U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,838 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've heard great things about Ft. Collins and would like to spend the month of March in the area to check it out...we're wanting to relocate from gray, rainy Oregon.

I've checked craigslist short term listings but it's mostly college students looking for roommates and I am WAY beyond college age.

Also we'd like to not have to spend the proverbial arm and a leg on lodgings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM

614 posts, read 1,040,196 times
The first places I would try are Carousel Properties executive housing or the Value Place extended stay hotel in Loveland.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM

8,322 posts, read 22,481,894 times
rather than the "extended stay hotel" type accomodations ... which tend to be a not-much-larger than average motel room with a fridge/micro-wave/2-burner range/small kitchen sink ... all jammed into the living area with a desk and a couple of chairs ... all within an arm's length or so of your bed, dresser, and closet. Unless you can get a "hotwire" type seriously discounted rate, these places aren't a very nice place to stay or a good value. And I've stayed at most every chain of these in the Rocky Mountain West over the last decade ... but only when I got a hotwire discount rate, not the rack rate or the internet advance reservation rate ....

do a web search for "corporate housing" in the area of your interest. There's a fair number of these in the Ft Collins area away from the CSU campus area that cater to the technology/manufacturing businesses in the area. You'll get a completely furnished and equipped unit which will be more townhouse or condo-like in it's layout and square footage, with a dishwasher in a nicer kitchen, dining space, working space, and a seperate bedroom. I've stayed in a number of these places throughout the Rocky Mountain region ... again, at hotwire discount rates ... and spent less money than a lot of the extended stay places for a lot nicer environment. These places depend upon their reputation for their corporate and relocating clients, and are much more responsive to the tenant's needs and expectations ... and generally quieter than the extended stay hotels. As a manufacturer's rep, these places were also typically nice enough to bring a client over for a business presentation in the living/dining area, which you won't find in the extended stay hotel accomodations. In having to be on-site for several weeks, these places were downright comfortable ....

In a slow ... non-tourist ... season, you can be very aggressive about asking for severely discounted rates for your month's stay. Contact the on-site property managers from their web site listings and ask if they can help you .... I've negotiated rates for the nicer places that were even less than the extended stay hotels.

Another possible source of a furnished townhome/condo rental may be some of the complexes in the area that have vacancies and are trying to get any revenue they can out of the units. Again, I've located some of these completely furnished places on-line and was surprised to find out that I could have a 2-bdm/2bath unit of 1,200 sq ft for the same amount (or within a couple of dollars per night) as a discounted rate on an extended stay hotel. (I even did this once in a suburb of SLC at a time when SLC was fully booked up at premium rates for a major LDS convention!). So take your time to do your research for available housing at a decent rate and possibly get a good deal .... and a much nicer visit than in an uncomfortable motel.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-27-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,838 times
Sunspirit,

thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply

Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

97 posts, read 151,594 times
Have you tried www.Hotwire.com? I know when we were visiting here we just Hotwired a room and got the Hilton(which is really nice on Prospect) for $50/night. The choices might not be the same now but you should check it out.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM

8,322 posts, read 22,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonKlein View Post
Have you tried www.Hotwire.com? I know when we were visiting here we just Hotwired a room and got the Hilton(which is really nice on Prospect) for $50/night. The choices might not be the same now but you should check it out.
You've got to keep in mind that Hotwire doesn't allow you to choose your lodging, it only gives you a general area and requirements menu ... and doesn't tell you where they've obtained the accomodations to fulfill your request until after you've committed to the stay.

That's why it's important when you're contacting the property management directly to ask them for their Hotwire rate for lodging.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM

374 posts, read 529,445 times
WE STAYED AT BEST WESTERN in Loveland right off of 25 for 2 weeks while we looked around. It was pretty affordable and they were open to negotiating a longer stay rate.

There is one other short term rental place right off of I 25 and they usually advertise on craigslist.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM

11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
inquire at some churches. Many folks keep separate guest qtrs for visiting grandparents, missionaries, caregivers...

Ft Collins has plenty of large progressive churches that should have many choices of lodging / areas for you. I've traveled for 25 yrs using 'guest-home' directories ($10-$20 / night) + you get LOTS of knowledge about the area from your host. If you are over 50, you can use Evergreen Club as one of many choices.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

97 posts, read 151,594 times
I have clients staying at the Value Place in Loveland for $199/week currently. They say its fine, you need to bring your stuff and they don't clean every day but looks good.
http://www.valueplace.com/extended-s...s-CO-Loveland/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area