Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM

192 posts, read 470,738 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of relocation people are looking between the two and I thought I would share my observances. Just my opinions, feel free to correct or add.

I do in-home consulting and spend a lot of time in both areas and find the two towns very different.

The people: Fort Collins clients are mostly "down to business" folks. Loveland people are more down to earth and engaging.
Loveland people seem to have more extended family in town and deeper roots.
Fort Collins society is more "up with the times". Loveland seems more settled.
I often find in Loveland that most people have a pretty good relationship with their neighbors.
Fort Collins people are more current on fashion trends.
After 5pm, the streets are pretty quiet in Loveland. Fort Collins is much more active in the PM.
In Loveland, I see mostly familys in the parks. Fort Collins, more couples, dogs, or individuals in the parks.

The location:
Fort Collins is newer. Wider streets, more subdivisions, more commerce mixed throughout the neighborhoods.
Loveland has much better views of the mountains.
The Down Town areas are polar opposites. Loveland is quaint, almost sleepy. Fort Collins is active and "touristy" feeling.
Loveland has a better access to the mountains, Boulder etc...
Fort Collins feels much more current in the commercial construction.

Having lived in both, I wish there was a happy medium, but at least we have do distint choices. Once again, these are very generalized statements and are only my opinion. I bring this up because many outsiders will see the two towns so close on the map, but I feel that they "feel" like two entirely different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Oh yes, generally FC = College town + aspiring young (and old) professionals. More 'outdoorsy / fad recreational' tad Hyper... Soccer moms rushing around in SUV's. Pretty 'self-sufficient' jobs, culture, supplies. (County seat, CSU, shopping hub of county + Laramie + Cheyenne (in the old days / pre-Centarra / Factory stores). You have lots of options for doing stuff, but actually know few people in the community.

Loveland more family / low key (Ag based and founded) + bedroom community of Longmont / Boulder / Denver. Plenty of locals and engagement for local identity and community spirit. You often know LOTS of people in the community. You can get decent local culture or have access to Boulder / Denver / Ft Collins when you need something BIGGER.

Best be getting your Valentines in !!! Pronto. Loveland Chamber of Commerce - Valentine Program

The towns are quite different and each can offer you a good quality of life, BUT beware of the differences when you choose, as you may be very sad if you don't consider you future needs / interests / desired pace of life.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
can you expand on "fad recreation"?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
can you expand on "fad recreation"?
having endured both NoCo and now 30 yrs of PNW recreationalists...

"fad recreation"= Typically for the more well off / those capable of spending $$$ to 'look good' or be 'technically superior equipped' ... REI / Mountain Hardware / $1000 bikes and canoes.

i.e.... You would expect joggers / runners / hikers / bikers / kayakers / climbers from Ft Collins to show up in their $30k SUV and sporting racks and wearing high tech apparel.

...While in Loveland you might find kids / adults having a great time sliding down snowy hills on tarps and using their dad's innertubes while wearing bib overalls and 'overshoes'. (having arrived in their 15 yr old $2000 minivan with gear strapped on with bungee cords).

Neither is better, just that they are 'different'. For example, there was very little Ft Collins Traffic in the Buckhorn Canyon when I lived there as a kid (it was dirt / gravel road.). When it got paved (oiled), all the sudden, the fancy folks showed up buying properties and complaining about manure smells and free range... Thus us locals were motivated to leave for more 'friendly' places. Nowadays... the areas we ranged our cattle and recreated as kids on our horses are criss-crossed with trails and folks wearing boots and backpacks more expensive than our horses.

Just the price of progress...
Not unlike Anaheim, where orange groves filled the area, and going to Knott's Berry Farm was to buy a pie, have a chicken lunch, and enjoy their farm / gardens.

& Jax Surplus was actually "Army Surplus" and stocked smelly ole WWII Pea coats for $20... The price of progress!

BTW: I still ski in my bib overalls and Frostline 'Kit' Coat (Boulder Store circa 1976) Also have my 'Frostline' Bike Panniers too!http://www.oregonphotos.com/Frostline1.html

As well as 'Camp 7' stuff (Boulder circa 1980)

I call this 'Eco(no) Recreation'

Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM

747 posts, read 578,892 times
Default age difference

Fort Collins median age is 27 and Loveland median age is 36 from what I read on their websites. Big difference.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM

718 posts, read 1,984,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Fort Collins median age is 27 and Loveland median age is 36 from what I read on their websites. Big difference.
I am not surprised by that difference. However, one thing to keep in mind when considering this statistic is that there are 20,000+ students at CSU, most of whom are between the ages of 18-24. This may skew the figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area