Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times

Advertisements

A co-worker is in the process of buying a home. He's now past the deadline and being charged extended fees even though the reason he hasn't closed is entirely the seller's fault - they did things to mess up the house that he then had to fix in order to get closed, and he's still working on it this coming week.

He's of the opinion that banks are buying up homes, holding onto them to inflate values, and then selling them, in collusion with the appraiser to charge more money.

I'd like to know people's experiences on this issue. Buying a house is in my forthcoming plans, and I'd like to know what I'm up against. I was on the verge of buying a home up in Oceanside about two years ago but backed off due to a horrible broker. This time around I'll be empowered with better credit and a bank pre-approval going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

He's of the opinion that banks are buying up homes, holding onto them to inflate values, and then selling them, in collusion with the appraiser to charge more money.

I think your friend is overly paranoid. I'm not sure I'd call a foreclosure buying a home, but I guess that is a matter of perspective. It is true that the bank doesn't have to write off the loss of the asset until the time of sale so I do believe that some banks are staggering their losses into different quarters by holding and selling them at a steadier pace. I think this has less to do with inflating values than accounting purposes for them though.

The bank that owns the property has nothing to do with the appraisal. The lender that is going to lend on the property orders the appraisal through an AMC. So your friend honestly thinks that the 8,000+ banks in the US are colluding with the 100,000 or so appraisers out there? And who exactly is coordinating that?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Don't know. It stems from the fact that the bank apparently add their own points to the deal, which he questioned. It's been so long since I was in the hunt that I don't remember if the bank I was dealing with did the same thing or not.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Don't know. It stems from the fact that the bank apparently add their own points to the deal, which he questioned. It's been so long since I was in the hunt that I don't remember if the bank I was dealing with did the same thing or not.

Add their own points?

You mean the insanely long 12 page addendum that you have to sign?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Add their own points?

You mean the insanely long 12 page addendum that you have to sign?
This was after the fact. Somehow the extra points were added into the final deal when he was close to closing, but they were not accounted for during the initial document signing.

I don't have all of the facts on it. At this point I'm just curious of people's experiences with different sellers and trying to close on bank owned homes, to see if anyone's observed any strange price-related actions.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Since the foreclosure process Deflates values rather than Inflating them, the whole premise is off to a bad start. The longer they hold them, the lower the values generally go and the more it cost the bank in holding expenses. I am personally aware of a bank that loaned 80K on a property and foreclosed on it a year later. While the bank held it, the interest rates were 17-19% (yes this was in the 78-80 downturn) and had to do extensive repairs when vandals flooded the house with a waterhose in the AC ductwork. They spent over 30K in repairs and finally sold the properly for 69K. They sure made out on that deal! NOT!

The appraisers are independent and licensed by the state. I agree there is some influence, but nothing that cannot be justified by the comparables and objective data. There are a number of factors that can raise or lower a value and are completely subjective and are left to the judgment of the appraiser. If an appraiser knows the desired contract price, he can surely nudge the appraisal value toward that number, but only to a certain degree.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I want my money back. This was not an interesting theory.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I'm afraid I don't understand.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
This was after the fact. Somehow the extra points were added into the final deal when he was close to closing, but they were not accounted for during the initial document signing.

I don't have all of the facts on it. At this point I'm just curious of people's experiences with different sellers and trying to close on bank owned homes, to see if anyone's observed any strange price-related actions.

I've written up and closed numerous contracts for buyers in the past two years and there were no funny goings on. Points can't just be added at close and if he closed after Jan 1 this year then he got the new HUD form. Your friend needs to have his agent, his mortgage broker, or an attorney better explain what transpired because he sounds like he is missing a piece of information.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Since the foreclosure process Deflates values rather than Inflating them, the whole premise is off to a bad start. The longer they hold them, the lower the values generally go and the more it cost the bank in holding expenses. I am personally aware of a bank that loaned 80K on a property and foreclosed on it a year later. While the bank held it, the interest rates were 17-19% (yes this was in the 78-80 downturn) and had to do extensive repairs when vandals flooded the house with a waterhose in the AC ductwork. They spent over 30K in repairs and finally sold the properly for 69K. They sure made out on that deal! NOT!

The appraisers are independent and licensed by the state. I agree there is some influence, but nothing that cannot be justified by the comparables and objective data. There are a number of factors that can raise or lower a value and are completely subjective and are left to the judgment of the appraiser. If an appraiser knows the desired contract price, he can surely nudge the appraisal value toward that number, but only to a certain degree.
If they would just auction them off and get it over with............it would be a lot better, and there would be less community blight. Property taxes, asset management, and hoa could easily run over a 1000 per month, and that's if there is no vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs