Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 AM

792 posts, read 492,079 times

Advertisements

I noticed the delinquent tax sale notice on the lot next door. I am very interested in acquiring it for no other reason than to keep it wooded. Here is what I know. The lot is half of an acre with a rental property on the other half. Apparently the rental house had a fire ~5 years ago, someone purchased it, fixed it up and now rents it out. The county website lists the same trust as the owner of the rental and the half I am interested it. This is a red flag to me, I don't understand why someone (?) would split a lot in two and "abandon" half of it. There isn't very good road access so you'd basically have to go through the occupied/rental half to get there.

I have been reading as much as I can find on the subject. It appears to vary by county/state, but here is what I understand. If I do "win" the rights to pay the delinquent tax, there is a 1 year period for the current owner to redeem the property. After that year, it would be in my best interest to have a lawyer do a title search, contact everyone ever associated with the property and then arrange a court date to quiet claim (?) and then I would pretty much be in the clear?

If I am primarily just interested in having the property and the current owner (trust) doesn't seem keen on paying the taxes in a timely manner, what would be the harm in contacting them and offering to pay the taxes + $500 to take it off their hands?

Apologies for any mangled real estate speak, I get lost in claims/deeds/title language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM

8,540 posts, read 12,287,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I noticed the delinquent tax sale notice on the lot next door. I am very interested in acquiring it for no other reason than to keep it wooded. Here is what I know. The lot is half of an acre with a rental property on the other half. Apparently the rental house had a fire ~5 years ago, someone purchased it, fixed it up and now rents it out. The county website lists the same trust as the owner of the rental and the half I am interested it. This is a red flag to me, I don't understand why someone (?) would split a lot in two and "abandon" half of it. There isn't very good road access so you'd basically have to go through the occupied/rental half to get there.

I have been reading as much as I can find on the subject. It appears to vary by county/state, but here is what I understand. If I do "win" the rights to pay the delinquent tax, there is a 1 year period for the current owner to redeem the property. After that year, it would be in my best interest to have a lawyer do a title search, contact everyone ever associated with the property and then arrange a court date to quiet claim (?) and then I would pretty much be in the clear?

If I am primarily just interested in having the property and the current owner (trust) doesn't seem keen on paying the taxes in a timely manner, what would be the harm in contacting them and offering to pay the taxes + $500 to take it off their hands?

Apologies for any mangled real estate speak, I get lost in claims/deeds/title language.
Before I read down to the bolded line, that's what I was going to suggest (offering them more than they owed on the taxes). If they want to keep the property, they would probably exercise their redemption rights. If they don't want the property, perhaps they'll let it go on the cheap. You don't have anything to lose by asking.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,884,320 times
Mr. Bruce,
I understand your desire to purchase that lot. I would do the same thing.
A Trust is an entity unto itself. You would have to have the Trust investigated to see who
controls it.
Rental properties pay 3 times the real estate taxes per lot, just because it is a rental. If it was
a legal rental. That might be why they split it, the empty undeveloped lot would be taxed at a much
lower rate, no dwelling being on it.
You technically won't own a tax sale property in SC for at least 1 year, where I am at, Aiken county, it is
2 years. So do not put any money into the property, but you just want it to be woods anyway. That is written in stone by the way, it isn't easy getting around that.
You could buy it cheap, and wait.
If the Trust wants to pay off the real estate taxes due, you will be paid a good interest rate on your investment
anyway.
If the Trust let it go up to auction, the chances of it paying the back taxes usually aren't good. So, you
could end up with a nice lot.
Is the lot next to yours? If it isn't, you might not want to get involved with it.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:06 AM

792 posts, read 492,079 times
Nevermind

Last edited by Mr Bruce; 08-30-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM

370 posts, read 442,454 times
From a tax lien investor and conservationist, I advise you to go ahead and buy the lot at tax sale. Assuming you understand that this will be an new tax bill that you must now pay forever.

Tax liens are the most direct route towards having a say over anyone else that eventually decides to purchase the property because they have to pay it off before doing anything with the bank.

As you go forward with the lien. Take special care to photograph the notices on the property and have some form of "Proof of Notice" for anyone that is responsible for the lien. Legally, once someone has been notified of a tax lien they can no longer use the "I did not know about the tax lien" defense in court.

Finally, depending on the term of the lien, you will be issued a "tax title" or "tax deed" to the properties. One day, 3 or even 30 years from now, someone may take you to court to "annul the tax lien". You simply represent yourself and demand repayment of the back taxes owed when speaking to the judge. Offering no defense in court to an heir of the property owners forces them to repay and you get a large check as a conclusion to this whole affair.

Your whole stated goal here is to protect the trees and that is what I do with my tax sale properties here in Louisiana.

I salute you for your noble efforts and wish you all the best! Feel free to message me anytime and I will answer any questions you might have privately.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
Default tax sales in irvington nj beware!

​Me and my wife have been buying certificates at the tax sale in Irvington NJ for quite some time, and its just been a nightmare i just had enough.

Irvington twp receives the check from the property owner but they play games on and on about this delay and this delay, it missed this meeting so it will go on the next meeting, someone forgot to put it on that meeting so it will go on the following meeting. then it finally does so you will get your check in a few days right? no! the finance office did not cut the checks yet because someone is out of town, when will he be back next week, ok so i wait again he comes back in to town but he is at "meetings" the the whole day, and anyway dont call us call the tax office i am told, but the tax office for years has been telling me its not their fault its the finance office who cuts the checks.

4 months after the interest date was calculated and i finally got my check!
(I am not talking of a small check, i am talking of checks in the 100-200k range, same story every time)
No wonder why Irvington is suffering, with such neglect and abuse for public service something big has to change, and it looks like mayor tony vauss is on the right path, he just might new to cut off some of the old heads that have old bad habits and are not ready to change.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,648,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisgrover View Post
​Me and my wife have been buying certificates at the tax sale in Irvington NJ for quite some time, and its just been a nightmare i just had enough.

Irvington twp receives the check from the property owner but they play games on and on about this delay and this delay, it missed this meeting so it will go on the next meeting, someone forgot to put it on that meeting so it will go on the following meeting. then it finally does so you will get your check in a few days right? no! the finance office did not cut the checks yet because someone is out of town, when will he be back next week, ok so i wait again he comes back in to town but he is at "meetings" the the whole day, and anyway dont call us call the tax office i am told, but the tax office for years has been telling me its not their fault its the finance office who cuts the checks.

4 months after the interest date was calculated and i finally got my check!
(I am not talking of a small check, i am talking of checks in the 100-200k range, same story every time)
No wonder why Irvington is suffering, with such neglect and abuse for public service something big has to change, and it looks like mayor tony vauss is on the right path, he just might new to cut off some of the old heads that have old bad habits and are not ready to change.
I wouldn't even buy a soda in Irvington, NJ. It's worse than Newark, at least Newark has some small areas that are not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs