Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM

389 posts, read 426,377 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this as a job? I have an interview set up today. Wondering how much the pay would be. I have searched online, but can't find much information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Hi,
Thanks for answering. I am still on the fence. I talked to the lady who does the hiring for this company. They want someone to work several counties, some of them are very rural. I am in Kentucky. The pay is 4.00 for occupied and 6.00 for unoccupied. They do not pay for gas. I am on the fence, don't know if it's worth it or not. We had a bad winter here last year and it can take several days for some of the more rural counties to become passable if there is snow or ice. I am also concerned about possibly encountering angry homeowners since she said most of the homes are currently occupied. I lost my job and am on unemployment, trying to find something to get away from the corporate grind. She said it would be 2 days a week to complete all the orders. Debating what to do. Was thinking about trying it and seeing what income I could make.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,032,721 times
$4.00? Four? Per property?

That's completely crazy. If you spend 10 minutes on admin tasks such as getting the assignment, uploading photos, and some amount of billing and record keeping, and each assignment only takes 10 minutes for travel and actual photography, you only make $12/hour. That is before expenses, and assumes you get 24 assignments daily to make a full day of work.

If hat is an accurate price this isn't even worth pursuing.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Yes, 4.00 for occupied properties. She said it would be the front and side of house and that I would not have to leave the car. Outside of my town is pretty rural. I am concerned about being in unfamiliar areas and doing a lot of driving.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,032,721 times
That doesn't even pass the sniff test. If you don't have to leave the car, why are they providing a price differential between occupied and not occupied? Unless the house is on a corner, you will need to leave the car to photograph the side of the property.

The federal government reimburses mileage at 56 cents/mile, which is a pretty reasonable rate when you consider maintenance and capital replacement. Using this as a base, if you put on as little as 7.5 miles per property you are merely covering costs. In reality, at that point you are really losing money, as you still need to put in time away from the car to file your photos.

Plus, this job is going to need you to supply the camera, phone, and Internet connection. Sure, you may already own these things and pay for Internet, but the bottom line is you are subsidizing the bank by using your own equipment.

All of that stuff aside, do you think you could possibly make enough money to make it worthwhile at $4 an address? What happens when you get into a car accident and it is determined that you were using your vehicle for work purposes? That is a pretty easy way for your insurance carrier to deny the claim.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM

Good point about the insurance. Plus my car is at almost 200,000. Thanks for your feedback. This sounds like a bad deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs