Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,720 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I, in our late 20's, have been planning on moving to Colorado for quite some time. We plan to move in the early summer and get a place as soon as I find a job, I work in preschool so generally its not too hard to find a position. Anyways we are looking at Fort Collins area and Colorado Springs based on suggestions, weather and research. Just wondering if anyone knows of places outside of C.S. that are more rural. Or if Fort Collins is the better choice. We love all outdoor things, hiking, biking, kayaking and camping. We also like drinking and being able to go to a "downtown". We will be renting, but would love to stay away from complexes. If anyone has any good advice for us, please let me know!!! Im trying to get this planned Also is Fort Collins super military based, my bf was in the marines and is not trying to be around them another 4 years haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 PM

26,130 posts, read 48,760,949 times
COLO SPGS is a huge Army/USAF town.

Fort Collins sound more your bag. Use the Search Tool in that forum with keywords like Teaching, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,939,847 times
Fort Collins has no military presence today. The name refers to a historical fort location from the 1800s but that's ancient history now.

Colorado Springs, on the other hand, is very heavily military with no fewer than 5 major military facilities. If you don't want to live in a military town then Colorado Springs is not your place. If you want a more rural setting around CS; that would be easy to find -- perhaps try Black Forest.

Both towns have a downtown although Fort Collins' downtown (Old Town) is more impressive for the size of the town, and it has a pretty active college scene around CSU campus.

I should mention that Boulder's downtown and campus scene are both quite a bit more active than the Fort's.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,720 times
Hmm now I am more confused than ever, is the military presence in Colorado Springs, very visible, if we lived on the outskirts? I am seeing tons of jobs there. Also is Fort Collins super college town? I think I have this imaginary place in my head where its nice weather, outdoor scenery and not a ton of military or college kids running around. Anywhere you guys know of?!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,587,567 times
Depending on where you live in Colorado Springs, you'll see people in uniform, but it isn't down your throat military presence.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,552,461 times
I think FoCo has as much downtown action as Boulder (ever been to Old Town on a summer weekend?).

Based on what you have said so far, I would not even consider Co. Springs over FoCo.

I think the Springs is a bad choice for people in their 20s, the whole city is mainly military people, retired folks, and people your age with families. I lived there in my 20s, and felt really out of place. The downtown is not very good, and not a place you will go very often (which is very different from FoCo where I would still go to Old Town all the time).

The Springs has better scenery, but for recreation, the two cities are a wash, with both offering myriad of options (FoCo is much better for paddling, and I would give the nod to the Springs for Mountain biking).

I moved from the Springs to Fort Collins, and really could not imagine ever going back to the Springs.

Hit me up if you have more questions.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM

102 posts, read 340,060 times
Not to hijack the thread, but for a family in their low 30's with kids in the ages of 7 to 3, would FoCo be a better choice over COS? Is the weather pretty much the same between the two cities or does FoCo get more snow?

Last edited by adamnlisa; 02-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,124 times
I currently live near COS and I would pick Fort Collins over COS in a heart beat. It has a better "small town" feel, lower crime rate and all around just a nice place to be. It is not as beautiful as the Springs but you are close to everything outdoors you would want to do. There is a very outdoorsy feel to Fort Collins as a whole. COS is a GREAT place to visit but I would not raise my family there. This is just a personal opinion but if I had the opportunity to pick and choose that is what I would do. I think the weather is pretty comparable as far as snow totals and should not make a significant difference.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

102 posts, read 340,060 times
Thanks so much! Now if only my husband could find a job, LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,118,524 times
Well then, let me turn the question upside down: would a retired couple feel out of place in Fort Collins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area