U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM

99 posts, read 335,300 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Like the topic reads, can I make multiple offers if the properties I made an offer on are short sale properties?

thank you much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 31,653,769 times
It depends on the terms of the short sale contract that you signed.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM

182 posts, read 481,196 times
It would be best to cancel your first offer. But I have heard the rumor that because of the unique stresses that come with short sales, you can back out of a short sale at any point before the bank accepts your offer. However, while many people frown on this, if the bank accepts your offer, perhaps you can use the home inspection to back out.

I would just cancel the first offer if you really want the second house more. I am curious to see what other people think, however.

Jenn :O)

Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Typically what buyers do is continue to house hunt when they have an offer on a short sale and if they find something else they like they revoke the short sale offer. It just depends on what your contracts allow.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM

99 posts, read 335,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Typically what buyers do is continue to house hunt when they have an offer on a short sale and if they find something else they like they revoke the short sale offer. It just depends on what your contracts allow.
Should the contract specifically spell out that you CAN back out, or should it specifically spell out that you CANNOT back out?

I'm trying to figure out what is the assumed, if the contract doesn't mention anything about backing out.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM

You should have a clause in there that states that the buyer can revoke the offer (for no reason) up until the buyer has been notified of the lender's acceptance of the seller short.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM

2,249 posts, read 7,908,350 times
Nothing is 'assumed'. It's a contract. A short sale contract should have a short sale addendum attached to it or clauses inside the contract addressing the short sale situations and it's terms.
As stated above... it depends on what your contract states. It also would be advisable not to put up any escrow funds if you're going to do more than one short sale contract at a time.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM

7,089 posts, read 16,957,585 times
If it's not accepted yet, it's not a "contract", it's only an "offer". You can back out of an offer at any time. Just send notification of the termination of your "offer". If it's a "contract", why are you still looking at more houses?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If it's not accepted yet, it's not a "contract", it's only an "offer". You can back out of an offer at any time. Just send notification of the termination of your "offer". If it's a "contract", why are you still looking at more houses?
In Oregon our short sales contracts are executed contracts. It is signed by the seller so it is executed. This only works for non-executed contracts. Even with an executed contract we still look.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM

280 posts, read 895,184 times
In VA the seller signed every offer immediately (the 90 day wait was for the bank) so I guess they were executed too.

My agent had my earnest money in escrow, and I was able to make offers on a lot of properties (I had 5 at one point).

Apparently in our area this is common. It would be so much better if the process were sped up so you could do one at a time, but failing that, waiting 90 days to hear that you were outbid (as I was almost every time) seems inefficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs