U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,041,895 times

Advertisements

I had a similar situation here in south Texas. For as long as I could remember, I've always wanted to live out of the Rio Grande Valley, but with the snow of 2004 in Texas and a visit to Colorado in 2006, I started to make my plan to move. At first, i wanted to just visit every year for vacation, but my wife and I had a job that could be trasferred to Colorado, (something we didn't have before as we both had previously worked for a Texas only company). I did ALOT of research prior to dwindle it down to one state -Colorado, then I dwindled it to one city -Cañon City, it proved to small for us as a town, so then we decided on Pueblo. We decided to visit January 2006 (since every one down here says it's "too cold" up there [Colorado]). I said if I could handle the "worst" part of Colorado, the winter temps, I could enjoy everything else. It was no problem for me. So, I put a transfer request in 2008, but nothing was open for me. finally, a Raton, NM/ Trinidad, CO oppurtunity came up, but we said no. They offered Denver, but I was too afraid to try a big city, since ALL MY RESEARCH was for Pueblo and I had visited it and all. I had only gone to Denver to visit one day.

So nothing came up and I waited....and waited....until nothing. So I was so tired of Texas heat weather and wanted to move, I agreed to Denver and started to do research on THAT. I feel confident now that I learned so much, that Lakewood, CO will be my home come JULY 27TH!!!

But a few things, I learned. Be prepared. We also have NO family or friends up there, everything we love and know is here in South Texas. We had to sync up the move to BOTH had jobs lined up. Although my wife is the opposite, she doesn't REALLY want to move because of family, she's willing to "try" it.

But the main reason we moved now, (because so many times I nearly gave up!) was because it would always be in the back of my mind to think, "would we have made it?" I'd rather try and fail and say hey at least I tried because we can always move back home to family, then to say, "What if?" and look back at regrets. If you can look past what if?, then don't move. But if it'll always linger in the back of your mind, give it a shot, what do you have to lose. You can always go back to Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 AM

726 posts, read 1,862,973 times
I think you should give it a try. I can't believe you would be hesitating on $5000 per year (I'm guessing that's an excuse). It sounds like your wife is definitely all in on this one. What's the big deal? You move, if you don't like it you move back. I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a 30k job. People say the economy is really bad around here but I think it's just in comparison to what it used to be. I recently was job hunting because I hated where I was working, I got lots of job offers (all more than 30k) I have the same degree as you. I will say though my job hunt was in Denver/Boulder so that could be the difference. We moved here and the only regret we have is that we didn't do it sooner.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 AM

51 posts, read 93,558 times
choosing78,

What sorts of job offers were you getting? What did you end up taking? The fact that you have the same degree as me is interesting and I would like to hear more details of how things went for you. I'm definitely willing to consider the Denver area. The reason my wife didn't apply around there is because she heard Denver-area schools are struggling and making cuts so getting a job for her would have been more difficult. Can anyone shed light on that?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 AM

726 posts, read 1,862,973 times
I've worked in all sorts of fields since college so I have experience in a lot of fields. My last job I hated but was paying 60k so I was trying to get as close to that as possible which caused me to turn down offers that were around mid 30's. I was mostly applying for Office Managers/Accounting/HR/recruiting/customer service, etc. Pretty much anything that would offer a high quality of life. My last job involved nights/weekends and 50+ hours per week. If you have previous experience in colleges you should check CSU for jobs, they usually have postings. Another thing I did was focus on jobs that offered great benefit packages. Accepting a job that pretty much paid all health/dental and has a pension (yes they still exist) was a way to get by on less by saving about $120 a month in insurance premiums and cutting my 401k contribution. My new job (government work) is entry level but pays 40k (required a college degree 2 or 4 yr in anything OR 2-4 yrs exp in customer service, office work, accounting) but offers me a 4 day work week, great benefits and no holidays or weekends so I can enjoy beautiful Colorado! today we're going hiking, mountain biking, and having a picnic by a lake. Check out coloradojobs.com and the Colorado state government website.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,410,139 times
Personally, I would jump at the offer too. Of course, I have lived in Fort Collins before and I absolutely loved it! Your wife has a job offer with Poudre Valley Schools, which is really tough to get from what I hear. Having CSU and UNC, both teaching schools, right there makes it even more surprising that she got an offer living out of state. She obviously has some great teaching credentials! While you don't have a job lined up, it sounds like you have experience and are not needing a huge salary ($30K is pretty entry level in CO) so I would think you could find something. Just make sure you have some money saved up to survive on one salary for a few months while you're job hunting. I know this isn't the best economy to move and find a job, but I do think that it's possible, especially if you will have some income coming in. You should be able to find an affordable housing option temporarily until your income allows you to afford more.

With that said, I will say that moving away from friends & family is tough. I'm still struggling with my move. We made the move from CO to Bend, OR two years ago. Most of my family is still in CO and I miss being within a day's drive of visiting them. I don't have kids right now, but as we start our family, I see this becoming more difficult. We decided to leave CO (we weren't happy where we were in Grand Junction) and move closer to my sister-in-law and her husband. We've never lived close to them and really wanted it. Bend is an outdoor lover's paradise (like CO) and we felt that while we wouldn't have my family, we'd have the familiarity of mountains and pine trees and all that has to offer. Plus, we thought, we would still have some family with us. The first year was great. We explored, we played, we bought a house, etc. However, that novelty has worn off and I really miss my family and the weather of CO. However, I don't regret our move. We've made some great new friends, my husband has a great job, and we are exploring a part of the country we never really had a chance to do. Even if we do decide to move back to CO in a few years, it was still a good choice to move to OR for a while. So, if you're worried you will always wonder what if, I say just do it! You will never know until you try! You're young and I think it's important to find our place in the world. If you make a mistake, you'll know. But, you will never wonder what if.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaker79 View Post
I'm definitely willing to consider the Denver area. The reason my wife didn't apply around there is because she heard Denver-area schools are struggling and making cuts so getting a job for her would have been more difficult. Can anyone shed light on that?
There might be some truth to this, but it shouldn't discourage her from applying. I do know that my aunt left a tenured teaching position in CA to finally get back to CO. She managed to land a job in the Cherry Creek SD, which is one of the best in the country. However, after the first year, she was at risk of losing that job due to cutbacks. But, she prevailed. They did move her to a new grade, but she's still employed!

One thing I forgot to ask in my last post is whether her job offer in FC is a permanent position or temporary for the school year? I would make sure she has an answer to that one before you decide! Also, make sure she asks the hard questions like how confident they are that this position will be there in the next year. That can be a make or break deal.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
One thing I forgot to ask in my last post is whether her job offer in FC is a permanent position or temporary for the school year? I would make sure she has an answer to that one before you decide! Also, make sure she asks the hard questions like how confident they are that this position will be there in the next year. That can be a make or break deal.
Good question. The offer is for a one year position. Actually, both Poudre positions for which she had face-to-face interviews were one year positions. We didn't know this at the time and when we found out, we almost canceled the interviews. In talking to the principals, my wife became convinced that she would have some sort of position the following year. It's one of those cases where a teacher leaves their position for a year, they hire somebody new to fill the opening, and the teacher may or may not come back the following year. If they don't come back, the job becomes permanent. If they DO come back, she would have first crack at other positions in the district. But nothing is guaranteed, and that, among many other things, gives me pause. If I had difficulty finding a job in that first year and then my wife lost hers, we would be in serious trouble.

If we could do a one year experiment where we could keep our house back here and have the option of coming back to our jobs after a year, I could get behind this...look at it as an extended vacation that might turn permanent if things went well. But life doesn't work that way. You have to take risks in an attempt to better your life, but there's always the possibility you could end up worse off...and I am not a gambler by nature. For us to go to Colorado, we would have to give up everything in Ohio. Sure we could come back if it didn't work out, but we would be faced with rebuilding everything here. I think my regret and disappointment at having to do that might outweigh any regret I would feel at not taking a chance in the first place.

It's a tough decision and it's tearing me up. I don't feel completely at peace with either decision, but right now the thought of moving seems too much to handle...too much to sacrifice. If we did do this, it seems smart to do a lot more research and make sure we find the absolute perfect place for us. And we would probably be a lot better off if I could be the first one to get a job. I'm sure my wife would have no problem getting a teaching job where ever she went, but I will always be the wildcard with my stupid English degree. Maybe I need to go back to school and make myself more marketable before we consider any of this. The problem is, I really have no clear path that I want to take...another story for another day.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Good question. The offer is for a one year position. Actually, both Poudre positions for which she had face-to-face interviews were one year positions. We didn't know this at the time and when we found out, we almost canceled the interviews. In talking to the principals, my wife became convinced that she would have some sort of position the following year. It's one of those cases where a teacher leaves their position for a year, they hire somebody new to fill the opening, and the teacher may or may not come back the following year. If they don't come back, the job becomes permanent. If they DO come back, she would have first crack at other positions in the district. But nothing is guaranteed, and that, among many other things, gives me pause. If I had difficulty finding a job in that first year and then my wife lost hers, we would be in serious trouble.

If we could do a one year experiment where we could keep our house back here and have the option of coming back to our jobs after a year, I could get behind this...look at it as an extended vacation that might turn permanent if things went well. But life doesn't work that way. You have to take risks in an attempt to better your life, but there's always the possibility you could end up worse off...and I am not a gambler by nature. For us to go to Colorado, we would have to give up everything in Ohio. Sure we could come back if it didn't work out, but we would be faced with rebuilding everything here. I think my regret and disappointment at having to do that might outweigh any regret I would feel at not taking a chance in the first place.

It's a tough decision and it's tearing me up. I don't feel completely at peace with either decision, but right now the thought of moving seems too much to handle...too much to sacrifice. If we did do this, it seems smart to do a lot more research and make sure we find the absolute perfect place for us. And we would probably be a lot better off if I could be the first one to get a job. I'm sure my wife would have no problem getting a teaching job where ever she went, but I will always be the wildcard with my stupid English degree. Maybe I need to go back to school and make myself more marketable before we consider any of this. The problem is, I really have no clear path that I want to take...another story for another day.
That's a tough one then. It sounds like you're leaning towards staying in Ohio given the situation. Not a bad choice. I, for one, am not necessarily a gambler, but I am a bit of a gypsy. Once I settle down for too long, I get the itch to move. I think I'll always be this way. I like the idea of roots, but once I start planting them, I get scared. It sounds like you're the opposite. This move may be too difficult for you given that.

We have been fortunate in that we were able to do the "experiment" for a while. My husband is a nurse, so we did the nurse travel thing for almost a year. We discovered places we didn't want to live!

Your wife sounds like she really wants to make the move though. Is it even an option for her to go for the year while you stay in Ohio until you can find permanent employment in CO? I know that's not ideal, and believe me, it's really hard, but for some people it does work.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

86,829 posts, read 102,134,129 times
Quote:

Given the current state of education in CO today, I would not take a one year postition. Sure, they're going to make it sound like it could be extended, but if it were a permanent postion, it would be permanent (if that makes sense). I know of a teacher with several years experience (I think 6 years) who just got laid off in the Boulder Valley School District. No transfer to another school in the district, etc. Just laid off. There were many layoffs in BVSD this year. I would recommend a google search using the words "Colorado public education funding".

Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Your wife sounds like she really wants to make the move though. Is it even an option for her to go for the year while you stay in Ohio until you can find permanent employment in CO? I know that's not ideal, and believe me, it's really hard, but for some people it does work.
This is actually something similar to what we were planning to do if she took the position. I would not move out to join her until 1 of 2 things happened:

1. we sold the house.
2. I found a job.

I think for someone with my qualifications it would be tough to get an employer to give me serious consideration from a distance, so we would most likely be waiting until the house sells. Most stories I have heard of people around here selling their houses have not been very encouraging. That being the case, we could be looking at being apart for months, maybe a year. I think it would be a lot harder than either of us imagine.

It does sound like my wife really wants to make the move...and she does, but the reasons why are a little complicated. I am actually the one that started this talk and, while I can talk a real good game, she is much better at making things happen. She put in the work and beat out 200+ applicants and now I think the main reason she doesn't want to say no is the thought of all that work being for nothing and disappointing the people who took a chance on her. I'm sure the Poudre people will not be happy and she will probably be eliminated from future consideration. That would be tough to swallow if we decided in a few years that Fort Collins was the place after all. But I don't think her desire for the move goes much beyond that: the shame of changing her mind. When I try to dig into her reasons, all she can really give is the standard "living somewhere awesome" answer. But I can give you about 30 reasons to stay where we are and I can supplement that with the "VISITING somewhere awesome" alternative.

I think my problem is I'm a dreamer, but the reality of dreams coming true terrifies me. Through this experience, I have realized that I do cherish my roots. Yes, I often dream about breaking free of them, but I think my ideal situation would be able to leave them for a few months or a year at a time and then be able to come back like nothing had changed. I like travel but I like to come home at the end of the day, and I don't think moving is really going to scratch that particular itch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area