Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 AM

154 posts, read 407,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I drove by a listed house and like what I see as far as exterior and the photos online. I'll be going inside the house in a few days. The house is priced at quite a bit above market value for that area. I don't yet know exactly what condition the inside is in, though the agent who listed it said it's in "excellent" condition. That's subjective to a degree. I know someone who lives down the st who told me that this person's mother (now deceased) owned the house "forever," and now the daughter who's living in it is moving out. Here's my main question...in digging around a little online, "realtytrac" says a house that matches this house's stats (realtytrac gives no specific, just general, street addresses/other info unless you sign up, and I'm not going to) says it's an REO/bank owned property. I'm puzzled (considering what I found out about the occupants), but really do want to know if it's bank-owned, or otherwise going into a distressed-type sale, before I make a bid if I so choose. As an aside, but related: a house one block up the street from this one--and a very similar house---was listed at $169K (also overpriced) 2 yrs ago, then gradually dropped in price, down to $45K in January...I went inside, didn't want it so didn't bid, and just found out that it was bank-owned and was eventually sold for $2800. Point being, I guess, that if this one is in a similar situation, it'd behoove me to wait it out if I like it, rather then bid anything right now. Any advice?

Last edited by lorac07; 08-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
You're saying a house was listed at $169,000, reduced to $45,000, and then sold for $2,800? I think you got some bad information.

If you want access to that information hire a buyer agent and they'll get it for you.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
If it's listed in the MLS, it has to be disclosed if it's a foreclosure, short sale, etc... it is not information that can be kept secret. Realtytrac and most other sites like it post properties that were 1 second late in making a payment, and the majority are not foreclosures.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM

154 posts, read 407,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You're saying a house was listed at $169,000, reduced to $45,000, and then sold for $2,800? I think you got some bad information.

If you want access to that information hire a buyer agent and they'll get it for you.
I have the absolute correct information, verified by the realtor I'm working with as well as public sites. As unlikely as it seems, this is exactly what happened. It was a house I was following, since I was somewhat interested in the type (victorian) and location (small town). Like I said, it was superhigh priced for the town/location. In fact, the owners bought it at $140 2 yrs before putting it on the market, seems like they couldn't afford it--after they'd remodeled extensively--and then put it out there for $169. That's when I first saw the house online, but didn't go inside. I went inside over a yr later when it was going for $79 (it had gradually been dropping in price)...decided NOT to take it (mold problems in attic, water leakage in cellar)...and then watched it reduced more and more till I found the final sale price as $2800---listed online in various public record sites. As an aside: when I was looking, the nextdoor neighbor scurried over to tell me that the guy behind him wanted it---guy being a restaurant owner who had also bought a house on the corner lot of that st, razed the house, and used it for parking for his restaurant---and the neighbor said the restaurant owner also wanted the victorian house's lot for his parking. I only hope it wasn't him who bought the house if he intends to bulldoze it--it really is a beautiful house for the right person.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:33 AM

128 posts, read 508,927 times
If I had to guess I'd say that the $2,800 transfer you saw on some public record was not a sales price, but more likely the tax stamp revenue.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,636 times
I would suggest looking on the tax records to get more information. I am a Realtor, so I would look also on the Multiple Listing Service history as well.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
... Here's my main question...in digging around a little online, "realtytrac" says a house that matches this house's stats (realtytrac gives no specific, just general, street addresses/other info unless you sign up, and I'm not going to) says it's an REO/bank owned property. I'm puzzled (considering what I found out about the occupants), but really do want to know if it's bank-owned, or otherwise going into a distressed-type sale, before I make a bid if I so choose. ... Any advice?
Assuming the home is in the MLS as your thread title implies, then ask an agent. At least in our MLS, the listing agent has to indicate the status if bank owned, short sale, pre-foreclosure, etc. Our tax records also indicate if a foreclosure sale has been scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs