Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM

149 posts, read 830,800 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just made a offer to a shortsale condo 2 weeks ago. And we didn't hear anything back yet. And our agent told us there is no compete offer. Is this normal?
I remembered when we were buying our first house, it only took few hours to hear back from seller. And our agent told us seller have to respond to offer in 48 hr??? I am not sure. Anyway, every seller we encountered repsond quickly to our offers.
Is that because it is a short sale, the seller doesn't have to respond our offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
It's not up to the seller on the price as far as I know. And expect to hear back from the bank in 3 months if no one else throws in an offer. They are simply waiting for other offers. If you're in no hurry just wait it out. Otherwise I'd walk away.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
The sellers can't submit anything to the lender without an executed "contract". They can't just submit offers. If you haven't signed an actual contract, you're going to be waiting a long time to hear back from the bank.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
If the seller agreed to your offer, they should have signed the purchase contract and you should have received a copy. Then the contract goes to the seller's bank for review and hopefully approval of the short sale. You should ask your agent if the contract was sent to the bank. It could take months to get an answer from the bank.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM

38 posts, read 120,466 times
Even though the seller accepts your offer, it's the bank's acceptance that counts. My short sale offer was accepted by the seller 3 days after we made it. The bank however is lagging. We're on day 107 to put it into perspective.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Your contract could have specified a deadline for response from the seller.

The seller can agree, negotiate or decline. Once you and the seller agree to price and terms , the sale will be contingent upon their lender's acceptance of the offer, including the seller's hardship. If there is more than one loan on this property, it's gets substanitally more complicated.

I am aware of several short sales that have been under contract for more than a year, waiting for the lender to aprove it.
One such transaction now has the wanabe buyers renting the place which puts the short sale at a higher risk of failure.

Be aware that most short sales do not close as shorts. Rather they proceed to foreclosure. You cannot compare your prior traditional real estate experiences to a short sale in this market.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 109,172 times
Your agent should have explained the short sale process in detail to you. If they didn't, shame on them! The contract is between you and the seller - the seller can accept your contract, but then it has to be submitted to the bank along with a "hardship" letter and loads of paperwork from the seller. It is critical that the seller's agent be knowledgable about short sales as well. The short sale process can take anywhere from 60 days to over a year to be approved.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
we are going on 4 months now waiting for a reply from the sellers bank. We currently have 2 Short sales under contract. We're only buying one but the way things are going we needed a back-up Short sale. As of now whichever home is approved first is the one we'll take. But then both might fall through. Problem here in FL is there are really no "regular" homes for sale...

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
we are going on 4 months now waiting for a reply from the sellers bank. We currently have 2 Short sales under contract. We're only buying one but the way things are going we needed a back-up Short sale. As of now whichever home is approved first is the one we'll take. But then both might fall through. Problem here in FL is there are really no "regular" homes for sale...
Make sure to get that termination letter out in time to make sure you don't end up with 2 houses!!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM

28 posts, read 90,969 times
hi,
Well things depends in these cases a lot, I mean on lender, on seller, Well I saw some worst cases, where period extended up to one year, while in normal cases It takes 2 to 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs