U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM

112 posts, read 89,268 times

Advertisements

I have a family member who's house is going to sheriff sale, we know its gone, we are filing for 2 x 2 week extensions. I know after that the new owner files for an "out by date". Does anyone know if there is a standard amount of time for this, like 30 days, 60 days. Not trying to save it, just get an idea how much time we have to move the stuff out. If it's state by state, this is NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 PM

245 posts, read 150,211 times
Google result: How long can you stay in a NJ home after foreclosure? Can Bank Evict?

It looks like 10 days + roughly a month to gain eviction order + 10 days (eviction posted on the door) until the sheriff comes back and will forcibly remove the occupants from the house.

So, just under 2 months. But really, it's just over a month before it starts getting really embarrassing. They can avoid that by leaving within 10 days of sale, so the new owner doesn't have to evict.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM

TX, very helpful info.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Might seem like a silly question, but if you leave anything behind the new owners just keep / sell / trash that stuff but you don't get penalized for it at all.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,499,039 times
I'm going to say "you" for your family member because it makes it less confusing than saying "them" for both parties.

If you inform them that you are out and give them the keys, there really isn't anything they can do for recourse. I mean, I guess they could sue you in small claims, but it would have to be left pretty bad for that to be worth it, and most people are going to assume that if the house was foreclosed on, you don't have anything to pay anyway.

Don't let it get to the eviction point. Even having an eviction filed against you will SEVERELY hurt your ability to rent anything in the future. Most landlord consider an eviction as an automatic decline, and don't even look further.

I think most people who buy a foreclosure expect to have to do work to get it move in ready. But if you just walk away and don't let them know (I would suggest in writing) you have vacated, then they can still file for eviction, and legally may even have to do so to gain possession.

Idaho is also 10 days, and we have been through this process a few times as buyer, including one time having the sheriff show up (in full riot gear, no less) with moving trucks to forcibly remove a former owner, after going through the entire eviction process.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Thank you @Lacerta for the information. To clarify a little, this isn't so much a dire situation of a wrecked house or tenants not willing to leave. It's a little old lady who fell behind on taxes and where she's moving simply doesn't have the room for an entire house of stuff (furniture/old belongings / etc..). Obviously estate sales / storage units are all on the table but time is now a factor. I'm not really running the show or I'd have everything out in a weekend I'm just gathering some information on the worst case scenario's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or