Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

149 posts, read 829,147 times

Advertisements

We are buying a short sale property. When they made the offer, the sellers agent says there is no competitive offer. Now the seller just signed the contract, does it mean bank will approve it if there is no other offer. I also noticed that, the property is still listed in the market. Is it normal? We haven't given out the earnest money though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,897,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
We are buying a short sale property. When they made the offer, the sellers agent says there is no competitive offer. Now the seller just signed the contract, does it mean bank will approve it if there is no other offer. I also noticed that, the property is still listed in the market. Is it normal? We haven't given out the earnest money though.
First, it is very normal that they property is still listed for sale. It will remain so until your offer is deemed acceptablel to the bank.
Second, the absence of a competing offer dosn't guarantee that the bank will accept your offer. It just means that no one else has put in an offer. If the bank likes your offer, they'll accept it. If not, they'll either refuse it or counter.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,535,908 times
Different areas will handle the listing status differently with an accepted short sale offer by the seller. Here, the status would be changed to "Active with Contingency (AWC)" to indicate that the contract is contingent on bank approval. The seller would usually take back up offers. There are no guarantees with short sales competing offer or not. About the only certainty is that you will likely end up very frustrated during the process of waiting for the bank to respond.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 PM

149 posts, read 829,147 times
Well, we offer an very low price with cash.
I hope the bank will accept it. ..

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 AM

The bank first has to decide if the seller fits their criteria to allow a short sale, for example, does the seller have sufficient hardship. Then they will review the market value of the property and decide if your offer is reasonable as compared to their market value assessment. Then the bank may decide to accept your offer, counter, or decline to approve it. Hopefully you are working with an agent that can guide our through this process.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM

470 posts, read 1,495,167 times
Around here, until the bank approves the short sale, the property usually stays listed. However, a stip could be placed in the purchase offer stating that the seller will not entertain or forward other offers to bank during the waiting period.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,296,208 times
If the offer is close to fair market value, you have a chance.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM

374 posts, read 793,241 times
Yes I agree... The offer better be close to fair market value or you may not even hear and answer from the bank... (happened to us) Does not even matter if it is a cash offer. We put in offer over 1 year ago... the property still show on MLS as "in contingency:" but we never heard back from the bank. Short sales at the least... a needle in the haystack. Buy a foreclosure. When the bank owns the property, they are more likely to do business.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 AM

36 posts, read 72,837 times
Default Short Sale Newbie

hhe - We made an offer on Sept 22nd on a townhouse in Orlando. We were verbally told that day that the offer was accepted, but JUST received the contract signed by the seller four days ago. Now we are waiting on Suntrust to accept the whole shebang, and after reading these posts I'm hoping I can close before I have to install a wheelchair ramp!!! But we live in NJ and this is such a great opportunity to buy our "retirement" home on the cheap, so trying to find patience.
My question to anyone who has been through this is:

- Did you get a lawyer and at what stage? If not, is the process that hard to figure out on your own or do you need one to "CYA"?

- At what point is it too late to back out? When I sign the banks approval?

- Will certain things on an inspection negate the deal and what kind of things would that be?

- Do they have to disclose the Pinecastle Bombing Range? THAT should be interesting, but it doesn't worry me.

Thanx for any info everyone!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanca36 View Post
My question to anyone who has been through this is:

- Did you get a lawyer and at what stage? If not, is the process that hard to figure out on your own or do you need one to "CYA"?

- At what point is it too late to back out? When I sign the banks approval?

- Will certain things on an inspection negate the deal and what kind of things would that be?

- Do they have to disclose the Pinecastle Bombing Range? THAT should be interesting, but it doesn't worry me.

Thanx for any info everyone!!!
Whether you get a lawyer or not may depend on what is normal for your area. But if you have specific legal concerns then consulting with a lawyer may be a good idea.

Your other questions should all be answered in your contract. If you don't understand your contract, then ask your agent (if you have one), or a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs