Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

The property was HUD listed at $126 a square foot in a community where updated houses are selling at $105-110 a square foot. This place is in ok shape (however dry rot in some places in soffits), needs some repairs and a new front door and new garage door but not anything scary, but has original (working) HVAC, windows, kitchen and baths --- nothing updated since 1984. I bid $90 a square foot. HUD then lowered the priced to $105 a square foot but never responded to my bid in anyway at all. So there the property sits. I have done the math a zillion times and it just makes no sense to pay any more than what I offered. Although I have to buy it as an investor (we own a home), it is what I want for our retirement home so I plan to clean it up, lease it out a few years and then renovate it and move in. Is it usual practice for HUD to just ignore bids and not even respond. My realtor -- who submitted the bid for me -- is a complete loser and just shrugs and says he doesn't know. Last time I ever use him. Any ideas on getting this house? Rebid it again at $100 more thru another broker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The property was HUD listed at $126 a square foot in a community where updated houses are selling at $105-110 a square foot. This place is in ok shape (however dry rot in some places in soffits), needs some repairs and a new front door and new garage door but not anything scary, but has original (working) HVAC, windows, kitchen and baths --- nothing updated since 1984. I bid $90 a square foot. HUD then lowered the priced to $105 a square foot but never responded to my bid in anyway at all. So there the property sits. I have done the math a zillion times and it just makes no sense to pay any more than what I offered. Although I have to buy it as an investor (we own a home), it is what I want for our retirement home so I plan to clean it up, lease it out a few years and then renovate it and move in. Is it usual practice for HUD to just ignore bids and not even respond. My realtor -- who submitted the bid for me -- is a complete loser and just shrugs and says he doesn't know. Last time I ever use him. Any ideas on getting this house? Rebid it again at $100 more thru another broker?
Old rule was that HUD would be looking to net about 88%--90% of the listing price.
They probably figure you are so far off there is no point in countering.
Or your offer is messed up technically and not worth responding to.

Who is the asset manager?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Your realtor should follow up, but really there may be no information for him to know. HUD is a big government agency. They might think the house is worth more. Unless they discuss their reasoning with the listing agent (doesn't always happen) and gives permission for that person to discuss it with your agent, there is no more information to give you. Sometimes follow up helps, but not always. Probably you could submit another offer on the house now that it's been on the market for a while. Can't hurt to try, all it takes is time.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Forgot to mention that HUD bids are handled differently than other properties. Make sure the agent knows how to make a technically correct offer on a HUD home.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
HUD often does not respond to bids where the net is not within the matrix. I tell people to up their bid by $100 or $500 whatever makes the most sense to them.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
In my experience, HUD does not usually counter. They either accept or reject. And they respond by you checking their website. In my area, they use hudhomestore.com, I don't know how widespread that site is, but it looks like it might be the site for the whole US now. We used a different one until recently, so yours might be something different. On that particular website, if you submit an offer, and the next day, the house still says it is for sale, your offer was rejected. If they accept an offer, the house will disappear from the website the next day, and you can check on the bid to see if it was yours that got accepted. That is all they do for response. If it was your offer that got accepted, you have to mail a bunch of paperwork in to them.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
HUDHomeStore is the site for the entire country now.
HUD MAY counter, but the buyer and agent need to know that a counter is the amount that HUD wants to NET after costs.
And, the counter is not necessarily exclusive to any particular bidder. HUD may offer the counter to many bidders, and be happy as long as they get their net.

How timely is this post, as I just spent a couple of hours at a HUDPemco session today?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-12-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
If I bid again, just $100 more, do I need to use the same RE agent? I didn't sign an exclusive agreement with him......

Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
you have to use a HUD approved brokerage. Just ask your agent if they have an NAID number.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
HUD has some really specific rules that they follow for pricing and then for acceptance of an offer. Homes always start at appraised value and they drop the price about 10% every 30 days until it sells. (at least that is what the manager does out here). They don't budge much off list price. They average 6% off list price in my area.

HUD will counter sometimes. Typically they just ignore low offers that don't fit in their criteria and hold them as "back up offers." You are still in their system as a back up, but submitting $100 more is a waste of time. You have to be in the matrix to have a response.

It is the way of HUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs