Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times

Advertisements

I would take an 83 Lebaron Town and Country over a Versailles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Absolute horrible piece of garbage car. I remember "car-guys" back then laughing at the "cheaper Mercedes" marketing as well.

When I think of American car makers being at their depths, this is one of the cars that comes to mind.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default hey deez nutz!!

Car Lust: Great Car Commercials--1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham

you say Ford believed the Granada was the equivalent of a Mercedes, about 38 years ago Chrysler believed the New Yorker was the equivalent of a NASA Apollo Command Module!!

click on the link above

Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Car Lust: Great Car Commercials--1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham

you say Ford believed the Granada was the equivalent of a Mercedes, about 38 years ago Chrysler believed the New Yorker was the equivalent of a NASA Apollo Command Module!!

click on the link above
Wow...now that's quite a comparison. Thanks for sharing the link!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Yes, cool commericals! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Here is another one of those commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPatu...eature=related

Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM

74 posts, read 614,847 times
Default Ford Granada/Mercury Monarch

My godmother purchased a slightly used '78 Granada Ghia in '79. It was a nice car, fully loaded with all options except for a sunroof. I remember it had these fancy seats with corduroy type inserts. Strangely, it was a 6 cylinder and not all that great on gas. It also gave a lot of trouble

My first car purchase was a '79 Mercury Monarch. This was in 1981. It was optioned about average with a/c and am/fm. It gave a lot of trouble as well, later we found evidence that it was probably a flood car.

Sometime around 1982, I found a '80 Mercury Monarch two door with very low (8,000) mileage. This car must have been a special order. It was lipstick red with a white half vinyl top, aluminum road wheels, cornering lights, luggage rack. Inside it had the plusher deluxe vinyl bench seats, courtesy lights, a/c, tilt wheel, cruise control, and an am/fm quadrasonic 8 track stereo radio. It was the first all digital display radio I recall seeing and it had all these little pushbuttons to control each feature. It was a 6 cylinder car too. I drove that car for about 2 years and traded it on a new 84 Dodge Daytona because the Monarch leaked water badly into the rear floorboards and the Ford dealer could not stop it. The Daytona was another story, it was a terrible car.

I always wondered what happened to my old Lipstick Red Monarch. It was traded in Lumberton, NC and I lost track of it.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,576,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantiguy View Post
My godmother purchased a slightly used '78 Granada Ghia in '79. It was a nice car, fully loaded with all options except for a sunroof. I remember it had these fancy seats with corduroy type inserts. Strangely, it was a 6 cylinder and not all that great on gas. It also gave a lot of trouble

My first car purchase was a '79 Mercury Monarch. This was in 1981. It was optioned about average with a/c and am/fm. It gave a lot of trouble as well, later we found evidence that it was probably a flood car.

Sometime around 1982, I found a '80 Mercury Monarch two door with very low (8,000) mileage. This car must have been a special order. It was lipstick red with a white half vinyl top, aluminum road wheels, cornering lights, luggage rack. Inside it had the plusher deluxe vinyl bench seats, courtesy lights, a/c, tilt wheel, cruise control, and an am/fm quadrasonic 8 track stereo radio. It was the first all digital display radio I recall seeing and it had all these little pushbuttons to control each feature. It was a 6 cylinder car too. I drove that car for about 2 years and traded it on a new 84 Dodge Daytona because the Monarch leaked water badly into the rear floorboards and the Ford dealer could not stop it. The Daytona was another story, it was a terrible car.

I always wondered what happened to my old Lipstick Red Monarch. It was traded in Lumberton, NC and I lost track of it.

They weren't reliable they just looked nice lol! My Godmother had one for the first 9 years of my life. Wonderful when new but terrible after a short period. A bad era in Ford I should say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln