U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,612 times

Advertisements

i found a house which is reo and i want to buy it. i will not flip or rent, and will stay there approx half the time, and plan to keep the home long term. i do have a primary house that due to market conditions will be a year or 3 before i could sell if i choose. the owner occupied clause has primary residence and 1 year as such and occupied within 30 days. pretty sure if i don't get in on owner occupied phase, someone else will own this home although it will be someone using as vacation home or they will flip. don't have a problem moving wife and dogs into the house after some upgrades, but will still have house i live in. any advice or opinions would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
REO is typically owned by bank and doesn't necessarily have an owner occupied phase. There is something call Homeopath HUD which does have a non investor phase.

Non borrowing wife and dog would most likely make it a 2nd home for conventional. You might find a non conventional lender. If you can't sell your current home due to lack of equity your options may be even more limited.

Just my opinion.

Do you have kids that can buy it for you?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,612 times
i wish. got a full dependant in college. there is a requirement that house be owner occupied. would having my family stay there half the time or a little more. can i qualify as owner occupied even though i have another house. not worried about the loan to get the house, just being able to bid as owner occupier rather than 2nd or investor. and not going to rent or flip.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,324,210 times
If the sale is conditioned upon it being owner occupied, you'll need to make a good faith effort to do so: making it your primary residence, having your homestead exemption being on that house (if applicable), transferring your driver's license and voters registration to that location, etc. If you don't do those basic things you could likely get called out on it.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustus83 View Post
i wish. got a full dependant in college. there is a requirement that house be owner occupied. would having my family stay there half the time or a little more. can i qualify as owner occupied even though i have another house. not worried about the loan to get the house, just being able to bid as owner occupier rather than 2nd or investor. and not going to rent or flip.
I thought you were trying to do an owner occupied loan, but there appears to be other owner occupant requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs