Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM

315 posts, read 349,472 times

Advertisements

Stick to your market that you know. This entire neighborhood is approx a 4 year old community. That's just how they build houses out our way, within arm length of each other. Chuck knows. He lives in one too like me. I have a nice big landscaped yard oasis though.

here is another one. This home is another big-un. It is 4148 sq/ft and also has 5 beds and 4.5 baths. This one is still in diapers at just over one year old. It was bought in Feb 2007 for $660k and it's already gone back to the bank. It's currently listed for $385k. Now don't get too excited the previous owners did take a few of the kitchen cabinets. Doesn't look that bad though, probably $5k to replace the missing cabinets.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/jvazjr/2.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Well, I would think one of the things buyers are also looking at is months of inventory (MOI). With the mass amounts of foreclosures in the market, MOI has slowly creeped up even with a growth in sales.

Likewise, median prices have dropped up to 50-60+% in some areas because of these sales. But, what exactly constitutes this mass surge of inventory may surprise a lot of you. Foreclosures might be deeply discounted... but most aren't nearly in shape to be considered a "dream" home. A house that looks good on paper... might end up looking like:

Houses in subprime shape lead price charge down - Aug. 22, 2008

In the end, blocks of these rundown, unlivable, dilapidated lots might just end up bulldozed or refurbished by cities for affordable housing. When that happens, we'll see how inventory numbers and median prices go.

-chuck22b
I know top buyers are HOPING these house are bulldozed down to reduce inventory, but it just shows the lack of imagination. That home makes a good meth lab, adult entertainment parlor, slum rental, etc. Townships, as they get increasingly desperate for tax revenue, may loosen some of the regulations associated with homeownership. House borderline condemned? No problem! Better some property tax money than none.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/jvazjr/K08119768_2_0.jpg (broken link)not too bad?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM

14715 Rick Ln, Corona, CA 92880 | $385,000 | Corona Real Estate | K08119768

Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
not too bad?
Something's missing... where are the cabinets??

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM

That's what I said up above. The only damage was some missing cabinets. What? 3-5k to replace? My point is a 1 year old home over 4000 sq ft for the price some people have recently paid for a condo in the Preserve. And both communities are within a couple miles of each other. WOW!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I know top buyers are HOPING these house are bulldozed down to reduce inventory, but it just shows the lack of imagination. That home makes a good meth lab, adult entertainment parlor, slum rental, etc. Townships, as they get increasingly desperate for tax revenue, may loosen some of the regulations associated with homeownership. House borderline condemned? No problem! Better some property tax money than none.
It's really not HOPING, it's actually happening.

Crosscut Seattle - Turning foreclosures into affordable housing

"For cities with shrinking populations, like Cleveland and Detroit, officials are also demolishing run-down homes, turning the land into small parks, side yards, and refurbished homes. Boston not only fixes up the foreclosed homes it buys at a bargain, but also beefs up street cleaning and police patrols in the targeted neighborhoods. Michigan is land-banking thousands of properties, gradually selling them to developers or finding other uses for the land."

And most of this has happened pre-housing bill. Once the cities and munis receive the millions from the housing fund, there will be more cases of cities refurbishing/demolishing foreclosed homes. Especially the foreclosures/properties that no body wants to buy even at steep discounts.

-chuck22b

Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
That's what I said up above. The only damage was some missing cabinets. What? 3-5k to replace? My point is a 1 year old home over 4000 sq ft for the price some people have recently paid for a condo in the Preserve. And both communities are within a couple miles of each other. WOW!
That's just the kitchen... and only what can be seen in that picture... if the previous owner did that to just the kitchen, I can't imagine what happened to the rest of the house.

The foreclosures we saw had holes in the wall, fixtures ripped out, mirrors busted, nails shot throughout (i guess they had fun with a nail gun), water damage, and basically felt like a scene from a serial killers house in silent of the lambs kind of thing. Not to mention... the smell.

Not to say the least, my sister and I booked the h@ll out of all of the homes we saw in that shape. We felt dirty... and had the chills. It's creepy and sad what happened in those homes.

-chuck22b

Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
It's really not HOPING, it's actually happening.

Crosscut Seattle - Turning foreclosures into affordable housing

"For cities with shrinking populations, like Cleveland and Detroit, officials are also demolishing run-down homes, turning the land into small parks, side yards, and refurbished homes. Boston not only fixes up the foreclosed homes it buys at a bargain, but also beefs up street cleaning and police patrols in the targeted neighborhoods. Michigan is land-banking thousands of properties, gradually selling them to developers or finding other uses for the land."

And most of this has happened pre-housing bill. Once the cities and munis receive the millions from the housing fund, there will be more cases of cities refurbishing/demolishing foreclosed homes. Especially the foreclosures/properties that no body wants to buy even at steep discounts.

-chuck22b
Then there's this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/bu...gewanted=print

Basically, this family reduced their cost from 3,400 to 1,200 by simply walking away then renting and got a bigger house out of the deal. Guess the tax benefit and the "warm fuzzies" of homeownership don't really compute well on this transaction . I'm sure the neighbors aren't far behind him.

So, basically, a market will likely begin with investors buying these REO foreclosures and renting them either to their former "owners", or to other people who are foreclosed on. No one is going to be homeless.

These houses won't be bulldozed for the most part. It costs money to do so (which the city will be short of in the coming months/years), and to remove the debris. It's much more profitable (less loss really) to sell the house for 10 cents on the dollar on the existing mortgage.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM

'That's just the kitchen... and only what can be seen in that picture... if the previous owner did that to just the kitchen, I can't imagine what happened to the rest of the house.'

I checked that one out myself during lunch because even I a 'doom and gloomer' sees the opportunity. that was the only damage. I think the stereotype of the gutted out foreclosure is just that, a stereotype. Not all that walked away are bad people Chuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs