Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

I would look for one with a blown motor and swap in a rebuilt 351 windsor they bolt right in place of the 302 and beef up the T-5 a bit and you got a serious little muscle car that can make 400HP-450HP and be reliable and streetable even a daily driver if you wanted and with somewhat conservative gearing like a 3.73 get decent fuel mileage. also make sure you get some full length subframe connectors welded in ASAP

Cubic inches are like money. Having enough to be comfortable is nice, but having a lot is better, and having more than you know what to do with is just right. The 5.0 is a potent engine (just ask any 5.7 Camaro owner), but when it's time to rebuild or you just want that competitive edge, some extra cubes are in order. Yes, there are numerous stroker 302 kits on the market, and they have their advantages (which we'll talk about later). But if you really want to go for the gusto, then you should consider moving to a 351W. It's got more cubes in its stock form than you can comfortably (or affordably) extract from a 302-based engine, and you can stroke it well beyond 400 cubes should the need arise.
If you've been thinking about a 351W swap but didn't know where to start, you're in luck. We talked to some of the leading swap experts in the industry. In the following pages, we'll discusss 351W/Fox chassis swaps and their advantages/disadvantages versus a 302-based build. We'll also clue you in to all the parts necessary to get the job done right--from the oil pan to the top of the intake manifold. Now let's get rich!
thanks to http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...wap/index.html for the info and review

351 Engine Swap

If you don’t want to build the engine yourself, and you want a quick and easy solution to your cubic-inch deficit, then FRPP still has the answer for you. The M-6007-C351 is a complete engine assembly from the pan to the intake manifold, and it includes such niceties as aluminum GT-40 cylinder heads, a hydraulic-roller cam, roller rockers, and a distributor. It already fits Mustangs, and it produces 362 hp (with a 780-cfm intake). Get an EFI intake system and you’re good to go

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-06-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,189 times
I have a beautiful 1984 Mustang Gt with t tops. I bought it in 1990 (my first car). Does anyone know what it is worth? I would like to sell it. any info would be great thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandig29 View Post
I have a beautiful 1984 Mustang Gt with t tops. I bought it in 1990 (my first car). Does anyone know what it is worth? I would like to sell it. any info would be great thanks.
Depends on a lot of factors; mileage, body condition, upgrades, major items replaced, accident history, etc. For a totally original car with "average" mileage it's probably worth around $2,500 - $3,000. If it needs a little TLC it's probably closer to $2,000 - $2,500. Excellent and I mean mint examples with new/newer engines, transmissions, etc. generally sell for around $4,000.

For most people this is going to be the basis for a project. So, the value is really tied to how clean the body and interior are. Most could care less about the engine and trans, because those are going to be replaced anyway. So, the better the overall car, the more you could ask. If it's real cherry, I would start at $3,500 and work down from there.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Guys I need some help. I recently inherited my grandfathers 1991 mustang lx 5.0 convertible. It has 97,000 original miles on it all original runs great with very little rust. I need to know what its worth. Any suggestions?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcochran View Post
Guys I need some help. I recently inherited my grandfathers 1991 mustang lx 5.0 convertible. It has 97,000 original miles on it all original runs great with very little rust. I need to know what its worth. Any suggestions?
Probably several thousand dollars. It all depends on the condition. I've seen them with similar mileage in the $5K-$9K price range asking price. Completely restored or mint condition ones can be even more. Look on the online used car websites, ebay for closed auctions, and the various Mustang forum's for sale areas.

You need to have it looked at by a professional and appraised to find a true value. Are you wanting to sell it, or know the value for insurance? Does it need paint, new top, new seats?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
Dude wants to trade me 2000 mustang convertible for my 1994 mustang Gt his is in nicer shape but not v8 an i own a 1997mustang convvertible i was looking to sell and have a 1985 Ford Mustang Gt built but needs some attention dorsnt want to rev over 2500 rpm.got it like that idles good ...built ...

Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
First thing I would look at when checking a Fox body is get under the rear axle and look at the trailing arms mounting points at the unibody side. If you see any welds,cracks or like somebody tried dime repair walk away because it's been dragged and launched hard a lot. Look for buckled floorboards too. F it has the chassi reinforcing brackets expect it was raced autocrats or dragged.
I had a 89 GT. Fun car but people beat the heck out if them.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
First thing I would look at when checking a Fox body is get under the rear axle and look at the trailing arms mounting points at the unibody side. If you see any welds,cracks or like somebody tried dime repair walk away because it's been dragged and launched hard a lot. Look for buckled floorboards too. F it has the chassi reinforcing brackets expect it was raced autocrats or dragged.
I had a 89 GT. Fun car but people beat the heck out if them.
Yeah I agree also check the door and make sure the align up since a Fox-body where the doors do not close right tend to show they have a bent frame.

I always suggest the first mod a Fox-body owner should do is get a set of full length Sub-Frame connectors welded in it not only helps stiffen and help the car brake, corner and accelerate but also prevents the body getting twisted esp if someone goes for bolt-ons to mare more power or puts some sticky street/strip drag tires on them.

I believe Maximum Motorsports is one of the best places to find chassis stiffing kits/pats for Fox body and SN-95/New Edge Style and S197 Mustangs
Maximum Motorsports

Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I love Fox Mustangs, and I own one, but my true feelings is that given the price of a clean, not rusted out Fox body these days, i'd rather spend that money on a 99-04GT. More modern car, better brakes suspension, wheelbase, etc, with a engine that can make up to 300HP with basic bolt ons (plenum, TB, exhaust) and more than likely be in much better condition.

Lets face facts here, the newest 3rd gen Mustang is 23 years old. No ABS, rear drum brakes and front rotor sizes more suited for a Prius, plus parts are starting to be replaced by inferior Chinese replicas that I really don't want to put on the car.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I love Fox Mustangs, and I own one, but my true feelings is that given the price of a clean, not rusted out Fox body these days, i'd rather spend that money on a 99-04GT. More modern car, better brakes suspension, wheelbase, etc, with a engine that can make up to 300HP with basic bolt ons (plenum, TB, exhaust) and more than likely be in much better condition.

Lets face facts here, the newest 3rd gen Mustang is 23 years old. No ABS, rear drum brakes and front rotor sizes more suited for a Prius, plus parts are starting to be replaced by inferior Chinese replicas that I really don't want to put on the car.
I totally Agree with the 99-04 New Edge Mustang GT being the best bang for the Mustang out there right now

You can pretty much turn them into any type of car you want from a dedicated SCCA Road Race track car a NHRA 1/8th or 1/4 Mile dragster or just a Fun Reliable Daily Driver or 2nd/3rd vehicle to have fun in on those nice days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln