you were making one, I believe I said that many, not all, foreign car makers were making a social statement.

The social statement being made by some is that they're are above the fray, cooler and more with it than American car owners. This nonsense started with the Baby Boomers many of whom developed the twisted notion that an accountant who drives an Audi is different in some fundamental and important way from an accountant who drives a Buick. The concept of the hip accountant, the whole Bobo thing. I see this in Chicago all the time.

I also think many foreign car owners are also hostile towards unions and a prosperous and independant American working class and are thus drawn towards foreign cars, especially Asian ones. I see that attitude expressed often.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,522,582 times
Quote:
I'm a retired union man and I never shop at Walmart. More as a social and political statement than anything else since many stores are just as ratty. And I can afford better; I can buy my socks at Macys rather than getting that 3-dozen bag-0-socks at Walmart. Steinmart had good prices on nice socks by the way.

I buy American made or high wage country made whenever possible (and sometimes it isn't). I'm willing to spend a few more bucks so that my fellow countrymen and fellow workers can live well. My wife and I recently totally refurnished our 2 bedroom apartment and ALL the furniture--chairs, couch, lamps, bookcases, bed, rugs, cabinets---came from The United States, Canada or Denmark. By the way, Room and Board carries a large selection of high quality American made furniture. I put my money where my mouth is.

By having been a union man I can afford to spend a few extra bucks, when I get a taste for candy I can get some Frango mints or Godiva truffles rather than going to Walmart and getting that lousy half-gallon milk carton full of Whopper malted milk balls.

Thank you, I would hope that you're not the exception to the rule, and that most union members eschew WalMart. I've never set foot in one and I've never belonged to a union. WalMart is the "evil empire" as far as I'm concerned...

As for furniture...a LOT of it is made in VA and NC, probably because they are right-to-work States, and the abundant nearby wood sources. Every year, for the past 30+ years, I've taken my banjo to Galax, Virginia to compete at a bluegrass festival. Galax does two things...furniture and Christmas trees. The last few years I've noticed that the furniture factories are quiet at night....you can see the smokestacks from the stage. I don't know if that is because of the recession or the junk coming in from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or