Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times

Advertisements

Car in another shop and different state and still can't figure out why won't start sometimes.

In kentucky garage just made things worse since he did not have a clue. Now we are in Nebraska an took to a Ford garage. They put a new oxygen senser in and rehooked a couple vacuum lines and said running strong. WE paid 117.00 and drove away. Two days later car would run real rough and took back to Ford.

They said plugs sitting in water and wires are brittle and need replaced. You would think they would have checked tht the first time. They want 400.00 to put new plugs and wires on. I ad hell no to that price and went to pick up and pay 34.00.

Car ran so bad it would not back away from curb. Managed to park at small garage across street till Friday and they will put plugs and wires on for 125.00. Seems more reasonable.

Hope this fixes it.

Once again I think it is smarter to make payments on a new car with warrenty than to buy used and make non stop unreliable repair payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Has anyone checked the fuel filter, pressure when cold to the injectors, or ohms into the computer?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Car in another shop and different state and still can't figure out why won't start sometimes.

In kentucky garage just made things worse since he did not have a clue. Now we are in Nebraska an took to a Ford garage. They put a new oxygen senser in and rehooked a couple vacuum lines and said running strong. WE paid 117.00 and drove away. Two days later car would run real rough and took back to Ford.

They said plugs sitting in water and wires are brittle and need replaced. You would think they would have checked tht the first time. They want 400.00 to put new plugs and wires on. I ad hell no to that price and went to pick up and pay 34.00.

Car ran so bad it would not back away from curb. Managed to park at small garage across street till Friday and they will put plugs and wires on for 125.00. Seems more reasonable.

Hope this fixes it.

Once again I think it is smarter to make payments on a new car with warrenty than to buy used and make non stop unreliable repair payments.
Not in my experience. I have always driven older cars, and I always picked out reliable models. The current car I have had for 2 and a half years, with no problems at all, and it is a daily driver. I only paid $600 cash for it. Try that with a new car. The Crown Vic is pretty much a solid car, so after you get it fixed, you should be ok. May I ask what year your car is?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Not if you know what you're doing and fix it yourself. If you don't then perhaps you are correct.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
You seem to have uncommonly bad luck with that car. We drive them into the several hundreds of thousands of miles range without a fraction of your issues! I would attempt the plugs and wires yourself... its an easy endeavor.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Not if you know what you're doing and fix it yourself. If you don't then perhaps you are correct.
I was going to say that but you beat me to it.

Vladimir Ilich Lenin got one thing right when he said : "Study, learn, then study some more!"

Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
You seem to have uncommonly bad luck with that car. We drive them into the several hundreds of thousands of miles range without a fraction of your issues! I would attempt the plugs and wires yourself... its an easy endeavor.
...assuming the plugs are easily accessable.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I thought crown vics were reliable as you could get. they are all RWD V-8 sedans ford has been building for years and they take the massive abuse police forces put them through and still keep going the only bad thing about the 4.6 is they liked to spit out plugs once and a while and in 03 ford used a plastic intake manifold that would warp but that's all I can think of being bad about them.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The crown vic is a great car. Plugs and wire wear out, not normally covered by warranty. Vacuum lines are a common issue and an easy fix, but sometimes hard to track down. New plugs and wire... Good for 50,000 miles and far cheaper than car payments. It would be a good idea to replace fuel filter anyway.

When I shell out some money for repairs on my paid off vehicles it is far cheaper than car payments.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Not in my experience. I have always driven older cars, and I always picked out reliable models. The current car I have had for 2 and a half years, with no problems at all, and it is a daily driver. I only paid $600 cash for it. Try that with a new car. The Crown Vic is pretty much a solid car, so after you get it fixed, you should be ok. May I ask what year your car is?
I agree. Some repair bills in the $100 dollar range doesn't justify getting a brand new car that you have to finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln