U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 21,487 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I want to relocate to Colorado, preferably the Fort Collins area but would also consider Denver, Boulder, Loveland, Littleton, Colorado Springs. We are both originally from New Jersey and moved to Florida 5 years ago and I absolutely hate it!!! I miss the change in seasons, can't stand the bugs, and cannot tolerate another miserable humid oppressive summer. We are both 35, have no children, but would like to, enjoy the outdoors and winter sports. We are looking for a place where there is lots to do, good restaurants, culture, schools, etc. My husband is the General Manager for a central Florida based casual dining sports themed full service restaurant. Does anyone know how the job market is in any of the above mentioned areas? I know that both the Boulder area and Fort Collins areas have major universities so I would assume there are many restaurants. Also what is the cost of living like there. We would probably rent an apartment first until we get to know the area. Here we pay 740 a month for a 1 bedroom but our utilities are very high. An average electric bill is about 160, since we pretty much run our ac 24/7. Combined we make about 75,000 a year, if we were to make that in Colorado would we be able to live comfortably? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM

698 posts, read 1,706,820 times
You should be able to live comfortably on that amount in most of the areas you are considering. Boulder is the most expensive of the bunch.

I once heard that Fort Collins has one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in the United States.

Utilities are not too bad in this area. Gas is higher in the winter because of heating costs. Electricity is higher around Christmas and if you use A/C in the summer, but it is not needed that much.

Fort Collins / Loveland have good access to the mountains and many winter sports, but it is a chore to get to lift served ski areas from here.

We don't have as many bugs as Florida, but you will have to deal with mosquitos in the summer.

Jobs are not so plentiful that I would move here without one, or at least some very good leads. It is probably best to try to find a job first and then move to whichever of the communities has your jobs waiting.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Yes I agree we definately would not make the move until my husband has a job. He has his resume out at quite a few restaurants and with a recruiter. The mosquitos could never be as bad as here in Florida, we have them year round. Supposedly scientists here in Florida created an insect called the Love Bug to try to control the mosquito population but I am pretty sure that it is just an Urban Legend. But anyway thanks for the reply. We are hoping to find something quickly I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,929,458 times
I agree with Mike, you should be able to live quite comfortably on that income. I'll defer to him on the cost of apartments but as far as the job I always think leads are all you'll likely generate from a distance. I think to get HIRED you need to be ready and willing to start PRETTY MUCH RIGHT NOW.

There are lots of good restaurants and I don't think getting on with one would be difficult, might not start as a GM, maybe a bit lower. Also don't overlook Estes Park as far the job market, a bit of a commute but lots of restaurants there.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM

Thank you for the additional info, any advice is much appreciated. We will definately consider Estes Park. I don't think we would feel comfortable moving with just a lead though, we dont really have much in the way of savings and we would need to know that we would have an income coming in. My husband has spoken to a recruiter to help him find a job so hopefully something will come up otherwise I may be forced to stay in this hell hole longer.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM

97 posts, read 234,459 times
I have friends who recently moved from Tampa Bay, Florida and they LOVE it here. It took a bit to get used to the weather for them, but now when they go back to Tampa to visit friends they think it is aweful. Fort Collins is a great place, but it is what you make of it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Well the husband has a phone interview tonight with the District Manager for a restaurant in the Denver area. Please pray that it goes well so we can get out of Florida!! A friend of mine told me that if the company offers to fly him out there to interview in person then there is a really good chance that they will offer him a position. Does anyone else know if this is true? I guess if he gets a job in Denver then we wouldn't be able to live in Fort Collins. What are some good areas in the Denver area that we should look at to live. We both enjoy outdoor activities, good restaurants and bars, and a safe neighborhood. Also my husband commutes an hour now and hates it so we wouldn't want to live more than 30 minutes from his job. I believe the restaurant has 3 locations in the Denver area (Littleton, Westminster, Lone Tree) Can anyone tell me about these areas? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

625 posts, read 1,185,295 times
Littleton sounds like it would have what you are looking for ... a small downtown (not sure if there are "good" restaurants and bars there), close to the outdoors in part b/c of location in the SW metro area, and you have the benefit of light rail into downtown Denver.

Near Westminster, there is Boulder county (longmont, louisville, lafayette, superior are all more affordable than Boulder). Westminster and adjacent Broomfield are more typical suburban communities but not a far drive from the outdoors. South of Westminster into the City of Denver are Highlands, and several other nice hsitoric neighborhoods. Arvada also is not far from outdoors (driving) and has a little downtown with some bars and restaurants.

Can't speak for the south metro (Lone Tree).

Old 10-19-2010, 11:52 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,424,116 times
Personally I would choose Littleton or Westminster as well. Littleton definitely has some charm to it with the small old town area. Westminster I'm not as sure about, but with the proximity to Boulder it would be worth considering. Docwatson summed those communities up pretty well. Lone Tree is much further from the outdoors and is more suburbia than a real community, IMO. All of these cities however are within the large blob of urban sprawl, so it's all relative. If he has his pick over locations, you might look at living in Louisville as it has some small town charm. The commute to Westminster is within the 30 minutes or so he's willing to do. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 AM

well we found out today that the position is in Littleton so we are going to look to live there. I like that it has a nice downtown area but is still close to the city. The job prospect is looking very good, it looks like they are going to fly him to Atlanta next week to interview and if all goes well they would offer him the position then. The only problem is that he would have 11 weeks of training in Tucson, Az, which would mean we probably wouldn't be in Colorado until Feb. Oh well I guess I could suffer through. At least I would know I never have to suffer through another Florida summer and winter is pretty nice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area