Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
The property I was looking at is bank-owned but not a foreclosure. Is this considered an REO then? It's not labeled as such though.

If it's bank owned, does that necessarily mean it's a foreclosure or not always?

Highest and best offer takes it, so I'm assuming it's a form of auction without an auction house involved (no auction fees, etc.).
How did the bank take title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
The property I was looking at is bank-owned but not a foreclosure. Is this considered an REO then? It's not labeled as such though.

If it's bank owned, does that necessarily mean it's a foreclosure or not always?

Highest and best offer takes it, so I'm assuming it's a form of auction without an auction house involved (no auction fees, etc.).
If the bank owns the house, title was most likely acquired by foreclosing on the mortgage...so it's no longer in foreclosure, it's already foreclosed upon. It would be considered an REO, labeled or not.

Highest and best offer usually is the offer accepted in all cases. That doesn't mean it's sold through an auction.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 PM

420 posts, read 468,868 times
what jackmichigan said makes sense but i'm not sure that's really what went down. I looked at the tax and assessment info. and the transfer from former owner to bank was from October of last year and the house was put in the market this month. It couldn't have been a foreclosure. I looked at the name of the current title holder/owner:

WILMINGTON SAVINGS FUND SOCIETY FSB TRUSTEE

Is this a bank or a trustee?

From what I understand if people die off and have no one else to claim their possessions as a next of kin, it goes to a trustee? Is this what happened here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How did the bank take title?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:44 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
what jackmichigan said makes sense but i'm not sure that's really what went down. I looked at the tax and assessment info. and the transfer from former owner to bank was from October of last year and the house was put in the market this month. It couldn't have been a foreclosure. I looked at the name of the current title holder/owner:

WILMINGTON SAVINGS FUND SOCIETY FSB TRUSTEE

Is this a bank or a trustee?
What is the basis for your conclusion that it couldn't have been a foreclosure? On the contrary, if title was transferred from the former owner to the bank last October, it most likely was a foreclosure.

Wilmington Savings Fund Society also goes by the name WSFS Bank. "FSB" is short for "federal savings bank".

Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 AM

340 posts, read 222,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There is no such thing as a bidding war, except in superstition.
Clearly you haven't seen me winning jewelry for my wife on eBay. She calls me "hot hands"

Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
I'd like to provide a little clarification if this thread is still being viewed......
1) It wouldn't exactly be a bidding war. However, if 2 or more people put in offers using different realtors, the one with the lower bid would of course go back to his customer and inform him/her/them they were outbid. They of course can then choose to up their bid. Also, even if a bid is accepted, if that customer doesn't pay for "due diligence" (this is money to have the property taken off the market while the customer has inspections done), another offer can still come in.
2) A property owned by the bank is an REO. It is not always a foreclosure quote unquote. A foreclosure goes on your credit and looks bad for a number of years. Borrowers can due a "deed-in-lieu". This mean giving title back to the lender instead of going through a foreclosure. Why? For example, you have a job making great money, discover your boss is Bernie Madoff and now you're out of work. You're having trouble getting another job and can't pay your mortgage. The bank sees you can't make payments and it isn't just because you're a bum spending money on booze and clothes instead of paying your obligations. Thus, they allow you to do a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. You know you can't pay and so does the bank. You saving them the expense of the foreclosure process is what the bank gets out of it. Turn over the keys and walk away without a foreclosure on your credit. Both sides win and lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs