Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Just did, where I live it's only foreclosures or short sales and I wasn't interested in putting my life on hold indefinitely to maybe get a deal on a short sale. The foreclosure was as easy, if not easier than a conventional sale because the sellers (Fannie Mae) just treated it like the business transaction it was.

The only downside I've come across so far that nobody else has mentioned is angering the neighbors by setting the new comp so low (we paid half what they all did). Of course the fault should lie with the former owners who dumped this place after buying something bigger and better elsewhere, but instead it's on me.
I bought a foreclosure in Cape Coral , Fl. It was a never lived in home and I bought it for 30% of what it was worth. An investor had it built to flip - resell at a higher price but the bottom fell out of the market and it never sold.

The house sat for two years before it made it though the foreclosure process and I bought it. The grass was dead , all the land scapiing was dead and my neighbors were glad I bought it. I went the econonical way to grow grass, , A good quality seed put down mixed with good top soil. The house has a sprinkler system and I just turned it on , Now I have a beautiful lawn plus I put in some palms and bushes and flowers. No backlash from the neighbors at all.

. I am there in Florida for 6 months out of the year and my neighbors keep an eye on my home and a local fellow takes care of the lawn to keep it green.

Many good buys in Florida today because there are many foreclosures. Yet there are many buyers snagging up the great bargains on the REO's.. Only down side is , Florida has high unemployment but it is a great place to retire .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 63,375 times
There are some fantastic deals to be had. To get a good deal, do your homework and read the fine print. Read the title report and ask questions; read the bank addendums which overwrite anything in the standard purchase and sale contract; research the property and get an inspection. Don't expect the bank to fix anything. You can ask, but expect the answer to be "as-is".

If you're buying a short sale, try to find out where the seller is in the process. Ask if its been approved by the bank at the asking price, and how long it takes for the asset manager to respond to offers.

Of course these are all important steps in any home purchase, and even more so with distressed properties.

Joy Moran, Licensed Broker in Olympia, WA
Olympia WA Homes and Real Estate - Keller Williams Realty Olympia

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
My number one piece of advice is to get a good attorney. My attorney cost $450 and was worth every penny. The Fannie Mae standard contracts and agreements can be amended with the right attorney.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
I think buying a foreclosure is kinda like marrying a divorced person. There are some great deals out there, but you have to be selective.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,154 times
The wife and I are going to look into buyimg a couple of forcloseres here in the next 3-4 months down in Florida. The plan is to turn them into rent homes and a possible vacation home.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I bought a foreclosed Texas farm two years ago for less than the cost of a new/used pickup truck. Lots of work but then what is life about?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
They can be fantastic deals. homes for 18 cents on the dollar... iis this really serious? who wouldn't buy them?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,511 times
Bought a freddie mac one in March and looking for another in the RDU area! Was a great investment, and making a nice profit off my renters. Neighbors happy that the house has been fixed up and occupied by great family.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,593 times
Purchasing a bank owned in Chicago right now! I'm using a 203k to fix it up, and my mortgage with taxes and insurance will be around $620 a month. You can't beat it!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,142 times
But some foreclosure houses you can't look inside the house before you make an offer, so how do you know about the condition of the house and think the price is reasonable, cheap or overprice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs