Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I like the digital dash on these... the 90-94 differs as you know from the 95-97 models. I dont know... I like them both the same, but I like the fact that the 95-97 adds the compass, but I like the fact that the 90-94 has the temperature (outside) on the driver cluster, whereas the 95-97 has it on the center part of the dash. The 90-94 also kinda seperates gauges in three different pods, but the 95-97 is all open, but the numbers seem a bit larger... they are also italic.

I would like to find a 1995... they seem to not have as many "oil burning" issues as the 1991-94s have (though the engines appear to be identical to me) and whats this I read about the troublesome plastic intake on the 96-97 models? I still would love to get that blue 1995 TC for $2000 from Florida... if I could just find reasonable transport... and someone reputable from the Tampa area that would check it out for me.
Among the things which made me decide on a '95...
- The '95 TC had a 2.84:1 first gear ratio. The '94 had 2.40:1. The '95 has better off-the-line acceleration due to the lower first gear ratio.

- The cruise, climate and radio control buttons on the steering wheel on Signature and Cartier series. Those are very handy and I use them every time I drive. It seems like a little thing, but not having to reach for the radio and climate controls really comes in handy. A great feature that Lincoln added.

The blue TC you mention would be a good choice assuming it's in good condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Oh, there was a lady respond to an ad I had... she has 1995 Town Car that was her mothers... she passed away. Her father gave it to her 16 year old son for when he starts driving next year, but he wants a sports car. She said the heat does not work (A/C does) and the front windows dont work. I have read about heater issues on some Town Cars of this era and not sure what the issue is... maybe someone here does.

She said its silver and they would take $2000 for it. Sounds like a deal, but if the heating is going to be $$$ to repair, I may steer clear.

Oh, here is the local 97 with 90K I can get for $3000....
That one looks pretty good.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That one looks pretty good.
Thanks. Well, I may end up going with the 1997 or the 1991 Caprice. The owner of the 93 Town Car emailed me tonight and said someone looked at it and wants it and will probably buy it this week before I can get down there. Oh well. Well, there are alot of these cars around, so I am sure another will turn up, even if I dont get the 97 or 91 Caprice.

I really like the white 97 Town Car, but really was not wanting to spend that much right now... really wanting something around $2K, because if I get a $3K car, figure around $3500 after taxes.

$2K car, looking around $2300 tops. We will see.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
Oh, there was a lady respond to an ad I had... she has 1995 Town Car that was her mothers... she passed away. Her father gave it to her 16 year old son for when he starts driving next year, but he wants a sports car. She said the heat does not work (A/C does) and the front windows dont work. I have read about heater issues on some Town Cars of this era and not sure what the issue is... maybe someone here does.
Heater is very expensive to fix. The whole dash assembly/inside has to come out. Very tedious work and expensive. When you're looking at these cars, always check on the passenger side for any signs of antifreeze in the rug/floor board. It's common. If you find it, pass it up unless the dash was taken off to repair it. Radiator additive will plug the leak for awhile. Check for it.
I was shopping for one of these some years ago and ended up with a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. Beautiful car but the heater did burst. One of the main reasons I had to get rid of it. Loved it, gorgeous piece of sheet metal and heaven to drive on the Interstate, especially with the twin exhaust in LSC model. Superb sound system.
I bought it used with 70,000 on it. Put another 130,000 on it in 3 years. Engine was still purring and not using any oil. Actually economical for highway driving, I got 25 mpg. Rear wheel drive, can be a handful in heavy rain without the right tires.
Transmission was gone, though. That's a well-documented weak spot on the Mark VIII. Not sure if it applies to the TC.
If I could find a Mark VIII in good shape and needed to do a lot of distance driving again, I'd grab it. Never gotten so many compliments on a car. Or so many tickets.
There's a good website for collectors.
http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/1998ce_white.htm

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-28-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Well, I may end up going with the 1997 or the 1991 Caprice. The owner of the 93 Town Car emailed me tonight and said someone looked at it and wants it and will probably buy it this week before I can get down there. Oh well. Well, there are alot of these cars around, so I am sure another will turn up, even if I dont get the 97 or 91 Caprice.

I really like the white 97 Town Car, but really was not wanting to spend that much right now... really wanting something around $2K, because if I get a $3K car, figure around $3500 after taxes.

$2K car, looking around $2300 tops. We will see.
It is usually worth it to pay a little more for a car in better condition. Worth it in the long run.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks knoxgarden for that information. Ugh, that dont sound none too good about the heater issues on these. Almost makes me gun shy of one now, but I dont need any costly repairs. That was one reason I sold my old Lexus. The car that needs the heater work is a 1995. I know the dash is a little different than the 1990-94 model... do you know if the 1990-94 models had the same potential issue? Entire removal of the dash panels on these sounds like a terrible job to have to face.

I may just check out the 91 Caprice, which ironically is in your neck of the woods.... I have to come to Knoxville on Tuesday anyway, so I may try to check it out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Heater is very expensive to fix. The whole dash assembly/inside has to come out. Very tedious work and expensive. When you're looking at these cars, always check on the passenger side for any signs of antifreeze in the rug/floor board. It's common. If you find it, pass it up unless the dash was taken off to repair it. Radiator additive will plug the leak for awhile. Check for it.
I was shopping for one of these some years ago and ended up with a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. Beautiful car but the heater did burst. One of the main reasons I had to get rid of it. Loved it, gorgeous piece of sheet metal and heaven to drive on the Interstate, especially with the twin exhaust in LSC model. Superb sound system.
I bought it used with 70,000 on it. Put another 130,000 on it in 3 years. Engine was still purring and not using any oil. Actually economical for highway driving, I got 25 mpg. Rear wheel drive, can be a handful in heavy rain without the right tires.
Transmission was gone, though. That's a well-documented weak spot on the Mark VIII. Not sure if it applies to the TC.
If I could find a Mark VIII in good shape and needed to do a lot of distance driving again, I'd grab it. Never gotten so many compliments on a car. Or so many tickets.
There's a good website for collectors.
1998 Collector's Edition in Pearlescent White
Thanks Fleet. Yeah, that 95 for $2K is starting to possibly sound like a money pit. I feel the 97 (with 90K)for $3K would be the better buy even if its more money.

Oh, I found out that the 1993 Camry has not been sold like I thought. She deleted the ad because she said she had decided to keep it as it was a good car, but said if I still wanted it, she would let it go for $1200. Aside from the dented fender its in superb condition. I may still look at it afterall... I remember my 93 Camry had a really soft ride, but surely not as cushy as a Town Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It is usually worth it to pay a little more for a car in better condition. Worth it in the long run.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
Thanks knoxgarden for that information. Ugh, that dont sound none too good about the heater issues on these. Almost makes me gun shy of one now, but I dont need any costly repairs. That was one reason I sold my old Lexus. The car that needs the heater work is a 1995. I know the dash is a little different than the 1990-94 model... do you know if the 1990-94 models had the same potential issue? Entire removal of the dash panels on these sounds like a terrible job to have to face.
Yes, they managed to preserve that "feature" for that period of Lincolns.
Book rate for the job is 16 hours minimum.
On the good side, though, it is possible to get rebuilt air ride shocks for the Lincolns now, which can save a lot on those.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Ugh... hoping that the 1990-94s didnt have that problem. I know that the 1992-95 Mercedes S-Class models had evaporator core problems and on those the entire dash had to come out as well, but it only effected A/C and not the heat.

Yes, one good thing about the 93 Lincoln I was interested in is that the owner had new rear air springs AND a new compressor installed at a local Lincoln dealer a couple of years ago, so that was a big plus on that one.

The 91 Caprice I am interested in is actually in Pigeon Forge. I am a little leary now, because I have emailed twice asking if the car was "ready" and would make a safe trip back up here (about 100 miles) and no reply. Hmmm. The ad did say it was fully serviced, new tires, etc, so maybe he is away from the system or something. I will just need to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Yes, they managed to preserve that "feature" for that period of Lincolns.
Book rate for the job is 16 hours minimum.
On the good side, though, it is possible to get rebuilt air ride shocks for the Lincolns now, which can save a lot on those.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I was looking for a car for me on Craigslist, and this one made me think of you. It looks like exactly what you want for a great price. Too bad you do not live in Vegas.

````` 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Sires````` (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1575710384.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was looking for a car for me on Craigslist, and this one made me think of you. It looks like exactly what you want for a great price. Too bad you do not live in Vegas.

````` 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Sires````` (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1575710384.html - broken link)
That one looks like a good buy if it runs well which it probably does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln