U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM

88 posts, read 167,122 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical question:

Will putting down 25% downpayment (no contingencies except home inspection) on a shortsale make my offer more desirable than another offer which is higher (about 3% higher with 20% (or less) downpayment, same contingencies) to a bank/investor?

In other words, does the amount of the downpayment weigh into the equation when determining if an offer is accepted?

Last edited by housewatcher; 04-28-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: ... with 20% (or less)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM

15,632 posts, read 20,759,203 times
it does show you are serious. I have heard many different senario's. I closed on a short sale 2 months ago and only paid $ 1,000- as a deposit since I don't want my money tied up for a very long time. I did a 100% cash deal and that was enough to close the deal. I've heard many short sale deals are not going to go through since many can't obtain the mortgage althouth they have been pre approved.
I have even heard of a realtor who made an higher offer than another realtor on a short sale and the lower offer was excepted. Both were mortgage deals and both could close at the same time. (according to the realtor with the higher bid, she thought there was something else going on.......?)

Old 04-28-2008, 01:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,235,368 times
The amount of a downpayment you have does play a factor. But to an anonymous lender it may just mean you had that amount stuffed in a mattress somewhere. They're looking at the overall picture. Are your qualified to close the deal, follow through to the end? What are the particulars of each offer, closing dates, contingencies and so on. That's what they're more concerned with.

The smoother it looks to them, the better chances you have to bring them to your side.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:05 PM

12,647 posts, read 9,033,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housewatcher View Post
Hypothetical question:

Will putting down 25% downpayment (no contingencies except home inspection) on a shortsale make my offer more desirable than another offer which is higher (about 3% higher with 20% (or less) downpayment, same contingencies) to a bank/investor?

In other words, does the amount of the downpayment weigh into the equation when determining if an offer is accepted?
Yes. One of the criteria the Bank will place particular weight on is the commitment in cash of the buyer. If all things are equal (credit-worthiness, time to close, etc.) among competing contracts, then your down-payment should carry additional weight among all of the contracts.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Thank you for the information!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM

110 posts, read 331,637 times
I'm confused. Is that 25% of your offer in earnest money?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM

No, the earnest money is one thing. I'm referring to the downpayment on the mortgage.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 475 times
I am planing in a short sale,but putting just 5% as a downpayment. And an offer of just 80% of the property value. This is because the properties are depreciating everywhere, so I will not lose money if I want to sale it in a few years. The asking price is 250,000.00, and according to my data is worth less. Just as a reminder, the investors will have more than their cut with just 80%. In a short sale or foreclosure, I don't think they lose because the insurance pays 20% of the loa if default. If I cannot get it this way, I will not be confident that a short sale is worth to get.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 AM

4,702 posts, read 2,326,289 times
I don't know about depreciating. not in central Fl- just signing my check today for escrow, ai am praying the bank will accept my offer and properties are climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs