Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,189 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to narrow down locations as we have finally decided to make the big leap. I have some minimum qualifications:

LOTS of sunshine, fresh air, I like trees and nature, relatively mild climate, I can handle SOME snow and SOME humidity, I prefer dry heat, but am not attracted to the desert area, good schools, low crime, parks, an area that belives in a realtively healthy lifestyle. It would be nice to be within 1 hour of a college, hospital and airport. My husband would like to stay on the East Coast (North Carolina area), but I have been looking at Colorado. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
If "some snow" is an issue for you ... then you've ruled out Colorado. Much of the state, especially where there's trees (which may be very minimal compared to lower elevation riparian climate areas of the country) has an extended winter season with the potential for lots of snow each year.

In the mountains, of course ... you can count on a lot of snow. The "front range" of Colorado, where most of the population is at, is built right at the foothills of the mountains.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMouse1 View Post
I have been trying to narrow down locations as we have finally decided to make the big leap. I have some minimum qualifications:

LOTS of sunshine, fresh air, I like trees and nature, relatively mild climate, I can handle SOME snow and SOME humidity, I prefer dry heat, but am not attracted to the desert area, good schools, low crime, parks, an area that belives in a realtively healthy lifestyle. It would be nice to be within 1 hour of a college, hospital and airport. My husband would like to stay on the East Coast (North Carolina area), but I have been looking at Colorado. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
As sunsprit said, we have snow here along the front range. Some years there is a bunch and some years there is less. Last winter a lot of folks around here complained due to having snow on the ground much of the time from November to March, but this year there has been little snow at all.

While we do not look like a desert, our climate is reasonably arid. It takes quite a bit of irrigation to grow green things here, but there are many irrigated trees in the towns. Newer housing typically has smaller vegetation around it, while older homes often have larger trees. However, outside of the mountains there are few trees between towns.

Your remaining requirements basically have described much of the Colorado Front Range just out of the mountains. It is difficult to find yourself more than an hour from a college, hospital and DIA. There are many good school districts in the area and relatively low crime on most towns. Colorado tends to rank pretty highly on the healthy scale with many residents having active lifestyles.

Good luck in your search,
Mike

Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM

49 posts, read 82,407 times
Why dont you narrow your search down by looking at statistics, i.e. safest cities in the US and then go on from there. That's what I did.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
If "some snow" is an issue for you ... then you've ruled out Colorado. Much of the state, especially where there's trees (which may be very minimal compared to lower elevation riparian climate areas of the country) has an extended winter season with the potential for lots of snow each year.

In the mountains, of course ... you can count on a lot of snow. The "front range" of Colorado, where most of the population is at, is built right at the foothills of the mountains.
I don't necessarily agree that too much snow being an issue rules out Colorado. They can get big snowstorms, but so does the East Coast. An added plus for snow (outside of the mountains of course) is that it usually doesn't stick around very long. Your biggest snows are usually in October, November, March, or April so even they tend to go away pretty quick. I only remember a couple of big snowstorms in the mid-winter. Those stick around a while, but not like in Maine where once the snow is down you won't see the ground again until some time in March.

So if too much snow is an issue, I would say that the mountains are probably ruled out, but front range cities like Fort Collins not necessarily.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMouse1 View Post

Sunshine and fresh air you've got it. Trees and nature you've got that too. Anywhere there is a river or stream, there are trees. The willows on the Cache La Poudre River in Fort Collins are beautiful. True, there's lots of prairie land without trees as well, but you can find plenty of trees if you look for them. And nature watching and bird watching are great everywhere.

As mentioned, snow could be a problem, depending on what you mean by SOME. Humidity won't be a problem. It's not a desert. There are lots of good school systems to research. The Fort Collins-Loveland area is definitely low crime with plenty of parks. And Colorado is one of the least obese states in the country.

Hospitals are good. Major colleges include CSU in Fort Collins, CU in Boulder, Metro State & CU-Denver in Denver, and UNC in Greeley along with plenty of community colleges. In Fort Collins you may be slightly over 1 hour away from DIA, and that's the only major airport in the area.

North Carolina is very beautiful. It has much higher humidity than Colorado but also much less snow, so pick your poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area