Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:13 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it - at least, I didn't see the tell-tale words in a cursory scan of the posts - but Drake was hit by huge flooding several years ago. In fact, part of the road between Loveland and Estes Park (and including Drake) is even currently shut down so they can make repairs. A drive on the road through that area shows the effects of the torrential water / scorched earth principle. There have been a fair number of homes nearby that are condemned and falling apart. I guess you could get some cheap deals there though

Winters would probably not be very pleasant there, deep into the rocky cliffs of that area, with not a lot of sun exposure (maybe none at all for months?) I'd hate to think of having a medical emergency, and having to quickly get to either Loveland or Estes Park, with all those winding roads and twists and turns. It's impossible to go fast in either direction. Throw in snow and ice, and you'd really got a dangerous setup. But hey, some people want to live risky, or at least not think of the hazards. Risky Business anyone?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-24-2017 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:16 PM

431 posts, read 351,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it - at least, I didn't see the tell-tale words in a cursory scan of the posts - but Drake was hit by huge flooding several years ago. In fact, part of the road between Loveland and Estes Park (and including Drake) is even currently shut down so they can make repairs. A drive on the road through that area shows the effects of the torrential water / scorched earth principle. There have been a fair number of homes nearby that are condemned and falling apart. I guess you could get some cheap deals there though

Winters would probably not be very pleasant there, deep into the rocky cliffs of that area, with not a lot of sun exposure (maybe none at all for months?) I'd hate to think of having a medical emergency, and having to quickly get to either Loveland or Estes Park, with all those winding roads and twists and turns. It's impossible to go fast in either direction. Throw in snow and ice, and you'd really got a dangerous setup. But hey, some people want to live risky, or at least not think of the hazards. Risky Business anyone?
I know all about the recent flood as well as the '76 flood. 34 is supposed to be open by Memorial Day. They have made many repairs but it is always going to be a concern.

The property I'm looking at sits on top of a hill so it has 360 degree views and direct sunlight. I don't think I'd want to live down by the river in the valley for the flood and lack of sun issues.

I'll bet I can get to Estes pretty quickly on the winding road though (if there is no traffic)!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I know all about the recent flood as well as the '76 flood. 34 is supposed to be open by Memorial Day. They have made many repairs but it is always going to be a concern.

The property I'm looking at sits on top of a hill so it has 360 degree views and direct sunlight. I don't think I'd want to live down by the river in the valley for the flood and lack of sun issues.

I'll bet I can get to Estes pretty quickly on the winding road though (if there is no traffic)!
Actually... the most recent flood took out ALL the roads from Cedar Park to Estes, so... your closest way out of Cedar Park would have been down the North side to the Buckhorn canyon (was hit, but not as hard as Glen Haven and Drake), then to Masonville and over Horsetooth to Ft Collins. Both Rist Canyon and the Lower Thompson were impassible. (as was the Poudre).

Helicopter would have been handy for the first 4 weeks after the flood (and now... that you can't use 34 till next fall)

There are some decent NV spots outside Carson City. Direct Flights to Denver from Reno will solve your CO family trips. While working... income tax free state is handy. Helped me escape 16 yrs early. once retired... more choices of states, but SD or AK still is tops as a domicile. SD only required ONE overnight stay per lifetime!!! (Whatever you do... don't trigger CA domicile Stay AWAY from there as needed.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:11 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Nope, that's impossible. Traffic or not, there's no way past the reality of the road design, geography, and laws of physics. If you want to try to go fast, you'll end up careening off the drop-offs along the edge of the road, into the river bed far below (don't expect heavily-reinforced concrete or guard rails out there). Or worse, you'll collide with and kill others going around the sharp corners. It's physically impossible for a vehicle to stay in a narrow lane while making a very sharp turn at any significant speed. Please warn up all before you move there, so we can take Hwy. 36 and stay alive.

Coming back to sanity, it does pay to have knowledge of much of the country, and opening others' minds up to other possibilities. Thanks goes out to SR for trying to help in that regard. I see so much in the way of "It's Colorado or nothing" in others wanting to be here. On the other hand, after living here for years, I see that the many - and my family included - would do much better elsewhere, and find a better fit in locations other than CO.

In the end though, it's near impossible trying to get matters across to some. It's do or die, and only first-hand experience that works for them. For that, none of us can help.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-25-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area