Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Wow I'd love to have that job. I'd sell all the small stuff (like clothes) on ebay.

As for everything else, you could just post an ad on craigslist and you'd probably get 5-10 people show up with their trucks that day to take all the furniture, computers etc.

That is what I did with my old table. The next day it was gone. No need to call a garbage man or pay any fees. One little ad on craigslist and someone picks it up for you, for free. I recommend everyone to do that if they need to get rid of some garbage.
They are doing 16 houses a day.
Under contract to be out and clean by the end of the day.
I think that volume would make it difficult to handle items individually, but it would seem like there should be a way to handle stuff with less waste.

One of the saddest items was an urn with cremains in it. They did NOT trash that, but imagine the state of mind that leaves that urn, personal photos, full computer systems, and vacates with shirts on backs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:30 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,466,260 times
That video is one of the saddest things I have seen.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
I posted this comment yesterday at the site where the video is located but I feel it bears re-posting here.

Not every preservation company operates in the same manner. We do trashouts on a routine basis in order for the banks & listing agents to put these foreclosed homes on the market.

We donate everything we possibly can and do this for a couple of reasons.

One, there is likely to be someone out there who can use what was left behind. Look at the fire victims right now who are having to start from scratch because they lost everything in the fires. All of their hopes and dreams are in ashes now and they will need to replace at least the basics.

We donate in every way we can possibly think of from baby furniture, clothing, toys, and tools right down to pots, pans, linens, and small appliances that are in working condition.

Two, we do have to take the real trash to the dump. Every time we go, we see a steady stream of other preservation vendors lining up with their trucks full. Southern California's landfills are filling up and some are closing down because they've reached their capacity. We add as little as we can to the landfills.

There is no way to change the fact that trashouts are necessary to the real estate industry.

But by utilizing the services of conscientous preservation companies and encouraging homeowners, who have been foreclosed on, to take their valuables with maybe them will we see an end to the waste. [or, as someone suggested, donate what they can to charity and put the rest at the curb before they leave. It's surprising what people will take from the curb.]

Unfortunately, many of those homeowners cannot even afford a moving truck by the time they leave their homes.

It's amazing what people leave behind. But if anyone truly has a need for something, just let me know. I believe my e-mail address will show up in this post, along with my comment.

BTW ~ We DO NOT make a profit off of the usable items. My conscience would never allow it. I don't have the storage space for yard sales and, frankly, can't stand sitting around all day haggling with people over a buck. Trash goes to the dump, usable items go to charity.

We have, on two occasions, had a Salvation Army truck show up at a trashout. They are limited, however, in what they will take. Baby furniture is NOT something they will take due to issues of liability for child endangerment reasons due to faulty, broken, or missing parts.

If anyone can provide me with charitable foundations willing to schedule pickups, I'd be happy to donate anything in good condition. I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Linda

Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,828,163 times
edited after reading Linda's post above. she addressed everying I would say rather well.

anyway, this just made me terribly sad.

Shelly

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

620 posts, read 1,948,794 times
Thanks for sharing this link. It really is sad for EVERYONE involved. It seems like it touched even the workers( like the guy talking about the dolls and toys found).

I guess if you do not live in areas that have been affected it is hard to understand. Where I just left in South Carolina and here where I am in Ohio it has not been bad. This put things into perspective.

Sad is all I can say.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
I would like to know where could we go to buy some of this stuff when a house goes out in forclosure curious in copperas cove

Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 AM

503 posts, read 1,451,135 times
I hate seeing so much waste. I hate seeing people losing their homes.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM

25 posts, read 59,726 times
There's money to be had there... hire a truck and follow the trashout crew and have them throw stuff onto your truck instead of the dumpster. It helps them, as mentioned in the video it reduces their landfill charges, but people could walk away with awesome stuff it seems. Even if the resale is low, it'd cover the cost of your truck and then some. In fact, I'm surprised the trashout crew don't do it themselves, have a "good" truck and the dumpster. Warehouse the stuff and have massive sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs