Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM

939 posts, read 1,884,039 times

Advertisements

• I've been watching this condo go through foreclosure for 5 months and hoping it would make its way onto the market so i could buy. I attended today's foreclosure auction, with no intention of buying it because I'm not liquid.The bidding started at 316 and ended at 352. I approached the buyer afterwards (investors group) and indicated I'd be interested in buying it using a traditional mortgage. They wanted me to make an offer right there. I mentioned that a comp 3 floors below (same unit) sold for 377 4 months ago and they said "but this is the penthouse!". Sensing they were being pushy, I said I couldn't make an offer without going inside.
  • Anyways, I'm thinking they would probably be happy to make a quick 20-25K for doing nothing, but most of that margin would be eaten up by Realtor fees. They said they'd be willing to give me a good deal if we avoided a Realtor. Additionally, I would likely be purchasing it before it ever hits MLS and is officially listed. I've seen this same group at the auctions before so I know they do this for a living..
  • My problem here is : I have a signed buyer's agreement with a real estate agent (for the last 3 months). The full scope of my contact with her has been a few emails and a few calls. She has made 3 calls on my behalf to scope out listed properties, but we have never physically met (I knew her from a few years ago when she was a buyer's agent for a family member), nor have I gone to any showings with her. To be honest, I'm small potatoes to her, as she does probably 3-7 Million in sales a month, and my max budget is 400k. Most of the homes she sells start at 500 and many are 700-1.2.
  • She has also channeled me through her contact at a bank to get me pre-approved, but I've been pre-approved elsewhere.
So here's my question: Is it legal, moral or ill-advised to proceed without her? If I can legally proceed, what sort of council should I see for obtaining a mortgage and purchasing this without using Realtors on either end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,733,191 times
What's the expiration date on your buyers agreement? That's the critical part, not what she has or hasn't done so far. If it is still effective you can always ask to be released from the agreement and see what she says. Legal? Read your contract, Moral? Personal decision. Ill advised? Depends on how competant you are at evaluatiing relevent comps, negotiating contracts, managing all the nuances of a transaction, including the loan process on your own. Some have the skills needed, some don't.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 05-31-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,352,315 times
It depends entirely on the terms of your buyer's rep. Is it for specific properties (I'm guessing no) or is it a broad one that covers whatever you buy in a set time period (which is what it sounds like)? When does it expire? What does it say happens if you buy a house the agent didn't find for you? Those all play a role. In short, no one here can answer that for you, you must refer to the paperwork you signed.

Whether you SHOULD do this is another question entirely. Since you have already observed that they are being pushy on it, and you haven't run the comps yourself to know fair market value, I would suggest you have SOMEONE who represents you, either an agent or an attorney. Also, by not using an agent, you would probably have to use their contract form (at least in my state, that is how it usually happens), which is going to be heavily biased toward them, and probably have little to no protection for you written in.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It depends entirely on the terms of your buyer's rep. Is it for specific properties (I'm guessing no) or is it a broad one that covers whatever you buy in a set time period (which is what it sounds like)? When does it expire? What does it say happens if you buy a house the agent didn't find for you? Those all play a role. In short, no one here can answer that for you, you must refer to the paperwork you signed.

Whether you SHOULD do this is another question entirely. Since you have already observed that they are being pushy on it, and you haven't run the comps yourself to know fair market value, I would suggest you have SOMEONE who represents you, either an agent or an attorney. Also, by not using an agent, you would probably have to use their contract form (at least in my state, that is how it usually happens), which is going to be heavily biased toward them, and probably have little to no protection for you written in.
The buyer's agreement is for Washington DC, and has a note that says " for additional properties located in Northern Virginia", which is the only reference to anything for Virginia. Of course, Northern Virginia is a subjective term...

It expires on June 30th, 2012, so I have on month..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,168,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The buyer's agreement is for Washington DC, and has a note that says " for additional properties located in Northern Virginia", which is the only reference to anything for Virginia. Of course, Northern Virginia is a subjective term...

It expires on June 30th, 2012, so I have on month..
I'd guess that it's not that subjective, i.e., that the realtor could cite something in the contract, or elsewhere, delineating what is defined by NoVa. For instance, any counties where the realtor can sell. One real estate Web site has this: "For real estate statistical purposes, the local association defines “Northern Virginia” as Alexandria City, Arlington County, Falls Church City, Fairfax City, and Fairfax County. These are also the counties covered by our local association Northern Virginia Association of Realtors (NVAR), and NVAR members have access to all the homes for sale in those jurisdictions."

Where is your property? Have you asked the realtor for additional services or are you hoping to find a loophole so you can proceed and not pay them the fee they might say they are owed due to the agreement you signed? You may need to find a lawyer, or at least ask the real estate association for more info.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I'd guess that it's not that subjective, i.e., that the realtor could cite something in the contract, or elsewhere, delineating what is defined by NoVa. For instance, any counties where the realtor can sell. One real estate Web site has this: "For real estate statistical purposes, the local association defines “Northern Virginia” as Alexandria City, Arlington County, Falls Church City, Fairfax City, and Fairfax County. These are also the counties covered by our local association Northern Virginia Association of Realtors (NVAR), and NVAR members have access to all the homes for sale in those jurisdictions."

Where is your property? Have you asked the realtor for additional services or are you hoping to find a loophole so you can proceed and not pay them the fee they might say they are owed due to the agreement you signed? You may need to find a lawyer, or at least ask the real estate association for more info.
the property falls within that range. I'm sort of trying to find a loophole considering I've done all the legwork for this, and outside of a few phone calls and email exchanges haven't had much contact with my real estate agent.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,182 times
You can ask her to cancel the agreement

You can wait a month

You can pay her the commission and she'll represent you

You can offer a higher amount to the investors and they pay the commission

Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
You can ask her to cancel the agreement

You can wait a month

You can pay her the commission and she'll represent you

You can offer a higher amount to the investors and they pay the commission
I'd be happy to kick her 4K to finalize the deal for me, but 15 seems like a bit much considering I've done every bit of work regarding this except the offer..

Is there a service I can hire for a flat rate to just finalize the paper work?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,182 times
Why not just pitch that to her? $4000 is better than nothing and the hard part of finding the house is done so it's more or less paperwork and phone calls/emails from here out.

The service you're referring to are real estate attorneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs