Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM

228 posts, read 815,097 times

Advertisements

I'm not finding much success with offers on foreclosed properties. The present approach involves a good amount of due diligence; obtaining comps, thorough home inspections, etc. Deficiencies usually surface in the process and this is reflected in the offer. However, I don't think the seller is aware or cares to know about the condition of the property and is turned off with offers less than the asking price. So, I was thinking of changing tactics. Are there any pitfalls in offering an artificially higher price to get their attention and use the formal inspection process to negotiate a lower price, the one I really think the property is worth? I prefer to be more upfront but the approach I've been taking is clearly not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,605,221 times
Nope. They typically sell foreclosure properties "as is" and don't care about inspections. Foreclosures are hard to buy. I buy REO's and go thru a very long process to finally obtain one. At any given time I am monitoring about 8 properties with specific strategies for each property. I never bid on HUD, Fannie Mae, VA properties because the bidding process is geared to owner/occupants....and actually I support that concept even tho there's corruption and deceit in that whole thing. If you go to Bidselect.com you can check bidding results and see that for any desirable properties the winning bid is most often over the asking price. You need a realtor who is experienced in selling foreclosure properties. Often you will do better buying a conventional home in the same neighborhood as foreclosures.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,810,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
I'm not finding much success with offers on foreclosed properties. The present approach involves a good amount of due diligence; obtaining comps, thorough home inspections, etc. Deficiencies usually surface in the process and this is reflected in the offer. However, I don't think the seller is aware or cares to know about the condition of the property and is turned off with offers less than the asking price. So, I was thinking of changing tactics. Are there any pitfalls in offering an artificially higher price to get their attention and use the formal inspection process to negotiate a lower price, the one I really think the property is worth? I prefer to be more upfront but the approach I've been taking is clearly not working.
Maybe your approach is not working because you are trying to depend on unreliable methods to determine market value. Don't use Zillow.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 AM

167 posts, read 494,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Is the asking price already below the comps? If it's already below the comps, I can see why they're turned off with offer less than the asking price.

I looked at 2 foreclosures in the past month and both of the asking prices are at least 10% below comps. I made an offer on one of them at full asking price and they are supposedly accepting my offer, all I have to do now is sign the bank addendum to make it official. From what I could see, the house is missing washer and dryer, needs new windows, update bathrooms, other small things. Hopefully I'll be having inspection some time this week. If inspection comes back with some major defects with the house that I didn't catch during the tour of the house, then I'll ask the bank to either fix it or lower the price, if they refuse to do either, then I may walk away as it may not be a fair deal anymore.

Last edited by need_more_light; 06-20-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Nope. They typically sell foreclosure properties "as is" and don't care about inspections. Foreclosures are hard to buy. I buy REO's and go thru a very long process to finally obtain one. At any given time I am monitoring about 8 properties with specific strategies for each property. I never bid on HUD, Fannie Mae, VA properties because the bidding process is geared to owner/occupants....and actually I support that concept even tho there's corruption and deceit in that whole thing. If you go to Bidselect.com you can check bidding results and see that for any desirable properties the winning bid is most often over the asking price. You need a realtor who is experienced in selling foreclosure properties. Often you will do better buying a conventional home in the same neighborhood as foreclosures.
I realize foreclosure properties are sold "as is" but can it be an effective strategy to offer a near asking price and after it's accepted begin to negotiate a lower price by pointing out the deficiencies during the inspection process?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 AM

8,643 posts, read 22,796,116 times
Don't play games. Offer what you are willing to pay for the home, in it's current condition. Using inspections or offering more than you are willing to pay, hoping the price will come down with a home inspection or low appraisal is gambling.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Maybe your approach is not working because you are trying to depend on unreliable methods to determine market value. Don't use Zillow.
LOL, off the Zillow Momma-bear already. As I said before, Zillow is only one of many things used to evaluate a property and it's certainly not something that I rely upon. But this thread isn't about Zillow

Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_more_light View Post
Is the asking price already below the comps? If it's already below the asking price, I can see why they're turned off wither offer less than the asking price.

I looked at 2 foreclosures in the past month and both of the asking prices are at least 10% below comps. I made an offer on one of them at full asking price and they are supposedly accepting my offer, all I have to do now is sign the bank addendum to make it official. From what I could see, the house is missing washer and dryer, needs new windows, update bathrooms, other small things. Hopefully I'll be having inspection some time this week. If inspection comes back with some major defects with the house that I didn't catch during the tour of the house, then I'll ask the bank to either fix it or lower the price, if they refuse to do either, then I may walk away as it may not be a fair deal anymore.
Of the last two offers made, one was slightly (3%) less than the comps and the latest was dead on. Unfortunately, the asking prices in both cases were considerably higher - 10% higher on the first one and 30% higher on the second.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Don't play games. Offer what you are willing to pay for the home, in it's current condition. Using inspections or offering more than you are willing to pay, hoping the price will come down with a home inspection or low appraisal is gambling.
That would be my preference. But how can the bank be made aware of the deficiencies? There are so many players involved that any offer outside of the seller's guidelines is rejected without much scrutiny in the beginning of the process. The only offers the bank reviews as I understand it are those that meet a threshold price.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,983,675 times
Don't depend on the appraisal to lower your offer.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...oled-high.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs