Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 24,592 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] H[/SIZE][SIZE=3]i, I am in a process of purchasing a foreclosure home in orange county, California. I would like to check if the title is clear. I went to the county website and only find the tax information without owner’s name or address. Is there any way that I can find out the information?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Contact a local title company. They will be able to research the title and issue title insurance (if poss).

Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
I would call the Orange County Recorder's office. The one in my county (Ventura) is very helpful.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,592 times
Just did. They said if I dont know the owner's name, I would need a title company to do the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I would call the Orange County Recorder's office. The one in my county (Ventura) is very helpful.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaomaggie View Post
Just did. They said if I dont know the owner's name, I would need a title company to do the search.
Oops....

I assume calling a title company to do it is going to require money. Perhaps not for a full title insurance policy but to have them look it up. Maybe a small fee.

But I am very curious on how this goes.

The deeds (which are indexed by property address) should have the owner's name on it, right? Any liens, etc, are indexed by name so you would then use the name you found on the deed to check.

A real question I have is, does a title company have access to more recorded information than an individual?

Like i said, i am curious, maybe I am going about this all wrong.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
I work with a lot of investors and have to research title b/4 the auction. The title company that I use in Dallas charges $80 to do a title search. That's peanuts...

It can't be that much more in CA.

Naima

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM

164 posts, read 515,622 times
Ask the title company to give you an "O & E Report" (owners and encumbrances). This is cheaper than having them do a 40 year title search which is the procedure when the company will issue a title commitment.

Title companies may have more info about recorded documents than individuals only because title-related data is now supplied on an electronic subscription basis. But individuals should be able to get all of the same data for free by going to the County Recorders and requesting a clerk's assistance. The clerk can locate the relevant documents for you but will not interpret them or give you legal advice.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
If you're already under contract on the property, you will be getting a preliminary title report soon. It will show all easements, encumbrances, and vesting information.

It's part of the deal, ask your agent when you should expect it.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
WHO IS SELLING THIS HOME?

If you are buying from the LENDER as the foreclosure process is complete it is THEIR OBLIGATION to deliver the home with clear title.

If you are buying from the COURT ORDERED liquidation things are much different.

Don't waste your time or money with a title search that your lender will already have done if you are buying a REO.

If you are buying at court ordered liquidation and you are asking questions here, things look grim...

Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 PM

52 posts, read 201,144 times
I beg to differ, we are buying a REO and the lender apparently did not do a title search. Our attorney did, and we did find an issue. We have delayed the closing to try to cure the defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
WHO IS SELLING THIS HOME?

If you are buying from the LENDER as the foreclosure process is complete it is THEIR OBLIGATION to deliver the home with clear title.

If you are buying from the COURT ORDERED liquidation things are much different.

Don't waste your time or money with a title search that your lender will already have done if you are buying a REO.

If you are buying at court ordered liquidation and you are asking questions here, things look grim...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs