Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

So, if the owners have 30 days to move their stuff out of the house and they don't do it, then who has the rights to it? RA agent? Property Mgmt co? Bank? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
So, if the owners have 30 days to move their stuff out of the house and they don't do it, then who has the rights to it? RA agent? Property Mgmt co? Bank? Anyone?
According to this documentary the mortgage holder owns the stuff.

Lisa Ling Investigates Foreclosed Homes - Oprah.com

Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 PM

Interesting, but I didn't really get that it was the mtg holder's. I would think it is, but why wouldn't these workers take some of the stuff to sell or keep? If it is just going to the dump? What a waste. I mean even if they donated it...

Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Here is a transcript of the interview between Plocher (owner of the trash out co.) and Lisa Ling.
Southern California Hit Hard by Home Foreclosures | Online NewsHour | October 23, 2008 | PBS

Plocher explains that he is hired by the banks or Mtg Co.
He also says that his crews are trashing out 15 homes a day (up to 4 hours/house). There is no time to hook up with donation places.

You are right, it is a huge waste. So sad!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Hmm, so technically, the workers can take the stuff. The reason I ask is that I know some people who do this for a living and I wasn't sure if it was legal that they take the stuff they might want. Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Hmm, so technically, the workers can take the stuff. The reason I ask is that I know some people who do this for a living and I wasn't sure if it was legal that they take the stuff they might want. Interesting article, thanks for posting it.
Actually, it's up to the bank owner to decide what to do with the stuff. Workers can't just take what they want without some authorization, although in practice that may happen. The clean out crews are authorized by the bank to clean out whatever is left behind and dispose of it. How it is disposed is agreed on between the clean out company and the bank.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 PM

I see. Don't you think, at this point with the way things are, that many bank owners just don't care what happens to it? That they might not even bother getting involved with where the stuff goes as long as it goes?

These guys actually work for the property mgmt/RA company. Maybe the mgmt co. has the deal with the bank owner. I don't really know what the deal is between them, I just heard the guys talking about it as if the stuff was free for their taking. It seemed a little shady to me, but I guess it is so common now that the owners of the property see it so often, they don't want to deal with it?

Thanks for the insight!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
In my business, we are often called by RA and banks to properties that have been vacated.

We have some that say "if you see anything you want, take it... it will save us having to pay to move/clean it"

When there is something especially valuable (say a car, big screen TV or gold bars (ha ha ha)) we call the client and tell them. If we are interested in it, we ask. Small stuff like DVDs or coffe tables, they don't care.

We are often the first on the scene of a repo/forclosure. We've walked in and found half starved animals, human feces, bug infestations, boxes of debris knee deep, rotting food, upturned refridgerators are all more common than anything left behind of value.

It may very well be int he cleaner's contract that if they find anything of value, they can despose of as they wish.... kind of like a bonus for scraping poop off the ceiling so that the prospective buyer won't have it plop on his/her head. People who are being evicted are not happy and some can be especially vulgar in their leaving. It is rare that anything of value is left... I'd say 1 in 70 houses have anything left woth more than 100.00 on the second hand market.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Depends on the laws in that state.

In most states if the house has been abandoned by the previous owner and they leave things behind it becomes the property of the lender.

Again, check the laws of the state where the house is.

As in most states some are allowed to pay the balance and would be allowed back in the home if they pay up in time.

What I have been reading is lenders are going into houses before the people have abandoned the house and removing personal belongings. That is against the law in most states.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
I suspect the reason most of it isn't donated is they don't want the lawsuit when someones complains about their free item. One always spoils it for the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs