Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,049,704 times

Advertisements

There are some blocks here with a half dozen or more RVs. Mostly heroin addicts and thieves living in them. It's a somewhat unusual lifestyle choice, so I can see why more people don't do it.

There was one dude living in a conspicuously nice, newer RV down behind a nearby supermarket. It turns out he had been evicted for dealing heroin and started selling out of the RV. That didn't last long fortunately, but it's pretty typical of why people end up living in RV's - lifestyles that aren't really compatible with the terms on a typical lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,851,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
An RV is the second best living option after a home.

They totally beat apartments which I feel are a waste of cash if lived in long term.
of course we could all argue that statement in many ways. RV's are VERY expensive to maintain (is my advice), they are not serviceable for daily (365/ yr) use. (YMMV), I usually upgrade the components but is not bullet-proof.

Some like boats
some condos.
some Co-ops
some cottages
Some IC's (intentional communities)
I have had 2 friends that loved their Tee-Pee's (fulltime)
2 friends in yurts
1 friend in a caboose
tiny houses....cruises... hotels, travel lodges...

then there are the MANY flavors of RV. I like my 20 mpg Class C, but would not even consider LIVING in it, (Even solo) I spent several months in it, and was fine, but always had options.

Several friends do the fulltime RV thing, my mom tried it in all different rigs, but never settled in.

Like me... she keeps a home with RV hookups + extra living space and a HUGE shop / barn with apartment.

I rent my BIG house and stay in the apartment in the shop. Works well for me. Someone is there to wtch over the place, feed the farm dog, and shoot critters and such. + tend the livestock / orchard / gardens.

Eventually my 'caregiver' will have the big house, and I the cottage. (I will be too old for the RV)

Here is a RV community that provides for aging RV'rs Escapees Care Center

Old 09-24-2015, 05:45 AM

17,199 posts, read 21,888,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Trailer Houses are just RV's with the wheels off.

Millions of them through out the US.
Yes you are correct but typically even a single wide trailer is bigger than a road going RV......

Joke of the thread:

What does a tornado and a divorce in Alabama have in common?

In both cases somebody is losing their trailer!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,170,247 times
I would like to try living in a class b rv for a few years. Just to travel around and see America while I can and with no worry about a house. There are a lot of people doing it and some post video's on youtube. It's not easy, lots of headaches, not cheap, but it does appeal to me. Maybe sometime in the future.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:01 PM

111 posts, read 118,039 times
Our family has been living in a 40' RV for over 3 years now. It is much cheaper than a house, and you can change your scenery as often as you like. Self contained and reliant. All the comforts of a house (residential SS appliances, flat screen TV's, washer/dryer, king size bed, tons of storage). There are so many options to camp cheap and even free. We are selling our RV now only because we have seen what we want to up to this point and looking at school systems for kids. I would do this again over the new Tiny House craze.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,046,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
People want bathrooms with running water and electricity. Not portable homes on wheels. Even if you do find a permanent place for it you can find yourself paying $600 a month lot rent for a parking space for your RV, there is one near me and I looked into possibly buying one but more of a permanent thing. Went to one that wanted $5,000, It had a little permanent porch area. Looked around, couldn't fine the shower, asked the lady showing it (selling for an older person who was in a nursing home I think) to me where the shower was, she couldn't find it. Turns out they had closed it off and put a board over the tub area and didn't have working plumbing. Homes were very overpriced in that area because lot rents were only like $350 as opposed to $700 for nice mobile home communities.
But RV's DO have bathrooms with running water, stoves, and electrical hook ups.
And most have gas heat and electric air conditioning.

Did you think these folks were backpack camping?

Lot rent is generally in the $300-400/mo. range, or for travelers around $22-$39/night, with $30 being average-y.

"Mobile" (which are really unmobile) homes, aka Trailers, aka Manufactured homes often have lot rent around $500-700/mo. Perhaps you are confused with those, as your post sure does indicate you are confusing the two.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 AM

21,805 posts, read 12,829,233 times
And, of course, you can "boondock" (but with amenities, thanks to generators and now even solar panels) for free on any city street in a Class B. Can't beat that price!

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 PM

948 posts, read 917,579 times
I think this may be becoming more popular. A friend of mine has been doing it for about a year. Another friend is going to start this spring, after she sells her house. They don't know each other well, so it's not like one of them suggested it to the other. It's purely coincidence that 2 women I know are doing this with their husbands.

I think it might be fun, but my daughter is still young and needs some stability. Besides, I think little kids need lots of toys and books to stimulate their growing minds. The children of one of my friends are already in their teens, and the other woman's kids have already graduated college. This would have been great to do before kids though, or when they are older.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 PM

948 posts, read 917,579 times
BTW, both of my friends like the idea of traveling around the country in their home. I don't know what the one lady does for a living, but I know the couple that are planning to start this after they sell their house both work for the airlines. Their job involves traveling, so there is no reason their home can't travel too. DH and I work online, so we could do it too, but we're limited by having a child in elementary school.

People who have a job in a specific location wouldn't gain the same benefit of moving around the country when they feel like, so the RV life might not be as appealing to them.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,411,491 times
In Portland, many people live in an RV because they can't afford housing. As the country becomes poorer, RV living will become more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs