Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,651,636 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to find out what the bank is owed on the property?

I can't think of a better way to phrase the question. Help appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM

My question should have been "is it possible to find out the amount owed on the property when the bank repossesses it".

I found it. I think. But why wouldn't the owner sell the property at a loss and get out of debt before allowing it to be repossessed? In the situation I am referring to, the owner tried unsuccessfully to sell the property at market value.

I know nothing about real estate transactions. The lack of response here suggests to me that this is a foolish question. I think there must be something obvious here that I don't see.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 AM

8,540 posts, read 12,300,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
My question should have been "is it possible to find out the amount owed on the property when the bank repossesses it".
You can usually find out the amount of the original mortgage since that amount would be in the public records...and you can estimate what might still be owed given a typical amortized payment schedule. But, if you see the advertised foreclosure sale, the minimum bid amount is oftentimes the amount which was owed on the mortgage at the time of foreclosure.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The lack of response here suggests to me that this is a foolish question.
No, it's probably more due to it being Sunday morning.

EDIT: Darn. I just noticed that this was my 5,000th post. I was hoping that my 5,000th post would have been more substantive.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
No, it's probably more due to it being Sunday morning.

EDIT: Darn. I just noticed that this was my 5,000th post. I was hoping that my 5,000th post would have been more substantive.

If it helps, it meant a lot to me

Happy 5.000th!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
If it helps, it meant a lot to me

Happy 5.000th!
Thanks.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,902,143 times
Quote:

I found it. I think. But why wouldn't the owner sell the property at a loss and get out of debt before allowing it to be repossessed? In the situation I am referring to, the owner tried unsuccessfully to sell the property at market value.

I know nothing about real estate transactions. The lack of response here suggests to me that this is a foolish question. I think there must be something obvious here that I don't see.
It may depend on your location.
In NJ, which is a Judicial Foreclosure state, you can find it in the court documents. When the foreclosure auction is advertised, as the law requires, the "Judgement amount" is listed. That's the amount the bank is owed, and the reason for the foreclosure action.

If the owner wants to sell the property, they need to pay the lender back the outstanding amount. The lender doesn't care if the house is sold for more or less than the amount owed. If the market value of the house isn't sufficient to cover that outstanding amount, the borrower need to somehow come up with the difference. If he can't, he might ask the bank to accept less than the full amount. That would be a short sale, if the lender agreed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs