Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

I wasn't looking to buy in a foreclosure, but I did look at some homes that had renters living there. Did I feel bad that they were renting and would have to move out if I bought? A little bit, but mostly no, I needed a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM

50,793 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I wasn't looking to buy in a foreclosure, but I did look at some homes that had renters living there. Did I feel bad that they were renting and would have to move out if I bought? A little bit, but mostly no, I needed a place to live.
I think it's different with renters than the person whose dream that home was once. Renters are well aware their digs may be temporary.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's different with renters than the person whose dream that home was once. Renters are well aware their digs may be temporary.
It is different, but they know they have to move to and they may have not paid their mortgage for 2 years of more before they are foreclosed on so if they are smart they saved a lot of money for their next place to live. I almost bought a home where the renters were a couple with small kids, I think they sabotaged the sale and the appraiser who was their same ethnicity came in with a low appraisal and would not budge when challenged and the deal fell thru. So I had to endure 3 more months of torture with roommates but in the end it worked out because I found a better home in a better area.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I’m just an observer/renter, who will buy a house later on but this is a very enlightening thread on foreclosures. Thanks for the input everyone, I never knew about this side of real estate. It’s crazy what some bitter people have done to their property.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 PM

143 posts, read 218,068 times
When I was looking to move, I looked at a foreclosure where the previous owners poorly maintained the house and took all the appliances. They also left a wig on top of the chandelier in the two-story entryway lol. Those people I did not feel bad for. I also looked at a large, nicely maintained short sale that a family with young children was still living in, and those people I did feel bad for.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Thank you.

The majority of bankruptcies in this country are due to medical bills. It is a disgrace.
What about all the bankruptcies, foreclosures, and short sales that happened right around 2009? Was there a sudden plague or a rash of nasty injuries not covered by any health insurance????

I was in Phoenix in 2007-2011 and I saw plenty of people making bad decisions simply because the lenders wanted to make a quick sale.

One lady a few doors down was a mortgage broker herself, and one day she was just gone, packed up and hauled out of there in one weekend, leaving a half-built swimming pool that had rain water and became infested with mosquitoes. We threw a few mosquito pucks over the fence, and called the city, who eventually came out and put these larva-eating fish in the pool. That house lay vacant for months, maybe years. Do I sympathize? No.

We ourselves were faced with a dilemma -- I couldn't find work, and finally got a job out of state. The house was very under water at that point and could not be sold. Friends told us to do a short sale, just walk away from the mortgage. My wife tried to argue for that as well.

But I said hell no! I put a lot of money and time into that house and was not about to walk away. I found a management agency that rented it out to a solid tenant who has been there ever since and takes good care of the property. I take a slight loss every month because property taxes have risen, but I have never raised the rent in 7 years and don't plan to, until she moves out.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

But I said hell no! I put a lot of money and time into that house and was not about to walk away. I found a management agency that rented it out to a solid tenant who has been there ever since and takes good care of the property. I take a slight loss every month because property taxes have risen, but I have never raised the rent in 7 years and don't plan to, until she moves out.
That was smart, you had someone else paying the mortgage and you should not be underwater any longer since most areas have gone back to the pre housing bubble problem values.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That was smart, you had someone else paying the mortgage and you should not be underwater any longer since most areas have gone back to the pre housing bubble problem values.
Thanks, and yes the house has now risen back to nearly what we paid for it (according to Zillow) after being down around half what we paid!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

50,793 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Thanks, and yes the house has now risen back to nearly what we paid for it (according to Zillow) after being down around half what we paid!
I don't know how accurate Zillow is. We bought a home recently for $100,000 that was listed for $96,000 (foreclosure), and all the while Zillow said it was valued at $243,000. It still says that when I click on "owner dashboard". But if you look at the area, there are very few homes that actually sold for above $200,000. I would like to know how accurate it is.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know how accurate Zillow is. We bought a home recently for $100,000 that was listed for $96,000 (foreclosure), and all the while Zillow said it was valued at $243,000. It still says that when I click on "owner dashboard". But if you look at the area, there are very few homes that actually sold for above $200,000. I would like to know how accurate it is.
It's not accurate, it's a guess by an algorithm with no idea how the inside of the house is, so it can be falling apart and Zillow may estimate it the same as the neighbor's nice home.

On Realtor.com mine is pretty accurate, but it's because it's based on the purchase price 2 years ago plus market appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs