U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,597,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Just wait until the bank forecloses on the homes, and buy the house afterwards at a big discount below the SS price.
MAYBE! But there is no guarantee of this.

In my area, the banks are listing many houses at ABOVE the SS price.

What you will get by waiting for the bank to own it, is a transaction that can be completed in 30 days, instead of waiting months. But you have to wait for months for the foreclosure to happen in the first place, and hope no one else buys it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,451 times
Well if it helps I'm located in Oakland county Waterford area... I was hoping to hear something by now the listing agent keeps telling me she will let us know soon. The house is up for sheriffs sale on this Thursday. Help me someone please...

Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,653,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

What you will get by waiting for the bank to own it, is a transaction that can be completed in 30 days, instead of waiting months. But you have to wait for months for the foreclosure to happen in the first place, and hope no one else buys it first.
Trust me, that's not going to happen in this market.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM

4,511 posts, read 11,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Quote:
Trust me, that's not going to happen in this market.
Why not? Many homes are bought at the foreclosure auction instead of the bank taking them back.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Why not? Many homes are bought at the foreclosure auction instead of the bank taking them back.
I'm not talking about that aspect of his post. I'm referring to him being worried that REOs will be selling above the initial SS price.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about that aspect of his post. I'm referring to him being worried that REOs will be selling above the initial SS price.
And again, why not? Many short sales are listed well below market value to attract buyers. If they can't get approval and it forecloses, the bank will likely list the home close to market value, above the listed short sale price.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
And again, why not?
Supply/Demand. Read about it sometime.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Supply/Demand. Read about it sometime.
I'm very familiar with the concept. What is so magical about the short sale listing price that you assume a bank listing will always be lower? We're talking about short sale pricing that may have no support based on comps, just a price point that may attract buyers willing to put up with short sale issues vs. a bank listing where the bank reviews market data to set a price. Apples and oranges.

You even have Lacerta that has first hand knowledge of such cases. Are you totally discounting reality?

Regarding supply, in my MLS, there are currently over 11K homes listed as short sales and about 7K as bank owned. Which do think will tend to have their list prices driven lower?

Last edited by rjrcm; 09-09-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
We're talking about short sale pricing that may have no support based on comps
Exactly, listing prices mean nothing. Now you're getting part of the picture.

Here's some reading I usually recommend to my jr. real estate agents, take a look at it sometime:
Set Your Homes Sales Price- Comparable Home Sales Prices- Home Selling Price

Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM

7,187 posts, read 17,701,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcruz View Post
The house is up for sheriffs sale on this Thursday.
This is completely different. A sheriff's sale is typically a tax issue and not a lender issue. The lender can't stop that. And home owners with a house that gets sold in a sheriff's sale (in Texas) have two years to come back, pay their taxes, and reclaim the house. Do you really wanna buy a house that you might have to give back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs