Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,419,142 times

Advertisements

Am I just a bleeding heart, or does anyone else think that people who are rushing to buy foreclosed homes are preying on the misfortune of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM

573 posts, read 1,685,100 times
I'm buying a foreclosed home. I don't feel bad....but the bank has owned it for two years, so maybe it's different. Sure, I'd have a tug of emotion if I had to see people packing and moving out. But the way I see it, it's a business deal. No emotions in business deals. At least, I try.
:-)

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM

710 posts, read 1,954,949 times
I don't really think it's preying unless the buyer does something to try to speed along the foreclosure, which seems unlikely.

It is a sad situation but things have to keep moving. Houses have to find new owners, you know? Otherwise it's just too depressing to contemplate.

I would not have trouble buying a foreclosure home (we almost did it 3 years ago but changed our minds because of the location and all the damage), although I did feel bad for the people whose lives had a horrible turn leading to the foreclosure. They were long gone by the time we heard of the house, though. Apparently their teenage son had had a fatal auto accident and it broke up the family. Now THAT is just terribly sad.

On the other hand, I think I would have a hard time buying an engagement ring/wedding band at a pawn shop. That would really REALLY bug me. I think a combination of taking advantage of someone's misfortune and really bad juju?

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,870,470 times
It's purely business. Too bad the owner overextended themselves and let it go into foreclosure. You're actually doing the neighborhood, the economy and all involved a favor by getting it off the market.

A home needs to be lived in or it starts to go down hill fast.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,553,733 times
I just looked at a bankowned house and was shocked to what I saw. The realtor told me it was in "good" condition but it seems that we haven't got the same level of "good". There were holes in the wall, drawings on the wall (drawings of handgranates!, how earth was hell, etc) and horrible colors very bright so the whole houses needed to be painted (realtor stated that it was move in ready! Title that didn't fit witht he kitchen cabinets or bathroom vanities and the carpet was ugly, cheap and dirty. The power was not yet working as she told me but it was ordered to be turned on so inspections could be done. There is a lot of interest since it is top location and I thought a very good price, but not after I saw it since it will cost a lot to fix it and IMo only worth when you want to live there or can do much yourself or if you don't care living like that. Close to me a bankowned went for a little bit more but from the inside was looking great except for all the appliances being taken out.

IMO the people who have lived there behaved like they were mad and couldn't handle it,but nobody forced them to take a mortgage that was $ 50 K more than what they closed for and IMO their own mistake and this is purely business and the people responsible for this trash should be held responsible.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,556,156 times
By the time you are buying a foreclosure the old owners are long gone.

I just closed on 2. One a friend of mine bought and the other we are fixing up to flip.

They are great bargains for those looking for a home right now and not all of them are trashed.

The one my friend bought was move in ready except for the lawn and it only took him a day to remedy that.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,197,286 times
I guess if you were in the mortgage business and set the people up for failure, then pounced in to snap up their houses, then yep, it's sleazy.

However, like many others have said, it's really just business.

I bet not many people feel bad about taking a huge profit when they bought at the right time and the market went through the roof.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 PM

252 posts, read 766,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Am I just a bleeding heart, or does anyone else think that people who are rushing to buy foreclosed homes are preying on the misfortune of others?
Would you prefer that nobody buy a foreclosed home, and that it just sit for months/years? What good would that do?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,740,689 times
It's all wood, concrete, glass and copper. Whether it's foreclosed or not doesn't matter to me. What it all comes down to is a business decision.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 AM

148 posts, read 639,059 times
Default Just watch out for the haunted ones..

I don't think it's preying on other's misfortune, but like Wordy said, sometimes it feels like bad juju. A long time ago (well, about 6 years ago) we were looking for a home and looked at one house we knew was a foreclosure. The previous owner was apparently an artist, and she had hand-painted murals and decorative details ALL OVER the house. I kid you not, there was no wall or cabinet left untouched. Walking through, it felt like their spirit was still there (and said spirit was peeved) and it was just creepy. I thought I'd never buy a foreclosed home. (For the record, I also try to avoid old-people-just-died-here homes. Can never seem to get rid of the smell! )

Anyway... just closed on a REO last week. House feels completely different and no bad juju. Feels like it was meant to be MINE.

Bonus: the rest of the neighborhood is happy because we'll make the 6 ft tall dandelions go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs