U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 62,598 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Fort Collins, how far is it to skiing? I have seen similar threads but not real sure how weather/time of day affects drive times. I am also wondering if anybody has info regarding Wyoming resorts. How far would the drive north be and how good is the skiing. I believe the ski area was called Snow King(?) and I think I was told it was outside Laramie.Is this a more viable option than Colorado areas due to traffic etc? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 AM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
The weather affects the drive in the usual way: snow slows it down. Time of day: early morning, late afternoon, early evenings are the worst. My DD is always playing some little game to avoid traffic and never accomplishes her objective. Ft. Collins is farther from the resorts on I-70 than metro Denver.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,347,741 times
The closest ski area to Fort Collins is Edlora down near Boulder/Nederland. It's about a 1.5 hour drive. If you're heading to Vail, Aspen, or Breckenridge, plan on an hour to get to Denver, then a couple of hours to go across I-70, depending on road conditions and traffic. By the way, if you do I-70, DO NOT do a Saturday to Sunday trip. The traffic coming back from the ski resorts on Sunday is horrid.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,764,529 times
There is a small ski area not far from Laramie called Snowy Range (very popular with UW students). Some FC people go there for a change of scenery or to avoid people. It would be slightly closer than the I-70 resorts and on a weekend probably a quicker trip, but on the other hand it would be smaller and further away than Eldora, which is still your closest option.

Another option, if you live in Fort Collins, is to take CO-14 (Poudre Canyon) up into the mountains to the town of Walden. From there, you can head down to Winter Park, or over to Steamboat Springs. This way would certainly be slower and longer than going along I-70, but you don't have to worry about traffic. It does make for an interesting alternative if you're in Winter Park and know that I-70 traffic is will be horrid. For steamboat, it's may be slightly faster even if traffic isn't a factor. If you're an Intrawest pass member (which now includes a steamboat option), that's something to consider.

This probably is a better option for you if you live in the northwestern part of Fort Collins. If you're in the southeastern section of town, near the interstate, it probably becomes less attractive since you'd have to go through the length of town on your way back.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM

423 posts, read 1,801,902 times
I know a lot of people from Fort Collins who ski every week. They do not let the drive slow them down. Weekends are definately not good as far as traffic goes. I heard that Steamboat is great anytime because they have so many ski areas that too many people is never an issue.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I know a lot of people from Fort Collins who ski every week. They do not let the drive slow them down. Weekends are definately not good as far as traffic goes. I heard that Steamboat is great anytime because they have so many ski areas that too many people is never an issue.
I used to ski Steamboat a lot when my cousin had a condo there. I do not agree with that. It gets crowded like all the rest of them. Plus, it gets the destination skiiers who stay there for a week at a time or more.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 62,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
For steamboat, it's may be slightly faster even if traffic isn't a factor. If you're an Intrawest pass member (which now includes a steamboat option), that's something to consider.

This probably is a better option for you if you live in the northwestern part of Fort Collins. If you're in the southeastern section of town, near the interstate, it probably becomes less attractive since you'd have to go through the length of town on your way back.
What are we talking in drive time roughly?

Has anyone here skiied Eldora? If so, what can you tell me about the place? All that comes to mind is that it is windy.
Thanks to all for your help.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post

Has anyone here skiied Eldora? If so, what can you tell me about the place? All that comes to mind is that it is windy.
Thanks to all for your help.
Drive time from where? Someone already said about 1 1/2 hrs from Ft. Collins. (Eldora) It's about 1/2 hr from Boulder. I have skiied it a few times and found it OK for my ability level. Some friends from DC just saw it for the first time this weekend, and thought it looked better than anyplace they have been back east, and they've been to many. I told them I've heard it gets windy.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-13-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,764,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
You mean taking this alternate route, through Walden? If weather isn't a factor, maybe 3.5 hours to Steamboat, closer to 4 hours for Winter Park.

If traffic and weather isn't a factor, you can probably get up to Winter Park in about 2.5 - 3 hours taking I-70. So the previous route is only a good idea if you're on a weekend with the horrible traffic that entails.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM

23 posts, read 133,029 times
Ft Collins is not the place to move if you want to ski often. This is a bad location for skiing. Consider Denver area as a better / closer option. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area