Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times

Advertisements

At what % of the list price do these usually sell at? Is there much negotiation room, do they sell at list or possibly even higher? I realize it depends on the home and location, just trying to get a general idea.

Is there a lengthy wait like short sales?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
I don't think there are any concrete numbers on % of list.
I have seen some go at list and others at 15% under.
Some banks will lower the list by 5% a week til it sells.

As far as negotiation it all depends on your motivation.
If you find a house you like but could live with out it and there are similar homes around you can lowball and see what happens.
If it is the only foreclosure in the area and it is 25% below everything else you could lose it to someone else if you try and play too many games.
The wait is no where near what most short sales are these days.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
There really isn't a magic formula as each one has different problems associated with it. How much the bank has in it, how long it's been on the market, what kind of offers, what are the particulars of the offer, endless.

I've seen the bank come back with counters over asking price because the buyer wanted seller assist. On the other hand, I've seen them take much less because the buyer offered cash and a no inspections close. It almost comes down to a staring contest, who blinks first.

Line up all your ducks before you wade in. Get pre-approved or have your cash in one spot. Be prepared for things like a five day window for any inspections you need, a thirty day or less close from the date of acceptance. Some lenders require you fill out a loan application with them to even consider your offer although you're under no further obligation. Make your offer no more than 10% off current asking price and be prepared for a counteroffer.

One other thing that needs to get passed around more. If the home can't be lived in, chances are excellent that no lender will provide you with a loan. This has happened a good bit around our area recently. Vandals steal the copper, no plumbing, no loan regardless of sale price versus actual value. However, if your credit situation is good enough, you might get an FHA 203K rehab loan. You need at least a 620 score to qualify.

Know your market, do some research. You'll be better prepared to spot a deal when it comes along. And they do come along.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Sorry, can't even ballpark that for you. It's all over the place, varies by bank, location, price range, etc.

It can be lengthy wait but not normally as bad a short sale. Figure 45 day close best case, expect 60 days.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
I have seen bank owned homes now advertising: "will receive answer from the bank within 5 days." I guess that is becoming the norm here so people who are interested will make an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs