U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 66,661,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not gonna happen. GM can do the CTS-V because it's a super-niche version of a relatively niche car in the grand scheme of GM's lineup. The Taurus, on the other hand, is striving not to be a relatively niche car but a bread-and-butter car. Ford has stated flat-out that development of a new RWD platform is on indefinite haitus largely on account of tightening fuel economy standards. Ford can't afford to have a bread-and-butter car like the Taurus built on a RWD platform while trying to meet ever-tightening CAFE mandates, and they won't build a one-off RWD platform just for a specialty Taurus.

In the absence of a RWD SHO, I wish they'd re-orient the Haldex AWD system to deliver the primary torque to the rear wheels instead of the front. But again, fuel economy reasons dictate the torque be delivered to the front wheels.
Trust me, I know the probabilities of a CTS-V-like Taurus are next-to-none, but I can dream. Id like to see Ford bring over the Falcon or something similar, that would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,236,675 times
Uhhh, well it looks better than previous Taurus' anyway. It looks oddly similiar to a Camry.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,166,689 times
the biggest thing Ford does/will have going for it when the economy turns around is:

1) there will likely be a renewed sense to 'buy American'

2) out of the Big 3, Ford is the only one NOT currently walking around with the people's money in its pockets

good-looking car! i'm not a family sedan kind of guy, but i do like Fords. if i were in the market, it'd be on my list. i just wonder what this means for the Fusion (which is way overdue for a redesign)

Mike

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

7,297 posts, read 22,117,515 times
Toyotas are not as "grand" as they used to be. I am a Toyota fan of the 80s-mid 90s cars, but not the later ones. I have a couple of friends with newer Corollas that have given alot of problems. One had a timing belt tensioner go out at 26K miles.

I rented a 2009 Toyota Avalon XL last October... it was a nice new car, with 9K (which was a change from my 200K+ miles car), but it was not all that much nicer. I felt like when this car had 200K miles, it would not be much of a car. Just seemed cheap to me compared to 80s-mid 90s Toyotas.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 9,890,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ford is on a roll. Once the economy shapes up and people get their heads back in the game, Ford will dominate the American market and win back many buyers (myself included). Ford has shaped up big time. I find most of their new models to be superior to any Toyotas or Hondas Ive driven, no joke, dont laugh! They have actually tied Toyota and Honda in the latest reliability reports, and their designs are EONS BEYOND EONS better than the fugly crap that Toyota and Honda have been puking out of their butts lately. The new F-series trucks are incredible, the Focus remains strong and reliable, the Fusion Hybrid is the best in its class by a long shot, the new Flex is innovative and intriguing, the Edge is solid, etc, etc. And with the upcoming GT500 (540 hp I believe), Raptor, etc, Ford is just running away with the show.
Considering what Ford went from, I agree that Ford is really starting to make cars people will want to drive again. Plus, I respect that they didn't take tax payer money.

My husband is actually waiting for the Ford Fusion Hybrid to come out for his new car purchase. He is giving up his BMW to drive something more "green." It looks great (unlike the Prius), is spacious, has good fit and finish, and runs all on the electric battery if going under 47 mph! Speed limit is 40-50 mph on roads here and my husband is only on the freeway for two miles so I think he will be able to last a long time on the 700 miles the car gets out of one tank of gas.

Plus, the Taurus looks pretty good. A little boxy in the back, but better looking than anything else in its class and the interior is much better than the Chrysler 300.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,205,645 times
Man, I hope they pull it out....I inherited a large block of Ford stock that is near worthless now. No dividends, no nuthin...

I wish the heck I'd sold it when it was $8 a share!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM

20,005 posts, read 66,661,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Uhhh, well it looks better than previous Taurus' anyway. It looks oddly similiar to a Camry.
Uhhhh, it looks NOTHING like a Camry and I THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!

You see, Ford can still design a car that has more intrigue/soul than a slug, unlike Toyota. Im sorry, but Ive lost all respect for Toyota and Honda and will probably never go back unless they start catering to people who are under 95 years old.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM

3,054 posts, read 4,860,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Uhhhh, it looks NOTHING like a Camry and I THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!

You see, Ford can still design a car that has more intrigue/soul than a slug, unlike Toyota. Im sorry, but Ive lost all respect for Toyota and Honda and will probably never go back unless they start catering to people who are under 95 years old.

I think it looks TOO MUCH like the ugly camery !

Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM

2,577 posts, read 3,309,378 times
The SHO Taurus might be interesting, but ever since the Taurus was released, it just screamed BORING except for the SHO models.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM

806 posts, read 1,776,513 times
Had a 95 Mercury Sable (same car), HORRIBLE piece of TRASH!!!!

"IF" Ford can bring up its quality standards, maybe, perhaps, possibly, I might consider buying one..... In 10 or 20 years.....If they work out flawless.

So basically, NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

Soooo, I guess ford will have to be satisfied getting MY MONEY the old fashion way.....Government grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or