Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 37,846 times

Advertisements

I agree with the post that the anti-California sentiment was largely based on the real estate market at the time, obviously much different now.. Same as in Arizona, where the housing prices were inflated by California investors. But even then, I think it was more a generalized idea than a personal one. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all, Coloradans are usually quite tolerant, live and let live kind of people, and generally very friendly. People don't get too caught up in negativity, they tend to focus on enjoying life. Looking up everyday at those gorgeous mountains help keep it all in perspective..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 46,479 times
Thank you Thank you everyone!! Mike I didnt realize the timing of the forum thank you for pointing that out. I was just trying to find out anything I could got into their convo then started having a panic attack last night lol when I kept reading. I hope to make it my new home, friends, a new life. My poor husband sits on the freeways an hour and half each way out here in Calif so we are looking forward to a better quality of life. So when I came accross that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I appreciate you all taking the time to ease my mind a bit. I promise we will try to be an asset to your beautiful state. So on that note can anyone recommend whether it would be better to live in Ft. Collins if he is working in Loveland or making homebase loveland as well? Thank you.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
:stands up, raises hand:

I'm from California. IE too.

Been here in CO more or less 4 years.

Nobody cares. 1/2 of people here are from somewhere else too (many from CA).

We're just the scapegoats for "ruining CO" for some (a very small amount of) people. It rarely comes up in regular conversation -- and if it did, they take a risk at sounding ignorant (remember, the stuff you read on TripAdvisor was said behind a computer screen).

Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrteam View Post
So on that note can anyone recommend whether it would be better to live in Ft. Collins if he is working in Loveland or making homebase loveland as well? Thank you.
Loveland tends to be a bit more affordable and a bit quieter. There is more happening in Fort Collins, but housing is a bit more expensive. Either way, your husband's commute will not be an hour and a half and you will hardly notice traffic. Both are good choices. Perhaps you could move here and rent while spending time in both places and seeing which fits your personality best.

Good Luck!
Mike Weber

Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
I lived in Loveland a lot of years, moving there from the Coast being born and raised in California and live there till the doctors ordered us out due to the smog killing my wife if she stayed. I ran my own commercial real estate office and have some kids and grown grand kids there in Loveland so I can speak from experience.

Being accepted in Loveland depends on your attitude.

If you have the California nose in the clouds syndrome that so may have, constantly saying how California is so much superior to Colorado or any where else you will have problems in Loveland or any place outside of California.

If you are a friendly person wanting to get to know your neighbors, you will have no trouble.

This advice is the same for anywhere you live.

I live in Montana now, and it is the same here. We moved in and found the nicest friendliest people you ever saw living here and were immediately accepted. On the other hand, I have seen some people move here from the west coast with the California is so superior attitude, it is a wonder some of the cowboys don't take them out in the mountains and teach them some manners. Except the people in Loveland and Montana are both too gracious to do so.

From the attitude you say you have, you will have no trouble in Loveland. Anyone that has problems are the ones going around asking for trouble by running down Colorado and the locals for being such hicks.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 46,479 times
Mike thank you we are for sure going to have to rent a home first, so thank you for the advice. I am looking daily trying to find something that fits us. Old trader thank you for your first hand advice coming from California and your experience. Im happy to leave California because of that kind of attitude from people . Im not that person at all and nor do I ever want to be. Im looking forward to making some new friends and my new Colorado adventure thanks to you all easing my mind a bit!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,677 times
Haha - also moving from California in less than a month.

Yes, we currently live in the county of Los Angeles ... We're moving because WE HATE IT HERE. We're originally from the Sierra Nevada area and have lived in Chicago and Los Angeles areas for work/school. We by no means have the attitude which turns people off and we're extremely excited to raise our daughter in Colorado. The only thing I'm really afraid of is the snow as I haven't driven in it in years - haha!

I will be driving to the area this week to secure our rental house and will have California plates. I come in peace!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM

98 posts, read 237,762 times
My husband, son, and I moved to Colorado from California in July. We LOVE it here and have had nothing but good experiences. We briefly lived in Loveland, but moved to Fort Collins as we liked it so much better. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. I am a SAHM, and love to be helpful!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Never apologize about being from California. It's part of who you are.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Never apologize about being from California. It's part of who you are.
...and there's nothing we can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area