Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times

Advertisements

Well I say this because I'm in the exact scenario. I'm personally purchasing my second REO with financing and have a first time buyer client that wants to go to auction with conventional financing in hand. I've explained the risks at great length with him and if he decides not to offer before the auction then we'll go bid.

I've been to an auction before. It wasn't really what I thought it would be. About 10 guys showed up that all looked like investors or contractors and the bidding was over after 5 minutes. Kind of anti-climatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Well I say this because I'm in the exact scenario. I'm personally purchasing my second REO with financing and have a first time buyer client that wants to go to auction with conventional financing in hand. I've explained the risks at great length with him and if he decides not to offer before the auction then we'll go bid.

I've been to an auction before. It wasn't really what I thought it would be. About 10 guys showed up that all looked like investors or contractors and the bidding was over after 5 minutes. Kind of anti-climatic.
How are you managing to purchase at auction with conventional financing? In particular, how do you deal with the two big issues; 1.) Purchaser will have to complete the purchase within 30 days. Tough for anyone to guarantee a 30 day closing in the current environment. And 2.) no bank will lend without an appraisal. Purchaser has no right to enter the premises until after purchase is complete. How does an appraisal get done so the bank can lend the money?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM

192 posts, read 826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
How are you managing to purchase at auction with conventional financing? In particular, how do you deal with the two big issues; 1.) Purchaser will have to complete the purchase within 30 days. Tough for anyone to guarantee a 30 day closing in the current environment. And 2.) no bank will lend without an appraisal. Purchaser has no right to enter the premises until after purchase is complete. How does an appraisal get done so the bank can lend the money?
My guess is that they're watching a specific house that's currently a short sale and then waiting for the auction date to try and get a better deal on the property? So it's possible they could have seen the house and noted its condition and know what price they want to pay for it, and are willing to risk it by going to auction.

Still not something I would recommend for a first time homebuyer!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:32 PM

This particular home is available to show before the auction. I've been in touch with the auction company and their recommendation is to do the inspections before an offer is made. In this particular home it is listed almost under 100k from the comps in the last 6 months. Closing in 30 days isn't that far fetched however in their disclosures they state 14-21 for cash, 45 for conventional and 60 for FHA.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
This particular home is available to show before the auction. I've been in touch with the auction company and their recommendation is to do the inspections before an offer is made. In this particular home it is listed almost under 100k from the comps in the last 6 months. Closing in 30 days isn't that far fetched however in their disclosures they state 14-21 for cash, 45 for conventional and 60 for FHA.
Auction company? So this isn't a foreclosure auction? That's the impression I had, because of the thread title.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Sorry I think I confused myself here. It is foreclosed and was listed by a brokerage. It is now up for auction through a separate company that allows pre auction offers.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Sorry I think I confused myself here. It is foreclosed and was listed by a brokerage. It is now up for auction through a separate company that allows pre auction offers.
Thanks, I was confused about your comments too. I've never heard of a bank foreclosure auction (trustee sale here) where they don't require all cash within at most a few days. You could try to get a hard money loan to front the cash. As you indicated, private company auctions that may include bank-owned properties are much more flexible.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Thanks, I was confused about your comments too. I've never heard of a bank foreclosure auction (trustee sale here) where they don't require all cash within at most a few days. You could try to get a hard money loan to front the cash. As you indicated, private company auctions that may include bank-owned properties are much more flexible.
In NJ, the winning bidder at the Sheriff's foreclosure auction is required to pay 20% immediately, and the remainder within 30 days, (though interest starts accruing on the 11th day.)

Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In NJ, the winning bidder at the Sheriff's foreclosure auction is required to pay 20% immediately, and the remainder within 30 days, (though interest starts accruing on the 11th day.)
Here in AZ, it's $10K down and rest by 5pm the next day.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
I think the OP is talking about those "auctions' that are a hodge podge of houses investors, multi-home owners, finance companies and regualar sellers use to create a bid type sale. You know the ones where its attended by 100 people, 50 who just attended a seminar by some get rich quick person on buying homes at aution, 30 are people who are jumping on the bandwagon, and 20 are not bidding at all but selling related services to the crowd. These are the ones with a $150,000 home with a listed starting bid of $99,000 and ends up selling for $199,000 through the excitment of the bidding process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs