U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 PM

721 posts, read 2,658,296 times

Advertisements

Low class low life thing to do. Don't get mad at the bank because you can't afford to pay for your house.

A guy in Chicago recently got charged with several felonies for doing this very thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 PM

31,838 posts, read 36,505,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I look at REO's regularly. I don't see much intentional "spite" damage but I see many homes stripped of built in appliances & fixtures. Even more sad, however, are signs of how poorly the owners lived the final months residing in their homes......climate systems inoperable, leaking roofs, broken windows, termites, insect invasions, toilets and faucets broken, bathroom tiling missing from tub and shower surrounds..and serious mildew, broken doors. I sometimes say a silent prayer that the former residents are in a healthier environment even tho they lost their homes.
I saw this thread this morning and thought luckily we don't see this much in our area. Then I was showing in La Villita and on a $400k home looked about like the pic.

No money down + no closing costs +U owe me a home I can't afford = nothing to lose and it's everybody's fault but mine.

Sounds like a government bailout mentality.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM

9,069 posts, read 18,045,168 times
OP, I think percentage wise it's probably happening less. More and more of the foreclosures I see are in pretty good condition.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 PM

30,561 posts, read 33,381,041 times
I've heard of a few and it really angers me. I hate seeing a perfectly nice house wrecked like that and sure as hell wouldn't want to have people who could do that living in my neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM

721 posts, read 2,658,296 times
Alot of other people have mentioned many foreclosures are in terrible shape but weren't really intentionally trashed people just live like slobs, don't take care of their stuff, etc.

I think the way these people live has a lot to do with the reason they lost their house. If you live like a slob, don't take care of your property, etc it probably says something about how you do your job, how responsible you are when it comes to paying your bills, etc.

Sure there are many good people who because of job loss, heatlh issues, etc lose their homes but a lot of people are just irresponsible slobs.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,150,899 times
I looked at repos at the beginning of the real estate decline in the early 2000's in the Detroit area. Most looked like the OP pic. I went in one house where the previous owner stuffed a rag in the sink and turned on the water. All the hardwood floors were buckled. Then I have seen homes where people took the fixtures, cabinets and so forth because they either sell them or give them away. By the mid 2000's people started to get savvy and would purchase a second home, then dump the first. If they had put nice things into the first house, they would remove them and use the items in the second. Now I am seeing homes that just were not been kept up or repaired. It doesn't take long for a house to rot.

Actually I am watching the decline of the house across the street from me. I no longer live in Detroit but having seen it so much back home, I see the signs right away. I noticed my neighbor was letting his yard get a little rough. He stopped trimming the hedges and would only cut the grass every other week. I havent seen him weed whip all summer. Weeds are now growing up in the sidewalk and so forth. Then I saw someone I have never seen before drive by the house real slow and snap a picture. The neighbor finally told someone else that he was indeed losing the house. Its a stunning home and it will probably be a mess by the time he leaves. One thing that drives me nuts though is when neighbors do not step up and cut the grass of a repo. I know its a pain and it should be the bank responsibility but repos sell faster when they have some sort of curb appeal. My husband and I already discussed that if the neighbor moves out before winter, we will cut the grass. I don't want my view to be an unkept house and I want the house to sell asap.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,625,797 times
A friend of mine who doesn't have much money for a down payment was looking at foreclosed homes about 6 months ago. Almost everyone that the agents showed him were trashed to some degree or another. He's handy around construction, but most were too much for him.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:29 AM

35 posts, read 39,299 times
People that totally trash their home's because they are losing them are just morons. Sure it makes ya feel better at the time...but I just cannot imagine trashing a home i loved and lived in for so long. It's almost like beating up your best friend. I couldn't do it.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,544,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I would love to see someone like this sentanced to 15 years of community service cleaning public toilets, by hand.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

That was hilarious.

To answer the OP's question, I've heard some horrible things from a realtor friend in South Florida.

1. People dumping cement down their plumbing, toilets. (Nothing Drayno can do about that one.
2. People putting raw fish down the toilet, letting things rot
3. Feces left all over the house, yes human feces. (downright disgusting )
4. Spray painted interior, ripped drywall as seen in pics.
5. Appliances, even A/C units removed.
6. People tampering with electrical systems (some should have been zapped)
7. And the worse, he told me. A family left their pet snakes on purpose (I think Boas or Pythons) in the house.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 AM

5,392 posts, read 8,356,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
One thing that drives me nuts though is when neighbors do not step up and cut the grass of a repo. I know its a pain and it should be the bank responsibility but repos sell faster when they have some sort of curb appeal. My husband and I already discussed that if the neighbor moves out before winter, we will cut the grass. I don't want my view to be an unkept house and I want the house to sell asap.
I have a short sale listing - the owner has since moved out.

For a period in the summer, I had every neighbor probably within a 2 block radius call me and chew me out about the long grass. Daily. And with vigor.

I now understand completely why big REO agents don't put their signs on their listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs