Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,289,378 times

Advertisements

We're seeing more and more listings with lower prices but, at the bottom you often see "subject to lender approval." So, obviously these are short sales.

My question is: have the listing agents already talked to the lenders about these prices and have some kind of preliminary approval?

Or ... are these prices basically meaningless where the agent is trying to get some nibbles and hope that the lender will eventually go along with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,763,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
We're seeing more and more listings with lower prices but, at the bottom you often see "subject to lender approval." So, obviously these are short sales.

My question is: have the listing agents already talked to the lenders about these prices and have some kind of preliminary approval?

Or ... are these prices basically meaningless where the agent is trying to get some nibbles and hope that the lender will eventually go along with it?
Most lenders won't do anything without an offer. I would not pay any attention to the listed price. I would look at the condition of the property, evaluate the neighborhood, check the comps, and determine what I am willing to pay for the home, and make my offer based on that. The offer may be at or below the offer price.

You can have your agent ask the listing agent how they arrived at the listed price.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,270,164 times
Lenders want the agents to bring in offers. Agents will lower the price to something guaranteed to bring in offers. Absolutely no guarantee that a lender will accept the listed price.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,587,752 times
IMO, short sale listings are contributing to driving down prices. For example, in one condo community, there are 29 units for sale and only 9 are traditional re-sales. Agents keep lowering prices to solicit offers. It's almost like a closed bid auction. And, for the most part, it's not working.

The Florida Association of Realtors have now issued short sale addendums for both buyers and sellers, and MID-Florida MLS has implemented required wording for broker compensation. It's not perfect, but at least it helps.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-07-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,662,171 times
There are not that many foreclosures/ short sales in my area and so when there are, I like to follow the listing trail. In most cases, such homes begin as FSBO/MLS listings with prices seriously inconsistent with the market. It appears that the owners feel entitled to make a nice profit, even when they are defaulting on their 100% loans.

They do not sell and either relist with short sale potential or are foreclosed and bank-owned. The strategy that is most typically used is to price it to a point that it encourages multiple bids.

All things considered, when they do sell, the prices are rarely terrific bargains.

I am sure in areas where there are a lot of potential short sales and foreclosures, their is money in the streets. Right now, the relo company -owned homes are usually the best values in my area and impossible to compete with.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:16 PM

10,952 posts, read 21,942,950 times
It depends on a case to case basis. Some Realtors are clueless on them but the knowledgeable price them to get an offer immediately. Gotta have an offer before the banks look at the file.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM

2,629 posts, read 7,417,076 times
In the main city of my market, about 1 of 10 condos are short sales and about 8% of all single family homes are short sales.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,889,033 times
As Brandon has said, it depends on the bank and the agent. Most of the pricing is 'made up', pulled out of thin air. Some of the listings will be pre-approved by the bank pricing. Those agents either have a good working relationship with the bank or have submitted an offer to the bank already to find out what they would actually accept. They've either done it with a 'straw' contract or they have submitted a HUD1 with the owners short sale package.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM

27,207 posts, read 46,684,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post

I saw a home that was closed on with the builder for over $ 300K. The listing was for $ 150K (short sale was stated). Months later we saw the same listing showing up again on realtor.com but at that time for $180K, so we think the bank denied the $ 150K or even lower offer and the bank might have told them that the want $ 180K. This was a couple of months ago and I haven't looked at that listing again. The neighborhood is in the middle of nowhere and there were great plans of building shops and other communities in the near future but with this housing market, that can take years before shops and more homes will be build in that area, so prices in that community fell drasticly since homes were build in '06 and most people had ARM that will reset. Too bad since the homes look great but IMO it will be an area with more trouble to come like in many areas in the Tampa area where homes were build in '05 and '06.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,778 times
Short sale listing without the lenders preapproval of the price are certainly unethical, and should be illegal. This practice is driving down appraisal values because now lenders want to know what comparables are listed for--whether they have bank approval or not, and this has the effect of driving down prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs