U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM

10,799 posts, read 17,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I think the original poster was referring to COMPARABLES, not COMPETITION. I don't think you should have to use a forclosed or short-sale transaction to base your selling price.
You shouldn't have to, but if you want to sell you might have to...if that's all that is selling in the market place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 PM

280 posts, read 633,835 times
It may depend upon the neighborhood, but if it is mostly foreclosures selling, then they have to be comps, don't they? All else equal (size, condition, upgrades), why would buyers view them differently based upon who owns them?

In neighborhoods that are not dominated by foreclosures, it may be possible to write off the odd few as a separate category, as long as regular sales are happening too. But in the built-in-2005 neighborhoods that are largely distress sales, that's what's setting the precedent.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,869,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieP View Post
Two realtors told us no... they are not your competition because people who are looking to purchase short sales and foreclosures are generally not the same people who need to buy a house ASAP.

But it seems buyer's agents are telling their clients yes. If there is a foreclosure in your neighborhood - even if location is absolutely the only similarity between it and your house, it can be included in comps.

Realtors, which is it??
I can tell you as a buyer that's not true in our area. I looked both short sale and traditional listings while searching. My research on short sales actually help me to spot great "traditional" listings (those who undercut even the short sale listings). I see lenders' appraisers using short sales as comps. Then how do you think a buyer that ignores short sale would get financed? A cash buyer is something else..

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,533,899 times
Both short sales and forclosures ARE used as comps when putting the house on the market.
You can put your house on the market for whatever you want,but the market will decide what it will actually sell for and in today's market, if a person sees a property that is $100K less than yours because it is a forclosure, they are at least going to look at that property.
We have a house on the market right now,has been on for almost a year now and there are many,many forclosures in our neighborhood we are selling in (thank the good old banks for giving people loans for homes they coudln't really afford) and we will have to use all of those forclosures as comps to our home,regardless.

The only positive thing as a seller of a non-foreclosure is that these types of sales take a long time and your potential buyers may not want that hassel.

Good Luck,but yes,they will be used as comps and any agent that tells you otherwise I would question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs